Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

KK
Sep 14, 2020

Hello Kristin\n\nThank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

AL
Jun 3, 2019

This was an amazing course that really helped me with my medical writing skills and understanding how making things clear for all audiences can help in spreading scientific knowledge across the world.

351 - 375 of 1,910 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By FRANCESCA C R B

May 18, 2021

Me encantó el curso, muchas gracias :) aprendí de escritura académica y además, cosas básicas de que debieron enseñarme en la universidad, por ejemplo, la entrevista a científicos, redes sociales para actividad científica, y los procesos editoriales. Muchas gracias :)

By Melvin J N G

Nov 12, 2018

What a wonderful course. It is the first time I have complete one at Coursera, and I must say it has set a high bar. I wish in the future, a longer version of Writing only is provided—the last modules, while very helpful, seem to be a bit more than I currently needed.

By Fereshteh Z

Nov 25, 2019

I did not expect an online course to contain such high level of efficiency. It was very well planned and I used a lot of the advices in my paper. I recommend people, who just want to start writing their paper, to take this course. It is very professional and helpful.

By Courtney W

Nov 30, 2020

This course has improved my writing immeasurably, and I believe it helped me gain a promotion earlier this year. There are only two changes I would make: including examples from different fields – not just medical research – and updating the section on social media.

By Barb M

Mar 14, 2021

This course helped me evaluate my own writing and apply the writing skills taught in this course, which greatly improved my scientific papers writing. It broke down each lesson with active learning assignments that allowed me to apply the writing principles taught.

By Utkarsha S

Apr 21, 2021

The course was comprehensive with equal weightage given to the use of language and the manner of writing. This course explores manuscript, review and grant writing, as well as writing recommendations. I would recommend this course to all those who are in science.

By Kartik S

Sep 2, 2020

This course upscaled the conventional ways of gaining a quality education under the strong mentorship of a brilliant instructor. I recommend this course to those who find professional writing, challenging but are determined to re-work on their foundation. Cheers!

By Ziva A

Jun 26, 2020

Great course for writing in the sciences. This course does a great job of covering scientific writing for journal publications and beyond. Great presentations and great content! The forums are also very helpful for more helpful links and great ideas from peers.

By Midnite K T

May 24, 2021

A wonderful breakdown of how to get started writing and/or write better. I'm heading back to grad school this fall after completing my undergrad over 10 years ago. This course really helped me feel more prepared to get back into reading and writing academically!

By Sridhar B

Jul 30, 2020

This was my first online course ever and perhaps it will be one I enjoyed most. Dr. Kristin Sainani is a great teacher. Her lectures have created deep impact in my thought process. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn how to write science.

By Bo P

May 29, 2019

This course was fantastic. As a new entrant to the sciences and after struggling for a while with the switch from creative to scientific writing, this course was perfect. I would highly recommend this for everyone from undergrad to PhD and everything in between.

By Ana R A

Aug 23, 2021

Enjoyed every part of it! This course is extremely helpul for young investigators or recent graduate that are about to start the daunting task of writing a scientific article. For non-native speakers, it does requiere a good level of English but it is worth it.

By Katon K

Dec 12, 2018

This course can make any writer improve their writing. I enjoyed the edit demonstrations with the downloadable text samples. The exercises prepare you for the quiz and the peer-review assignments provide quality feedback. Overall tremendous learning experience.

By IGOR P

Mar 24, 2021

Excellent course, for beginners who need introduction to science, recent PhD's who need to develop some real life science skills, and even for seniors who need to revise some methods and improve skills in writing whether for science community or lay audience.

By Antonia P

Mar 2, 2021

This course was extremely helpful. Since I have prior experience writing manuscripts and grant proposals, my reason for taking this course was to improve my editing skills and streamline my writing process. Dr. Sainani most certainly helped me achieve that!

By malak b

Jan 28, 2021

I have enjoyed this course, and I got a lot of information that is so important in writing in the sciences, although I'm not an English native speaker, but I understood almost every thing in this course. thank you Dr. Kristin Sainani, you are a great teacher.

By Ivan M M

Jul 7, 2020

A fresh and inspiring course that unveils a clearer approach to the way that science can be communicated, from writing papers and reviews to scientific articles for the general public; quite catchy for everyone that enjoys science, communication and writing.

By Sukrut K

Jun 1, 2020

This is one of the best courses available. It goes through the basics of scientific writing, writing grants, lay audience science stories, to preparing for interviews. Balanced weekly materials make the 8 weeks journey very pleasant. I strongly recommend it.

By Oskernel R

Oct 27, 2018

This course provides applicable and easy-to-follow guidance on writing and communication in general.

Dr. Kristin Sainani is a humorous and methodical instructor who can explain things inside out, taking the big pictures and the nitty-gritty both into account.

By Tanmay N

Jul 3, 2021

As a young researcher (PhD student) the course was very helpful. Kristin was very good at conveying the key points across. I would say every PhD student should take this course if he or she has not got a chance to have something similar at their university.

By Helena C

Dec 7, 2020

It was a great course, Kristin Sainani is an amazing teacher and writer. The classes are very interesting and profitable. From now on, I will read articles with a critical view. I'm sure this course will help me a lot when I write my first scientific paper.

By Nisha T P

Nov 13, 2020

A well-crafted course and excellent course for research scholars. Very methodological, easy to understand modules. Thoroughly enjoyed doing the assignments. It sure enhances your confidence in research writing. Thanks to Dr Kristin and her team at Stanford.

By Roshan V

Aug 6, 2020

Loved this course! I learned so much more than i thought i would. i had lots of fun doing the assignments. Every single module was exciting and interesting. Excellent tips by the instructor Dr. Kristin Sainani. Looking forward to many such courses by her.

By Bingquan Z

Mar 9, 2020

Prof. Sainani is extremely helpful and the course is well prepared. It is the best writing course I had taken - not only the best in English writing, but also the best including my own language. I really appreciate Prof. Sainani's devotion to this course.

By Liubov S

May 14, 2018

It's incredible! I didn't take any classes in scientific writing at my vet school and it was so hard for me to understand what I need to write in my manuscripts. I've learned so much with this course. Thank you! I will recommend it to all young scientists.