Back to Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate by Google

Start the UX design process: Empathize, Define, Ideate is the second course in a certificate program that will equip you with the skills needed to apply to entry-level jobs in user experience (UX) design. In this course, you’ll complete the first phases of the design process for a project that you’ll be able to include in your portfolio. You will learn how to empathize with users and understand their pain points, define user needs using problem statements, and come up with lots of ideas for solutions to those user problems. Current UX designers and researchers at Google will serve as your instructors, and you will complete hands-on activities that simulate real-world UX design scenarios. Learners who complete the seven courses in this certificate program should be equipped to apply for entry-level jobs as UX designers. No previous experience is necessary. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Empathize with users to understand their needs and pain points. - Create empathy maps, personas, user stories, and user journey maps to understand user needs. - Develop problem statements to define user needs. - Generate ideas for possible solutions to user problems. - Conduct competitive audits. - Start designing a mobile app, a new project to include in your professional UX portfolio....

TB

Sep 29, 2021

This course is very good & massively designed for student's who are biginner in UX field. The lecturers are also self proffessional experienced UX designer. Is not is great for carrier!!! Pretty cool!

MM

Sep 9, 2022

I love this course! Personally, it took me longer than I thought to complete each challenge, but I loved each step, especially the ideation and research part! I already want to start the next course!

51 - 75 of 1,980 Reviews for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

By Alison J

May 21, 2021

I'm quitting because I don't live in an urban area and can't find any people to interview that would participate in the type of company ideas we were given.

By Monem S

Apr 24, 2021

There are a lot of ways to improve this course assignment.

By Jiacheng G

Apr 24, 2021

The weekly challenge can take you a lot of hours.

By Peter K

Oct 10, 2021

The course is well-designed and the host of it is very engaging. However, the peer review process weighs this one down. A lot of the time, the assignments you'll review are low-effort and simply reposted multiple times until they get a higher score. You'll also spend many hours working through the course content and ensuring it meets the rubric criteria to have people mark it quickly simply to move onto the next part of the course. I also have heard from other people on the course, that they even saw their own work plagiarized and was asked to grade it. I'd recommend treating the grades you get with little weight, and to simply engage with the course content and find your own value in it.

By Graeme M

Oct 24, 2022

Generally good. A bit too much on the activities in this course.

I had to stop working on this for 2 weeks and when I returned all of my activities and assessments had reset to incomplete, which caused me to have to redo all of them. Very annoying.

By Dheep S

May 18, 2022

Its a good course for theory, until you start getting into the meat of the researching and project work as you have no instructors or classmates to ask and bounce ideas off until its too late.

By Chelsea P

Jul 2, 2021

Lots of info here, which is good, but needed an extra week to complete the competitive audit because it is so detailed.

By Jessie

Jul 20, 2022

The content of this course is great but the peer review is a disaster. I get no constructive feedback, just comments like "nice" or even "n/a". I'm not saying that everything I submit is perfect, but I've submitted several assignments that I know absolutely meet each of the grading requirements, but my peer reviewers will award zero points and give no reason why. I'll just keep resubmitting until I get a reveiwer who bothers to put any care into their review, because otherwise I'll fail each assignment. Not a great system!

By Artemis M

Sep 19, 2022

The second course isn't even close to the first one, in terms of explaining how to conduct the assignment. The "optional" coursera videos really help clarify some points, but they don't make thorough explanations. Moreover, I was waiting for many hours for other peers to review my peer-graded assignment, which was not the case earlier on. Lastly, at first they say that you must review two other peer assignments, but when it comes to doing it, they say you have to review three assignments.

By Emma T

Oct 27, 2021

I lost my progress because I missed the deadlines so I had to retake 50% of the course plus redo the final quizes and resubmit the assignment. I reported the issues but I haven't gotten any response from Coursera at all. This just makes me think that you want people to stay on the course longer so that they can pay more. Don't think that's a great experience by any means.

By Queenie C

Apr 2, 2022

My last submission assignment met all the requirements, but the 2 reviewers didn't even take a careful look and failed. This is unreasonable, and this course has no appeal system on this!

By Yani A

Mar 22, 2022

Peer-reviewed assignments in this course are a waste of time and not beneficial. Not what I signed up for.

By K F

May 10, 2022

I have already completed this course, and it's asking I complete it again.

By Sandon H

Jul 16, 2022

For people who've never even seen a computer before.

By Tsvetozar G

May 17, 2022

Not a bad course, but the inadequate Coursera service could possibly ruin it for you. If you by chance have to update/change your payment method (because of credit card expiration, for example) like I did, then your subscription gets automatically Canceled and you lose Coursera Plus' current offer/price and then you are required to subscribe at higher/full price. If you don't do that, then all of your progress goes in vain and you can't get the certificate. It feels a bit like extortion. On the other hand, when you contact their support to resolve the issue, you get practically no support and they explain to you that this is how their system works and they can't do anything about it...

By Jennifer D

Jun 25, 2022

Having other people rate my work that are also students in this program is not reliable. I had some one give me one star for everything and his comment was "Haj". This person completely lied and now I had to go back and resumbit my work in hopes that someone with integrity will rate it properly.

By H M

Mar 31, 2021

This course has really bad assigments and WRONG answers no matter what type of answer in some questions it will be wrong, I recorded 5 times the same questions and all answers are wrong? What type of BS IS THAT? zero stars

By Melisa J

Nov 29, 2021

This course is not showing my true progress. I have completed the course but it's showing my progress is at 13% what?

By Arely R M

Jan 29, 2023

"I just finished the Google UX: Empathize, Define and Ideate course and I am incredibly impressed with the quality of the content. The course gave me a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of user experience and how to apply them in practice.

The focus on empathy was especially valuable to me as I learned to see users as human beings with unique wants, needs, and frustrations. The definition process also helped me focus on the key issues that need to be resolved to achieve a successful user experience.

The ideation process was very practical and helped me come up with a lot of creative ideas to address the identified problems. The course also included a wealth of tools and resources that allowed me to put what I had learned into practice.

In general, I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning about UX and how to apply it in practice. It was a great asset to my career and has significantly enhanced my approach to product design.".

By Khurram A

Jan 26, 2023

Overall, the "Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate" course appears to be a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of user experience (UX) design. The course covers the essential steps in the UX design process, including empathy, definition, and ideation, and provides practical tools and techniques for each step. The course material is well-organized and easy to understand, making it accessible to both beginners and more experienced designers. The course is also interactive, engaging and informative. The instructor is knowledgeable, and provides clear explanations and examples. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning more about UX design and how to apply it in practice.

By Elissa V

Aug 8, 2021

This course focused on the first three phases of the 5 Phase Design Thinking Process: (1) Empathize, (2) Define and (3) Ideate. IGoogle provided an excellent curriculum and the instructor was a good presenter. Anyone taking this course will understand and have experience crafting: Empathy Maps, Personas, User Stories, User Journey Maps, Problem Statements, Hypothesis Statements, Value Propositions, How Might We’s, Crazy Eights and Competitive Audits.  I enjoyed considering important topics along the way like accessibility, and how psychology and human factors influence design. I look forward to the next course in the series.

By Kishori P

Mar 7, 2022

I would suggest that it will be great if there is a seperate section to download the templates like, storyboard template,case study, usability study templates, etc. so that I can use them whenever I want to make a document. I could not find unless I go back to classes and find them if I need.

Other than that I loved this course, everything is to the point and so smooth learning experience. This is the best online course I have taken, it made self study so wonderful , the instrcutions were so clear and easy to follow and interesting at the same time. Everthing is so well thoughtful classes and assignments are great too!

By Nithin P

Nov 12, 2021

This course is a great follow-up to the foundation course in this program. While the first course slowly gave you an idea of the world of UX, this course delves deeper into it by bringing us into the whole design cycle and teaching us the most important parts of UX design: empathizing with the user, defining the problem and ideating solutions.

I highly recommend beginners to pay most attention to this course as understanding this course really helps you move through the next several courses comfortably. The instructor was great in this too, taking time to enunciate all words in a careful and understandable way.

5/5

By Laura S

Jul 23, 2021

This course is on the way to being an excellent way to learn UX design research and thinking. One of the effective aspects of the course design is that for each graded project, there is first a practice project with a detailed exemplar. The only downside of this course is the community aspect. There are so many threads with posts, it's hard to keep track of where you've posted in the past. As far as I know, there isn't an easy way to see if anyone has replied to your posts. I could just be missing this feature, but if it were more obvious, I don't think this would be an issue.

By Madu B

Oct 31, 2021

Greetings, Kindly respond to the following: In the peer review grading rubric there could be an error in the wording as below, please check and advise.: Peer graded Assignment: Weekly Challenge 3 (and also in Weekly Challenge 2) For 1 pt and 2 pts the criteria is the same "At least one feeling was identified for all actions" This feedback channel is not allowing jpg image showing snippet of screen shot of above error, if you advise an email then I can send it. Best regards, Madu Email: farmermadu@gmail.com https://www.linkedin.com/in/maduraibharani