Back to Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate by Google

Start the UX design process: Empathize, Define, Ideate is the second course in a certificate program that will equip you with the skills needed to apply to entry-level jobs in user experience (UX) design. In this course, you’ll complete the first phases of the design process for a project that you’ll be able to include in your portfolio. You will learn how to empathize with users and understand their pain points, define user needs using problem statements, and come up with lots of ideas for solutions to those user problems. Current UX designers and researchers at Google will serve as your instructors, and you will complete hands-on activities that simulate real-world UX design scenarios. Learners who complete the seven courses in this certificate program should be equipped to apply for entry-level jobs as UX designers. No previous experience is necessary. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Describe common UX research methods. - Empathize with users to understand their needs and pain points. - Create empathy maps, personas, user stories, and user journey maps to understand user needs. - Develop problem statements to define user needs. - Generate ideas for possible solutions to user problems. - Conduct competitive audits. - Identify and account for biases in UX research. - Start designing a mobile app, a new project to include in your professional UX portfolio....

AC
May 10, 2021

Beautifully designed course that is user friendly, and SUPER easy to use/navigate. The course has engaging and entertaining content that makes it easy to stay engaged and motivated. Nice job Google!!

RS
Mar 23, 2021

A great foundational wealth of knowledge on how to start the UX Design process. This information really helps you build a framework for the coursework within the Google UX Design certification.

1 - 25 of 300 Reviews for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

By Rachel L

Mar 24, 2021

Very good course with a really solid project to follow through each week. Going through all the steps helped me think about project design with an eye towards the user experience in new ways.

By Joshua

May 3, 2021

The creators of this course seem to just skip over necessary steps in the UX process. Multiple people have mentioned these issues in the discussion forums.

By Ramiro C

Mar 16, 2021

Very wordy and not really any meat to the content.

By Roman K

Mar 25, 2021

Don't like the speaker

By Gunay H

May 3, 2021

Some assignments were confusing (week 5) - the google drive file was not opening (week 5)

By Barbara P

Apr 27, 2021

The course material was great - very informative and thorough. HOWEVER, I have had consistent problems accessing the Google docs for course 2. I can't finish the week 5 assignment to complete course 2 because I'm denied access. The only other option is to download a file that I can't open either, because I don't have a Microsoft account. Others have posted on the discussion forum that they've had the same problem, so it's not just me. I moved on to course 3, but I have no idea if I'll be able to access files that I need to download. If I have the same problem, I'm considering saying that this course was a waste of time and money.

By Mark C

Jun 2, 2021

C​ourse was great but I'm not happy with the fact that my assignment has not been graded and its been almost a month now.

By Emma S

May 19, 2021

Emily is an absolutely fabulous instructor! She speaks at the right speed, she is lovely, her voice is harmonious, and I had the sense that her enthusiasm to help us learn was genuine. I'd take any class she teaches. The material in his module is great too! It was much more difficult than I imagined it would be, but that's good. Having to do everything twice (once for the Coffee Shop example, and once for my own project) is great learning experience. Thanks! I look forward to the rest of the courses.

By Melanie R

May 24, 2021

I wish there was a way to dispute some of the peer reviews or to have an actual instructor double check the peer reviews because I was peer graded incorrectly and had to resubmit the same project three times just to be graded appropriately. I also wish there was an easier way to reach out to an instructor with questions.

By Alice Y

Mar 10, 2021

This course thoroughly explains the process, and the psychology behind it. I feel very confident about the solution after walking through this process. This is a great course for cross functional partners to an UX designer too!

By Ravi S

By Alexej C

Jul 3, 2021

Very great course for both a UX beginner and someone who already has some basic knowledge, but would like to go through the whole process of researching customer needs from the very beginning.

By Melissa H B

Jul 8, 2021

Though I rated this course above average, it could use some work in certain areas. It's above average because t​here are many excellent elements, including links to outside reading for further in-depth understanding. I learned a lot and find the content very engaging.

W​hat I found confusing and frustrating were the time assessments and some of the course structure.

Examples:

1. Google tends to underestimate the amount of time assignments will take. I often spent 3-4 times longer to complete peer graded assignments than the stated time calculation, meaning that missed deadlines were common. Other students in the forum, and an off-site chat room, have given the same feedback. I suspect that the time assessments were made by experienced UX designers who can whip through these activities with ease. Many of us UX students are brand new to this, and are still absorbing basic concepts.

2​. In this course, topics that will be needed in course 3 were introduced both before and after the competitive audit activity, which was confusing and took time away from the lengthy work of completing my 1st competitive audit. The ideation part, with the Crazy Eights exercise is the main example. It would make sense to complete a competitive audit first before ideating. Again, this feedback is backed up by other students.

3​. Now that I've started Course 3, I see that we don't spend any time ideating before jumping in to the wireframing and design prototype phase. In course 2, we did an ideation exercise for the CoffeeHouse scenario. There was no mention that to prepare for Course 3 we should ideate for our personal projects. This means that before getting into the work of Course 3, students must back-track and go through the ideation process.

4​. Why is this important? Because the course is designed to be completed in 6 months. While students can take the course at their own pace without penalty, the longer it takes, the more money we pay, and the longer it will take to get a UX job. In future, I think it would be helpful if a little more time were spent on ideation for our personal projects. That could be added to Course 3, making it a 4-week course. I know that these certification courses are new, so I hope that my feedback helps to improve the content and structure of the course.

Thanks!

By Crysten S

Jun 9, 2021

Coursera itself has some ux issues which is funny when taking a course specifically on ux design. Doing the discussions is basically useless because as far as I can tell there is no way to later easily locate your submission or replies to other submissions to actually engage in any type of conversation or discussion. But the rest of the course was excellent! I learned a lot and feel like I really understood the reasoning behind all the steps and methods which is even more important for me.

By Ashfaaq I

May 29, 2021

Hi there! This course was very well designed and had me completely intrigued from the very beginning. Emily is a great mentor and all of her lectures were very well put and understandable. She made sure it wasn't too descriptive neither was the information too little.

The most interesting part of this course was the entire Empathizing phase where we had to really understand a user, interview them, curate an empathy and journey maps. This was a new experience to me and I had a lot of fun and learnt much more about why this step is crucial in order to pave a path towards the design goals for an organization. Overall, this has been an awesome and fun part in my UX career learnings.

Hats off to Emily and The Team at Google!

By Robin D C

Jul 3, 2021

Really interesting but only disappointed that there is no proper guidance for the project we are doing. Discussion forums are useless, since I didn't receive any reply for my very first discussion. So I had to stop and avoid wasting time giving a long paragraph in discussion forum. It will be really good, if we get a chance to consult the lecturers personally, and ask the queries we have and guide us to the good output.

By Lisa D L

Mar 24, 2021

This course was not only informative, but it was fun! I learned so much from the videos and readings. Having the opportunity to complete Activities and add them to my portfolio is invaluable. If you want to learn more about the UX design process and get a better understanding of empathizing, defining, and ideating, this course is what you're searching for!

By Lixia

Jun 5, 2021

I appreciate so much the course, everything is clear and professional, you should definitely try it! By the way, I have created a friendly community(around 940 peers now) to share our path, if you wanna join us, you are welcome :) Contact me on https://www.linkedin.com/in/lixia-divin/

By Tamer A

Apr 14, 2021

All I can say really from my heart thank you, Emily! Although, this course is stuffed with a lot of information and there are some complicated items for me, Emily demonstrated and illustrated it in a very professional way and make it more enthusiastic.

By Fernanda G G

Apr 13, 2021

The research techniques and frameworks in this section were incredible, it is always intimidating to start with a blank canvas but thanks to this I can have a working method.

By Aditya B

May 5, 2021

I loved how this course took me step by step to understand and do research for my app. The templates, and examples you provide were great, and the instructor was AWESOME!!!

By Andrés S

May 5, 2021

Amazing course, it was a challenge for those of us who are new to this whole UX process. But I loved every part of it.

By kiran P

Apr 18, 2021

Very well designed with practical and theory. I recommend this course who want really learn real UX process.

By Sarah A

Apr 26, 2021

The information contained in this course is great and very easy to understand. My only issue is that for many of us the templates needed to submit the final weeks peer reviewed assignment would not give us access and there is no one to contact for help about it.

By Maisura

Jun 16, 2021

Some part of course material was bit confusing, as the example situations were never consistent. So, I couldn't work on any specific case study till the end, except what I have selected from prompts.

But, overall course material was good. Was a great learning!