Back to Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

Manipulating big data distributed over a cluster using functional concepts is rampant in industry, and is arguably one of the first widespread industrial uses of functional ideas. This is evidenced by the popularity of MapReduce and Hadoop, and most recently Apache Spark, a fast, in-memory distributed collections framework written in Scala. In this course, we'll see how the data parallel paradigm can be extended to the distributed case, using Spark throughout. We'll cover Spark's programming model in detail, being careful to understand how and when it differs from familiar programming models, like shared-memory parallel collections or sequential Scala collections. Through hands-on examples in Spark and Scala, we'll learn when important issues related to distribution like latency and network communication should be considered and how they can be addressed effectively for improved performance. Learning Outcomes. By the end of this course you will be able to: - read data from persistent storage and load it into Apache Spark, - manipulate data with Spark and Scala, - express algorithms for data analysis in a functional style, - recognize how to avoid shuffles and recomputation in Spark, Recommended background: You should have at least one year programming experience. Proficiency with Java or C# is ideal, but experience with other languages such as C/C++, Python, Javascript or Ruby is also sufficient. You should have some familiarity using the command line. This course is intended to be taken after Parallel Programming: https://www.coursera.org/learn/parprog1....

CC

Jun 08, 2017

The sessions where clearly explained and focused. Some of the exercises contained slightly confusing hints and information, but I'm sure those mistakes will be ironed out in future iterations. Thanks!

CR

Apr 10, 2017

Great introduction to spark. Fun assignments. Since it was the first ever session, there were quite a few kinks with the assignments. But the discussion forums rescued me any time I was stuck.

151 - 175 of 395 Reviews for Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark

By Eric L

Apr 09, 2017

Demystified the subject for me. I felt like the lecturer covered a considerable amount of material in relatively short time. The assignments helped to cement the knowledge acquired over the duration of the course.

By Ravishankar N N

Sep 15, 2017

Superb course..very detailed and useful.. highly recommend

By Liqun Y

Jun 30, 2017

Very useful. Dr. Miller apparently did a very good job. I strongly suggest beginners to read the "Learning Spark" book and then take this class.

By Roman Z

Apr 14, 2017

I like the course tempo very much. It kept me away from doing anything else while listening to the lectures.

By Emanuel E d S O

Oct 22, 2017

Excelente curso. Já trabalhei com Spark, mas tive a oportunidade de aprender muitas coisas novas sobre ele. Achei muito interessante a abordagem sobre as novas estruturas de dados que chegaram nas novas versões (para mim, pelo menos, pois trabalhei com a versão 1.6). Recomendo.

By Darcio

Apr 04, 2017

Excellent and broad view of Spark and its design foundations. Besides the formal knowledge of Spark, it could change my perspective about how Scala and Akka had a crucial role in the Spark architecture.

By Fedor C

Aug 31, 2017

Very interesting course! Thanks!

By Kovalenko S

Jul 17, 2017

Курс очень понравился, спасибо большое за ваш труд!

By Walter D

Jan 01, 2018

Great course to get going with Apache Spark. Would recommend to someone who has java or scala experience already and wants to learn about distributed processing.

By Igor Y

May 29, 2017

This is my first cource review on English, but I want to do accent on Heather's high professionalism, great explanations abilities and great organisation of material. I need to say that I have education of computer science teacher and I can say that it's wonderful cource. It was difficult for me and I've really increased my skill. Thanx.

By Aleksander S

May 05, 2017

Amazing lectures, and challenging tasks to do on the way. I really enjoyed going through the course, and I learned a lot.

By Shiyan C

Mar 06, 2018

Wish we could have an in-depth spark class that cover spark streaming and structure streaming.

By Thomas Z

Feb 10, 2018

Good course. Can recommend it for everyone who wants to get into the field of data-science.

By Arnaud J

Jun 02, 2017

Great course. Would definitely recommend.

By Venkat

Jun 01, 2017

Awesome video lectures by the instructor. The content is very good and i fee i gained good knowledge. I really loved the series.

By vikas s

Jul 28, 2017

awesome course content

By Jose M N F

May 28, 2018

Great course. Thanks for everything.

By vijay k k

May 07, 2018

Good course to learn it

By joao d s

Apr 09, 2017

Really helpful, it's a really good way to get to know how spark works as well as a good round up on basic data mining.

By Javier R C

Jun 30, 2017

Great introduction to Spark. Very interesting lectures, slides and assignments

By DAVID J A

Mar 01, 2018

Simply brilliant.

By Luca D S

Dec 01, 2017

It surely opens your mind, even on unrelated topics, I found myself able to apply some of the distributed computing logics even to imperative sequential programming. Good job.

By Thierry M

Feb 01, 2018

Very complet and accurate about Spark with Scala. Maybe an assignement with MongoDB or the like would be a plus

By OUMOUSS E M

Jun 18, 2017

Very good course, it is a must for anyone who is starting in spark using scala, thanks a lot, it did really help me

By Mihir S