Back to Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy by University of Manchester

The course introduces the three key spectroscopic methods used by chemists and biochemists to analyse the molecular and electronic structure of atoms and molecules. These are UV/Visible , Infra-red (IR) and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopies. The content is presented using short focussed and interactive screencast presentations accompanied by formative quizzes to probe understanding of the key concepts presented. Numerous exercises are provided to facilitate mastery of each topic. A unique virtual spectroscopic laboratory is made available to enable students to measure and analyse spectra online. Assessment is via summative quizzes completed during the course period....

SA

Jul 02, 2019

It was a good experience to learn online. This course increase my knowledge an i gain new concept which are very helpful for me and guide me in this field more. thank you

AK

Apr 13, 2019

This course gives comprehensive overview on various spectroscopic techniques providing a large deal of underlying theory and also technical details in laboratory work.

51 - 75 of 93 Reviews for Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy

May 11, 2019

nice course

By peter h b

Nov 07, 2017

I enjoyed doing this short course. The presentations were good & at the right level for me. I particularly like doing the lab quizzes. They were just right.

However,there is a problem with some of the answer in the quizzes. I must admit, I cheated on one of them by taking the advice offered in a discussion thread & opting for answer A several times so I did well but feel a little chaste. Clearly some of the answers given are not correct & they are pointed out in the discussions. I enjoyed doing the final quiz but again I'm quite puzzled by some of the answers given. I shall look out for more courses offered by Manchester Univ. This has been my second course and I've enjoyed both. Thank you for filling my day.

By Parag B

Feb 21, 2018

I have previously taken an Analytical Chemistry course but it has been over 8 years since I took it. The pace of this course and its contents allowed me to pick up where I left off. My only concern is that there are questions in the quizzes and exams that are not found anywhere in the lecture slides. Thankfully I saved my old Analytical Chem textbook and was able to reference it. Also Week 3's quiz has some bugs in it that several of the students complained about where correct answers were scored as incorrect.

By Anastasiia R

Mar 29, 2020

A very good course overall. Lab assignments were also pretty great! However, in certain topics, like the assignment of IR spectra wavelengths to functional groups, and MO transitions, the material was not detailed enough, and was misleading during the completion of quizzes. Also, the formatting of quiz questions was sometimes broken or incorrect (e.g. displaying 106 instead of 10^6). Nevertheless, the material was well-presented and explained, and I certainly found it useful.

By prapulla b

Oct 10, 2017

This course helped me understand the spectroscopic concepts in a simpler and a more easier way,I found interesting will solving the practice problems and the quiz.This course is really helpful in analyzing the structure of the organic compounds using spectroscopic techniques like IR, UV and NMR spectroscopy.

I would like to thank Mr.Patric sir for making the concepts easier and simpler.

By uppala v v s

Jun 14, 2017

There is a lot of theory for spectroscopy which i was expecting, for example in UV/VIS spectroscopy there are rules to measure the maximum wavelength value of the compound based on conjugation and pi bonds. Also some of the tutorial questions were abstract which were hard to get the solution without additional information. But a good source to recap vital concepts

By Colin E

Jan 05, 2018

Some of the answers were wrong in the week 3 quiz and I'm pretty sure I got more answers correct than were actually awarded marks in the final quiz. The content of the lectures was very informative and well put-together. The lab sections are inspired by genius. Thank you Prof. O'Malley and Coursera for the provision of a very good course - all things considered.

By Seema S S

Apr 03, 2020

A wonderful must take course for anyone interested in pursuing chemistry. All the videos were extremely insightful and the notes just made understanding easier. I would have, however, liked a bit more explanation on the spectrums. I found the questions based on the spectrums a bit tough due to the lack of complete explanation. Overall, a great course.

By Prabesh J

Jul 03, 2017

Great course. There is a good room for improvement. May be a more numerical problems could be added. More exercise problems could also be helpful. I hope the team at Manchester University continues developing the courses like this. In sum, really great course. helped me fill some gaps in my knowledge in spectroscopy.

By Fernando V P

May 26, 2018

Me gustó el curso, lo disfruté y aprendí. Sólo me hubiera gustado ver más al profesor, como en una clase presencial, y no sólo ver las diapositivas explicadas por él. El material del curso es bueno, y los cuestionarios realmente te ponen a pensar.

By Mostafa A A A

Jul 23, 2017

the course is great, but if you add mass spectroscopy part, it would be better. Also, there are a technical problem in week 3 and final exam in marking certain questions where the system marks it wring although it is right.

By Saul U

Apr 02, 2020

It is a course with excellent content that gives you a good introduction to the world of molecular spectroscopy. Unfortunately, there are technical errors in the quices that need to be improved to make it a 5-star course.

By Rupam G

Oct 26, 2017

Some of the questions had wrong answers in the system and hence the actual marks shown is not reflective of the exam. Please see to it that the system has correct answers.

By Nathan P

Feb 20, 2020

I think for the NMR spectroscopy, more examples should be given on how to read an NMR scan and determine the possible molecular structure.

Everything else was great.

By Ali A

Jul 30, 2017

Very useful and overall rating is very good. However, there is some error in the grading system related to some questions, hope to be checked.

By Yue Q

Jun 22, 2017

content too simplified which covered most fundamental knowledge but hasn't associated with many questions in quiz.

By Manasi

Oct 21, 2019

INFORMATIVE AND VERY VERY HELPFUL, IF YOU WANT TO PURSUE YOUR CAREER IN ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY OR EVEN BIOTECH

By Sohyla M A

Jan 19, 2018

I guess it would have been the best course if more details to some topics was added.