Back to Introduction to Systems Engineering

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Systems Engineering by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales)

"Introduction to Systems Engineering" uses a structured yet flexible approach to provide a holistic, solid foundation to the successful development of complicated systems. The course takes you step by step through the system life cycle, from design to development, production and management. You will learn how the different components of a system interrelate, and how each contributes to a project’s goals and success. The discipline’s terminology, which can so often confuse the newcomer, is presented in an easily digestible form. Weekly video lectures introduce and synthesise key concepts, which are then reinforced with quizzes and practical exercises to help you measure your learning. This course welcomes anyone who wants to find out how complex systems can be developed and implemented successfully. It is relevant to anyone in project management, engineering, QA, logistic support, operations, management, maintenance and other work areas. No specific background is required, and we welcome learners with all levels of interest and experience....

RG

Oct 18, 2020

Thank You!\n\nThis course has been extremely helpful for me to develop an understanding of systems engineering so that I can facilitate application of SE to a new technology my company is developing.

NN

Nov 12, 2016

This course gives a lot of insights into the SE activities, which we normally don't notice. This would be useful for the system developers as well System Safety engineers to appreciate the system

151 - 175 of 186 Reviews for Introduction to Systems Engineering

By Sean H

Jan 13, 2020

This is a great course. It content is good and very well presented. The quizzes and and assignments reinforce the material well. Reviewing other students work is a good idea because it allows the learner to see other student's perspectives like in a real classroom. Discussion boards are good and allow for interaction. I gave only 4 stars because I feel that there was too much content related to the dwelling/house example and there could have been more technical system example (eg. car, plane, etc.) also used.

By Victor B

Jul 10, 2017

The first part was very interesting and useful. The exercices very interesting as well. The second part was less structured, with a bit strange and unrelated exercises. Although, it was still useful.

On overall I rank it as four, because it was a really good introduction to System Engineering. Despite the above mentioned drawbacks, after accomplishment of the course, I could easily work with terms related to System Engineering and could understand much more better the design process of the systems.

By Fred W

Oct 19, 2020

The instructors and course materials were good, and I would recommend this course to others. The only difficulty I had was the cadence; my available time comes in "chunks" and at random intervals, while the Coursera course demands a fairly even cadence/interaction for normal execution. I found I was resetting milestones almost every time I logged in. As the course involves peer review, I'm not sure how it could be altered - but perhaps you might find this feedback useful.

By Martin B

Sep 11, 2020

Very good introduction into systems engineering. I came with a background as informal practitioner and could recognize my experiences as part of the framework. Definitely recommend the course.

Reason for 4 stars: too many test questions are focused on what the exact meaning of a definition. While this is important, the questions should be used to test for understanding of the concepts

By Vishal S

Apr 16, 2020

Excellent course on the introduction of The Systems Engineering Approach. All concepts have been explained in simple language. The use of appropriate examples and exercises help us understand the concepts well. I wonder weather tying in a course like "Atlassian: JIRA" which is offered on the Coursera platform would help in learning a tool which is often used in Systems Engineering.

By Emile P

Oct 12, 2016

Very well made, great contents. The only reason I removed a star is it seemed to me there was more topics in the quizes than in the course itself in the first part. It was a bit confusing and the quizes required to look up information on the internet and there was no real way to know these topics would be in the quizes. Otherwise, I enjoyed the class and learned a gread deal.

By Diana C

Jul 28, 2017

Overall, the content was structural and comprehensive enough for a broad Systems Engineering course overview. However, the delivery of the information was a bit regimented and uninspiring. Would have been nice to have added reading material available online rather than through a textbook as I am located in a country that does not have access to these books easily. Thanks!

By Gabriel G C M

Sep 22, 2016

Excellent course! The content is great in quality, quantity and structure!! 5 stars to that! However, I am giving 4 stars since passing the course or not depends mostly on Extension Exercises, which at the beginning seem to be optional but they in fact mandatory.

By Zulfadhli M

Jan 15, 2020

I started learn the course with a strong passion and enthusiasm in systems engineering field. The modules were taught sequentially in the Coursera and I am able to understand it in a certain open system situations.

By Bertrand L B

Jul 29, 2018

I really did appreciate to learn Introduction to SE and test my newly acquired knowledge. The second part from Week 5 to 8 could be considered not as good as the first part but I am fully satisfied.

By Huutri D

Jul 24, 2020

It is difficult to remember all new terminologies from section module 1-4 since we are not using it daily. Section 5-8 are more practical and I enjoyed a lot. Good course and presentations.

By Thet N N S

Apr 19, 2019

In my opinion, this course is a nice course for foundation of system engineering. I think that It will be improved if it is included more practical examples in the course.

By Rodrigo

Jun 13, 2020

+ Very knowledgeable and experienced professors

+Detailed lessons

-Not very clear in their explanation

-Some quiz questions and terms do not appear on the texts

By Alex B

Feb 28, 2018

A good introduction to Requirements Engineering and Systems Engineering, with examples and clear descriptions of what to do, what for and when.

By Richard W

Sep 25, 2019

Good introduction!

I didn´t liked that at I think 2 tests there were wrong questions/answers!

By Sai P D

Apr 20, 2020

It was very useful for me to relate it my work in systems Engineering in Automotive Field.

By Russell S

Feb 06, 2020

A really good introduction to Systems Engineering , i thoroughly enjoyed the program

By saideep n

Sep 29, 2019

Good details and overview of systems engineering processes and examples

By SIMON M E

Aug 30, 2018

This Course is really awesome.

It is just perfect to suit its purpose.

By Kaijun F

Feb 10, 2018

Good for introduction purpose. Could include more practical projects.

By Muad A S D

Jul 10, 2020

The quizzes were a bit hard :) but an overall excellent course.

By Andrew M

I bought the book as well, very useful.

Thanks!

By Francisco B C

Apr 20, 2020

Assignment could be more challenging

By Prakash R

Oct 26, 2018

Good to learn systems engineering

By Juliana V