Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

RH

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent class. Prof. Ghrist has a great teaching style, and his idea to use Taylor Series first is quite effective. Many functions I have shied away from in the past are now familiar to me.

101 - 125 of 273 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Juan E B B

Feb 27, 2016

Realmente muy bueno, es un reto para los hispano-hablantes pero vale la pena

By K.S.S.UDUPA

Jan 27, 2016

This module is fully exhaustive. You will also understand why we need series expansion of a function at a given point and its convergence and other applications. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

By Andrew M

Mar 26, 2016

Difficult but rewarding, explains some really lovely math!

By Aleksey C

Dec 29, 2016

When I retake homework tasks I try to fix tasks I failed on previous attempt. IMHO it make sense to not repeat them all but provide only tasks that were solved incorrectly. Repeating ALL tasks just wastes my time for reentering correct answers and is error-prone process.

By Mikael S

Mar 02, 2017

Great professor, explain very clearly and give example. I liked!

By martin p

Dec 25, 2017

Excellent approach to calculus with top notch material

By Jason

May 29, 2017

Best Calculus ever!

By José C I Z

Jun 03, 2017

very good approach

By Dmitri M

May 14, 2017

A useful refresher of my university courses! Thanks.

By 马包威

May 29, 2017

Awesome!

By CMC

Jun 26, 2018

The course is rigorous. I managed to learn something about Big-O that I did not know before.

By Reza

Nov 11, 2016

I learned a lot of things. Thank you.

By Valerie C

Mar 07, 2016

I found this course to be very helpful, challenging, informative, and well-made. There was obvious a lot of time and effort put into making the videos. I have a good amount of math experience, but I still found it challenging and interesting. I'm very happy to have found this resource.

By Anna S

Jun 30, 2016

Good and difficult

By Yizhou H

Apr 27, 2017

A pretty great lecturer makes a good impact on my own study in math.

By Maarten B

Jun 20, 2017

A very inspiring course, especially with such an awsome professor

By Jon M

May 19, 2018

I love this course and Professor Ghrist!

By Ujjwal K

Jan 04, 2018

I sincerely thank the professors and the coursera.org team for bringing out to the public this excellent course.

By Lau C C C

Jun 20, 2018

Excellent for 1st semester of Calculus

By Stephen w

Jun 02, 2018

This course is difficult, and sometimes is not easy to know how to correct the homework questions since there are no analysis of them and the answers in the forum are not quite complete.

By Tom W

Jul 08, 2018

very interesting and fun course! it's not an easy course. but it worths the challenge. highly recommended!!

By MAHRISHI T