Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

RH

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent class. Prof. Ghrist has a great teaching style, and his idea to use Taylor Series first is quite effective. Many functions I have shied away from in the past are now familiar to me.

101 - 125 of 265 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Brian N A

Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed the course, and I will be taking the other parts of it too. The problems seem well designed to expose flaws in your thinking. I still feel somewhat shaky on some topics, but I would say the overall concepts came through very well, and the journey through them was cohesive and well laid-out.

By Nirmala R

Sep 26, 2016

The visualizations were fantastic!! Loved the course.

By EDILSON S S O J

Mar 11, 2016

Amazing!!!! The best course ever!!!!!

By Adam O

Mar 29, 2017

This was very explanatory and helpful. I would recommend it to many of my friends and colleagues.

By Dmitry K

Oct 29, 2016

Very interesting and enlightening!

By Michael G D

Jan 19, 2018

Brilliant, great

By Juan E B B

Feb 27, 2016

Realmente muy bueno, es un reto para los hispano-hablantes pero vale la pena

By K.S.S.UDUPA

Jan 27, 2016

This module is fully exhaustive. You will also understand why we need series expansion of a function at a given point and its convergence and other applications. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

By Andrew M

Mar 26, 2016

Difficult but rewarding, explains some really lovely math!

By Aleksey C

Dec 29, 2016

When I retake homework tasks I try to fix tasks I failed on previous attempt. IMHO it make sense to not repeat them all but provide only tasks that were solved incorrectly. Repeating ALL tasks just wastes my time for reentering correct answers and is error-prone process.

By Mikael S

Mar 02, 2017

Great professor, explain very clearly and give example. I liked!

By martin p

Dec 25, 2017

Excellent approach to calculus with top notch material

By Jason

May 29, 2017

Best Calculus ever!

By José C I Z

Jun 03, 2017

very good approach

By Dmitri M

May 14, 2017

A useful refresher of my university courses! Thanks.

By 马包威

May 29, 2017

Awesome!

By CMC

Jun 26, 2018

The course is rigorous. I managed to learn something about Big-O that I did not know before.

By Reza

Nov 11, 2016

I learned a lot of things. Thank you.

By Valerie C

Mar 07, 2016

I found this course to be very helpful, challenging, informative, and well-made. There was obvious a lot of time and effort put into making the videos. I have a good amount of math experience, but I still found it challenging and interesting. I'm very happy to have found this resource.

By Anna S

Jun 30, 2016

Good and difficult

By Yizhou H

Apr 27, 2017

A pretty great lecturer makes a good impact on my own study in math.

By Maarten B

Jun 20, 2017

A very inspiring course, especially with such an awsome professor

By ali e

May 21, 2017

easy pace.wonderful teaching videos.

By Paras J

Jan 10, 2017

The course material was balanced and the Assignments questions were well selected.

By Nikita S

Apr 30, 2018

Unexpectedly interesting course on Calculus, some of the extra problems are really difficult. With a total of 109 problems and many colorful lectures, it is one of the best courses on Calculus in English. - Nikita Skybytskyi, winner of the International Mathematical Olympiad