Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

RH

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent class. Prof. Ghrist has a great teaching style, and his idea to use Taylor Series first is quite effective. Many functions I have shied away from in the past are now familiar to me.

176 - 200 of 264 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By 柳毓(Yu L

May 22, 2016

Fantastic! Changed my view of Calculus!

By 顾雪

Mar 31, 2017

good

By israel

Feb 16, 2016

Jun 21, 2016

Excellent!

By Thairo M T d S

Jan 10, 2017

É incrível ter a experiência de poder realizar um curso tão rico e bem fundamentado de cálculo. Desde o começo, há uma ligação entre os assuntos, descobrindo não como ocorre em algumas aulas de cálculo que certos teoremas "saem da cartola" como mágica, e sim com a ajuda de algumas equações que, a partir do desenvolvimento algébrico delas, abrem o universo das séries de taylor. O que, sem dúvida, culmina na excelente demonstração do lim x->0 (sen x)/x e de L'Hopital.

Porém, é necessário, como o prof. G diz, já ter visto cálculo e ter uma certa maturidade. Recomendo fortemente um caderno ou um bloco de anotações, será bastante útil tanto como recordação ou como material para revisar. Excelente curso!

By 王雨嘉

Jul 19, 2016

Wonderful

By RAJATH G K

Jun 11, 2017

Its a very good course. I learnt a lot from this course...

By Cameron C

Jan 11, 2016

Excellent! Learned a ton! Lots of hard work, but great payoff.

By Chris F

Nov 05, 2017

I found this course to be very stimulating. It has been a while since I have studied Calculus. I took it a while ago and also have taught it but this is wonderful and frustrating at the same time. Some things you think you know, you need to go deeper . The use of the Taylor Series was interesting and for me different, but I see how it all comes into play and am looking forward to other sections that w ill hopefully follow.

By DY.Feng

Apr 29, 2017

Awesome course!

By Brittany B

Feb 01, 2016

What a great course! I can tell that a lot of thought and effort went into the structure and material of this course. Firstly, I liked how the first week started off with just the diagnostic test which exposed some weak areas and gave me the time I needed to review some topics that I had forgotten (like inverse trig). Secondly the lectures themselves were clear and easily digestible with lots of cool visuals to facilitate memory and understanding . Thirdly, I'm already seeing the pay-off for learning about the Taylor series first, especially when it comes to evaluating limits. Lastly, I actually had fun learning calculus which for me is a big deal since I usually have to struggle terribly to learn anything math-related. I'm looking forward to the next section.

By ASHWANI K J

Jan 11, 2016

This course really boost up the knowledge of Calculus with depth of understanding.

The quiz of challenges were really awesome.

By Jerome C

Dec 26, 2017

Great class. That is a good reminder of what might have studied in university

By Gabriel Q

Sep 12, 2018

a great course to look at calculus in a different perspective, prof ghrist became one of my fav teachers as he paint with a subtle beauty the mathemathics he explains i'm thrilled to continue this journey of math thanks to him, and this is probably the go to class to expand and deepen on the wonderfull world of Taylor series and a functions in general, also free quizzes, lots of them!

By Omar J

Sep 29, 2018

A very challenging course that makes the quizzes and challenges sweet and passing it even sweeter!

By Guanni Q

Aug 28, 2018

The Pre-calculus is really helpful and meaningful. It deeps my understanding of math.

By Yakovenko I

Aug 27, 2018

Very informative and insightful course. Visualisations and overall presentation are outstanding. Course material is provided in an innovative way and can be a perfect addition to a classic rigorous calculus course. Many real-life and beautiful examples are given, which support motivation and interest to move further along the course. However some prerequisite knowledge in calculus is required to fully enjoy the course material.

By thanhthanh2502

Sep 01, 2018

the content is very useful.

By Zhu L

Aug 19, 2018

This is an excellent course, thank you professor, your analysis process helps me a lot!

By Himanshu B

Oct 06, 2018

Excellent Course for brushing up on functions.

By shahin s