Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

RH

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent class. Prof. Ghrist has a great teaching style, and his idea to use Taylor Series first is quite effective. Many functions I have shied away from in the past are now familiar to me.

151 - 175 of 265 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Shahen K

Jun 30, 2016

One of the best courses I've ever taken.

By Hoagy C

Sep 30, 2017

Very well explained, well set out, interesting concepts - highly recommended. Would have liked it if the 'Challenge' question sets were a little more thought provoking rather than (often) just requiring more computation - there were some interesting ones (the ln(lnx) question comes to mind) but didn't add as much depth as they could have.

By Patricia B

Jul 11, 2017

Best calculus course ever.

By Wanying P

May 11, 2017

Very good course and format, highly recommended!

By Raimundo G

Jul 12, 2017

A great review!

By 赵天旸

Jan 21, 2017

It is a little difficult for me I think, but the professor is really good.

By Daniel M

Apr 15, 2016

I have already taken it once. I am taking it again now. A wonderful course. I am always amazed at how clear Prof. Ghrist's explanations are. Thanks for this course.

By Eric H

Jun 18, 2017

Lectures are clear and well presented, slides are dynamic and very well done. Prof Ghrist put together an excellent course.

By Kumail H A H

May 22, 2017

Excellent course! Prior exposure to Calculus (familiarity with a couple famous derivatives and integrals) is helpful, but you're sure to learn much more than that in this course. I have deepened my understanding of limits (not just the notion of a limit, but working out limits is now more intuitive to me) and stuff like l'hopital's rule seems logical now.

Starting with infinite series, with contrast to leaving it at the end, which is the standard in such courses, was brilliant!

Highly recommended!

By Jarrod K

Nov 11, 2016

Fantastic applied mathematics course for students interested in engineering. Extremely challenging but amazingly rewarding.

By Фесенко Г Е

May 20, 2017

Great course, thank you! Easy explanations for complecated math theorems is exactly what I wanted to see in online course.

By Sachin M V

Nov 01, 2016

Makes all basic clear

By 张柏豪

Oct 09, 2016

wonderful class, and i am looking forward to the next part.

By Lijia L

Feb 27, 2017

I like this course very much. Prof. Robert Ghrist is humorous, and the mentor is very helpful!

By Walter C G V

Sep 19, 2017

MUY BUEN CURSO EXCELENTE PRESENTACIÓN DE LA INFORMACIÓN PARA LAS EVALUACIONES.

By Océane W

Nov 14, 2016

Hope to give more examples

By HRUSTIC E

Jun 09, 2017

Really nice, well explained and entertaining course !

By Aurora M G

Feb 28, 2016

It is very interesting, but I miss a hard due date.

By Alejandro C

Oct 24, 2016

The best course I've ever taken.

By David A

Oct 25, 2016

Professor G is awesome!

By Petr S

Nov 16, 2016

I liked it a lot! Sometimes it was too difficult, but I rellay liked it!

By Carlos A

May 03, 2017

It was great, the lectures were amazingly done, I loved all the colors and stuff made.

Clear and understandable.

Exercises not too hard, not too easy.

Our starting point is Euler's identity and Taylor Series, wich we take as a given. I didn't like it very much, but, overall, it accomplishes its goal.

By LIU Y

Mar 02, 2017

clear, interesting and impressive

By 黎健钊

May 01, 2017

learn a lot about calculus which is different from China Calculus Book, Thank you so much...

By ZIXIANG Y

Jun 17, 2018

I would highly recommend this course to those who are trying hard to study calculus in Chinese universities but having a hard time understanding calculus. After finishing this course, you will find it useful to use Taylor Expansion to solve limit problems in tests.