Back to Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate by Google

Start the UX design process: Empathize, Define, Ideate is the second course in a certificate program that will equip you with the skills needed to apply to entry-level jobs in user experience (UX) design. In this course, you’ll complete the first phases of the design process for a project that you’ll be able to include in your portfolio. You will learn how to empathize with users and understand their pain points, define user needs using problem statements, and come up with lots of ideas for solutions to those user problems. Current UX designers and researchers at Google will serve as your instructors, and you will complete hands-on activities that simulate real-world UX design scenarios. Learners who complete the seven courses in this certificate program should be equipped to apply for entry-level jobs as UX designers. No previous experience is necessary. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Empathize with users to understand their needs and pain points. - Create empathy maps, personas, user stories, and user journey maps to understand user needs. - Develop problem statements to define user needs. - Generate ideas for possible solutions to user problems. - Conduct competitive audits. - Start designing a mobile app, a new project to include in your professional UX portfolio....

TB

Sep 29, 2021

This course is very good & massively designed for student's who are biginner in UX field. The lecturers are also self proffessional experienced UX designer. Is not is great for carrier!!! Pretty cool!

AC

May 10, 2021

Beautifully designed course that is user friendly, and SUPER easy to use/navigate. The course has engaging and entertaining content that makes it easy to stay engaged and motivated. Nice job Google!!

26 - 50 of 1,121 Reviews for Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate

By Fernanda G G

Apr 13, 2021

The research techniques and frameworks in this section were incredible, it is always intimidating to start with a blank canvas but thanks to this I can have a working method.

By Ha D

Apr 11, 2021

For assignment rubric, criteria grading should be clear and focused to the quality, so learners can do their assignments seriously

By Judy A

Jul 6, 2021

T​he video content can sometimes contradict the readings. E.g. the definition of edge cases. Also, a lot of content is squeezed within 5 weeks. It feels more like a 6-week course.

By Em

Sep 9, 2021

Everything has been good so far except for the final activity which was the peer assignment. For starters, although i did looked through the grades that did poorly i noticed that only 1 our of the 3-4 corrections didnt make any sense. Immediately after receiving the lower grade i editted my submission and it seems it didn't work, even if my assignment was due in more than 15 days in advance. Sadly, this affected my user experience greatly because someone else decided to poorly read and by consequence, poorly rate my work. At last, it affected my grade and I do care about this, I dont feel accomplished.

By Branden O

Oct 24, 2021

Almost everything feels backwards, the template system never confirms if something was actually saved or confirmed, they have you work on things like your case study before you've even learned how to do everything in it, the order in which they teach subjects and courses just feels incredibly wrong and like I'm simultaneously absorbing nothing and endless useless information at the same time. You have to save info from other sites and you're not told to, and lots of the work is done off of the main site, where it also doesn't confirm if it's saved or submitted or anything. This course has been genuinely irritating at multiple points so far.

By Kyle P

Aug 3, 2021

This is all just fluff. The entire contents of this course is based around soft skills, overly verbose terminology, and an abitrary academic method to address real-world problems which will undoubtedly change before you even finish the introductory video. This absolutely should not be a part of a technical certification program.

By AK C

Aug 18, 2021

A​ll the 4 courses I enrolled in were ok!. I didn't find it great. The instructors were just reading out from the screen. I wanted to experience real teaching. Some assignments were fun, but overall it's time to change the teaching style.

By Ashfaaq I

May 29, 2021

Hi there! This course was very well designed and had me completely intrigued from the very beginning. Emily is a great mentor and all of her lectures were very well put and understandable. She made sure it wasn't too descriptive neither was the information too little.

The most interesting part of this course was the entire Empathizing phase where we had to really understand a user, interview them, curate an empathy and journey maps. This was a new experience to me and I had a lot of fun and learnt much more about why this step is crucial in order to pave a path towards the design goals for an organization. Overall, this has been an awesome and fun part in my UX career learnings.

Hats off to Emily and The Team at Google!

By Ramesh S

May 23, 2021

Good.

this peer Review section is bad some people making false remarks like Shreekant gore.]]

He is not even putting a comment on why he is rejecting I have to do the same.

Also, I couldn't find things to review on. Week 3 what can. I do?

By Alice Y

Mar 10, 2021

This course thoroughly explains the process, and the psychology behind it. I feel very confident about the solution after walking through this process. This is a great course for cross functional partners to an UX designer too!

By Ravi S

Mar 24, 2021

A great foundational wealth of knowledge on how to start the UX Design process. This information really helps you build a framework for the coursework within the Google UX Design certification.

By SarahAvilene

Apr 26, 2021

The information contained in this course is great and very easy to understand. My only issue is that for many of us the templates needed to submit the final weeks peer reviewed assignment would not give us access and there is no one to contact for help about it.

By Andrey S

Jan 5, 2022

Last part was not fun and engaging. I couldn't find any competitor apps for audit in Google, but I've found some sites presenting completed portfolio from this course with the same theme. And they all missed audit section. So it took me a lot of time to find any competitors on the market because of the theme I've chosen. And I'm afraid I will face similar problems in next courses. When I've finally found some competitors it turned out I can't download their app to me iPhone as they were not available in my country. I think course authors should do something about it as theme generator feels completely isolated from real world and proposed you some themes that are hard to complete. This feeling completely demotivates me.

By Lisa D L

Mar 24, 2021

This course was not only informative, but it was fun! I learned so much from the videos and readings. Having the opportunity to complete Activities and add them to my portfolio is invaluable. If you want to learn more about the UX design process and get a better understanding of empathizing, defining, and ideating, this course is what you're searching for!

By Lixia

Jun 5, 2021

I appreciate so much the course, everything is clear and professional, you should definitely try it! By the way, I have created a friendly community(around 940 peers now) to share our path, if you wanna join us, you are welcome :) Contact me on https://www.linkedin.com/in/lixia-divin/

By Tamer A

Apr 14, 2021

All I can say really from my heart thank you, Emily! Although, this course is stuffed with a lot of information and there are some complicated items for me, Emily demonstrated and illustrated it in a very professional way and make it more enthusiastic.

By Aditya B

May 5, 2021

I loved how this course took me step by step to understand and do research for my app. The templates, and examples you provide were great, and the instructor was AWESOME!!!

By Andrés S

May 5, 2021

Amazing course, it was a challenge for those of us who are new to this whole UX process. But I loved every part of it.

By kiran P

Apr 18, 2021

Very well designed with practical and theory. I recommend this course who want really learn real UX process.

By Tawi H S

Nov 5, 2021

Good information, and the ideation exercises were so fun! However, the order and time-allotments for this course were not well thought out. For example: when conducting research, we're taught that recruiting interview participants happens first because coordinating with other people takes time, then we continue with other tasks and circle back to interviews once meetings have been arranged. Instead of mirroring the lessons we were taught in it, the course expected that we'd be able to conduct interviews almost instantly. That we were meant to be done with the whole process in a week is unrealistic. I felt that generally, as we were working towards aspects of our projects, the course failed to consider the amount of time it would take to actually complete these tasks. This makes it difficult for us to realistically plan a timeframe we can finish by. It also generates extra stress, because even though the course is meant to be taken at your own pace, the deadlines and deadline notifications make you feel like you're running behind and you'll be punished somehow if you fail to meet them. There were also two weeks in the middle of this course where I had to take a break for a family thing. If it were truly designed to be self-paced, this wouldn't feel like an issue, but I kept getting notifications and warnings. There was no way to say, "hey, I need a short break. I'll be back." So, are you going to let it be self-paced, or are you going to impose deadlines that threaten the loss of a passing grade if not met? I'm getting mixed messages.

By Maisura J

Jun 16, 2021

Some part of course material was bit confusing, as the example situations were never consistent. So, I couldn't work on any specific case study till the end, except what I have selected from prompts.

But, overall course material was good. Was a great learning!

By Alison J

May 21, 2021

I'm quitting because I don't live in an urban area and can't find any people to interview that would participate in the type of company ideas we were given.

By Monem S

Apr 24, 2021

There are a lot of ways to improve this course assignment.

By Jiacheng G

Apr 24, 2021

The weekly challenge can take you a lot of hours.

By Peter K

Oct 10, 2021

T​he course is well-designed and the host of it is very engaging. However, the peer review process weighs this one down. A lot of the time, the assignments you'll review are low-effort and simply reposted multiple times until they get a higher score. You'll also spend many hours working through the course content and ensuring it meets the rubric criteria to have people mark it quickly simply to move onto the next part of the course. I also have heard from other people on the course, that they even saw their own work plagiarized and was asked to grade it. I'd recommend treating the grades you get with little weight, and to simply engage with the course content and find your own value in it.