Back to Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate by Google

Start the UX design process: Empathize, Define, Ideate is the second course in a certificate program that will equip you with the skills needed to apply to entry-level jobs in user experience (UX) design. In this course, you’ll complete the first phases of the design process for a project that you’ll be able to include in your portfolio. You will learn how to empathize with users and understand their pain points, define user needs using problem statements, and come up with lots of ideas for solutions to those user problems. Current UX designers and researchers at Google will serve as your instructors, and you will complete hands-on activities that simulate real-world UX design scenarios. Learners who complete the seven courses in this certificate program should be equipped to apply for entry-level jobs as UX designers. No previous experience is necessary. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Empathize with users to understand their needs and pain points. - Create empathy maps, personas, user stories, and user journey maps to understand user needs. - Develop problem statements to define user needs. - Generate ideas for possible solutions to user problems. - Conduct competitive audits. - Start designing a mobile app, a new project to include in your professional UX portfolio....

TB

Sep 29, 2021

This course is very good & massively designed for student's who are biginner in UX field. The lecturers are also self proffessional experienced UX designer. Is not is great for carrier!!! Pretty cool!

AC

May 10, 2021

Beautifully designed course that is user friendly, and SUPER easy to use/navigate. The course has engaging and entertaining content that makes it easy to stay engaged and motivated. Nice job Google!!

1176 - 1200 of 1,426 Reviews for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

By Inna L

By Sultan F

Jun 7, 2021

By Deanna C W

Jun 14, 2022

Overally this course was very informative and fun! It's unfortunate that a lot of people seem to not take the course seriously, though. I came across many incomplete assignments in the peer review sections. I also wish my peers gave me actual feedback rather than just "good job" or "nicely done." I'm here to learn and improve and I don't feel like the community is helping me do that.

I also think it would be helpful if there was one main scenario that the practice assignments focused on rather than going back and forth between the different examples (CoffeeHouse, dog walker app, pizza app, etc.). I think seeing how the different steps play out in order in one scenario would give us a better idea of how the process works. I like having the other examples for some variety, but I think they'd be better if they were used as extra practice for those of us who want to try applying what we've learned in different situations before applying it to our portfolio piece.

By Sylvia P

Mar 21, 2022

The selection of the project to be worked on takes place at a very early stage, where the learners are not yet aware of the next steps to be taken in this course in relation to the project, so they may choose an inappropriate project. This is a problem because not all Sharpen prompts are projects for which all the steps that are then required during the course can be completed. In addition, Sharpen's promts are not diverse enough, and the same promts are often repeated. I think that the projects in Sharpen should not be repeated, should always be different and there should be a Back button with which the user can go back to the prompts he has already seen. But above all, it should be explained briefly at least about everything that will be done in the course in connection with this project, so that the student can choose the right project.

By Mardolfh D R

May 27, 2022

I believe that the course itself is essential and helps students like me to develop UX skills. However, I think there should be smoother way in selecting portfolios. For example, there should only be like 3 portfolio selection and each portfolio can have an exemplar, so that we can validate if we are on a right track. Additionally, some portfolio will have a challenge on the competetive audits, just like mine, it's client management app, and I have to go over and see what competitors are there for me and mostly will need some payment to actually see the app. If we can do a simulation type of competitors for each of the portfolio selection, that will be really great. Thanks!

By Nantana L

Jun 26, 2021

This course is very useful. Hands on experience is great. I have a suggestion about the assignment on week 5 of this course that grading may be broken down into more points. For example, Competitive Audit Report has 2 points of each items. In fact, some peers don't do well to get 2 but may get 1.5. As for Competitive Audit, there are total 2 scores for Rating those comparison items. In fact, some peers don't do even half or more than half a little bit. In summary, I think the task or question that need lots of work or input to be done may have score more than 2 to give chance for reflecting performance better.

By Russell L

Sep 9, 2021

Interesting introduction into starting to learn more on practical ways to empathize with users, through personas, user journeys, problem statement etc. However, the reading part of the course is where I particularly struggle with. I normally take double the time to read through the information. As I want to get the most of the course, I go through the additional articles that are optional. It would be good idea to mention how long the additional reading could take (mention on the approximate time in the vertical task toolbar).

By Vrushali U

May 26, 2022

The course content was useful but the last part peer reviews for imaginary competitors felt like a far-fetched idea. It took too long to get everything together and then peer reviews were a disappointment. The peers who are reviewing don’t bother to leave any comment/feedback Or they themselves do not have any idea about what is right or wrong. I felt the last assignment was very tedious and I would have benefited from a proper instructor review on this one.  Crazy8 exercize was fun and nicely explained.

By Leah I

Jul 12, 2021

The instructor was very easy to listen to and engaging, it's obvious she's a great asset to Google's Research Team! The only thing that was distracting in the videos is the monitor and back of the laptop. I would recommend positioning the instructors like you do with Shabi and others, so that they're the focus. She finally did use the monitor in 1 part of the course. Michaels' set up was the same, and I don't believe he used the monitor at all.

By Kevin W

Dec 23, 2021

This course has been a great experience for my UX journey. It has proven constructively difficult at times whilst offer entertaining and supportive guidance during times of ease. I do wish that the course elaborated on the Crazy 8's topic. For a commonly used skill set that is rather difficult to master due to inherent time restraints, I would have hope to see more exercises and interactive examples of the Crazy 8's.

By Heather D

May 13, 2021

Very interesting for someone coming to this field cold. A big step up from the first course, though -- I skated through that but put in hours of work in this course! Four stars because I wish there was some mechanism to interact with an instructor. Peer grading is useful most of the time, but I would love to get expert feedback now and then, and/or attend a live seminar and have the opportunity to post questions.

By Tricia B

Aug 6, 2021

The course material is great, and it's setting me up to make a portfolio quite nicely! Unfortunately, the peer-reviewed assignments are not so great, since the rubric requirements are generally vague and peers don't tend to give in-depth feedback very often. The course layout is also changing up a bit right now as well, and I don't know if that's a consistent thing, but it's a bit disorienting.

By Jamie E

Oct 28, 2021

This course was really good! It provided a solid foundation for the beginning of the Design Thinking Framework. The instructor and guest speakers were all personable and knowledgable. My only request is that there would be additional coverage on how to form a problem statement and more detail regarding the "Define" stage. Overall, definitely worth taking to understand the framework.

By D S

Dec 28, 2021

Great course! Valuable information and practice in regards to Competitive Audit, but definitely takes more time than alotted and might be best suited for team work or broken down into smaller parts. Having to search for relevant websites also took some time. And honestly not sure how to answer some questions like, how do the competitors rate themselves (very subjective).

By jide m

Jul 6, 2021

The end of some sections usually don't lead to what was promised in the last few seconds of the video. For example, "and that is the end of empathy mapping. Next, we will see how you can use these maps to create personas." The next video or section doesn't even lead to personas. It isn't annoying at first, but it happening frequently is the problem.

By Anand K

Oct 18, 2021

This course is little challenging for beginner/ introvert like myself. Conducting interviews, creating persona, writing user story, creating problem statement all these were new to me. But once I've finished this course, a feeling of accomplishment was felt. Great learning curve personally! Thank you Google for creating this course.

By Shamimeh N

Apr 11, 2021

I learned a lot of things from this course and veing able to carry out all that was asked for makes me feel proud. just one little thing, if i could download the reading materials that are not web articles that would have helped a great deal because i enjoy reviewing from time to time and making sure i remember the essentials.

By Gemma G

May 10, 2021

Course 2 was a long course. The final project became a little confusing and I felt tied to the assigned project, but I did my best. Later I realized I used a presentation template instead of a report template and did way more work than I had to do. But so far so good. This is great information, presented in small chunks.

By Minaketan O

Apr 13, 2021

Great continuation to the course, some of the topics can be hard at first but as soon as you get used to it with practice, it gets easier. The only problem was that a lot of the materials were reading, so it was a lot of articles linked which was fine but would have loved more videos or longer video lengths.

By Craig S

Aug 21, 2021

Good for starters! I recommend reading all of the optional material; there's a lot to be learned from other resources, while taking these courses. I didn't benefit much from the Coffee House portion of this course; I focused mostly on my own project. Didn't seem necessary to split my focus between the two.