Back to Systems Thinking In Public Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Systems Thinking In Public Health by Johns Hopkins University

This course provides an introduction to systems thinking and systems models in public health. Problems in public health and health policy tend to be complex with many actors, institutions and risk factors involved. If an outcome depends on many interacting and adaptive parts and actors the outcome cannot be analyzed or predicted with traditional statistical methods. Systems thinking is a core skill in public health and helps health policymakers build programs and policies that are aware of and prepared for unintended consequences. An important part of systems thinking is the practice to integrate multiple perspectives and synthesize them into a framework or model that can describe and predict the various ways in which a system might react to policy change. Systems thinking and systems models devise strategies to account for real world complexities. This work was coordinated by the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, the World Health Organization, with the aid of a grant from the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada. Additional support was provided by the Department for International Development (DFID) through a grant (PO5467) to Future Health Systems research consortium. © World Health Organization 2014 All rights reserved. The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the World Health Organization concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Dotted and dashed lines on maps represent approximate border lines for which there may not yet be full agreement. The mention of specific companies or of certain manufacturers’ products does not imply that they are endorsed or recommended by the World Health Organization in preference to others of a similar nature that are not mentioned. Errors and omissions excepted, the names of proprietary products are distinguished by initial capital letters. All reasonable precautions have been taken by the World Health Organization to verify the information contained in this publication. However, the published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. The responsibility for the interpretation and use of the material lies with the reader. In no event shall the World Health Organization be liable for damages arising from its use. Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health has a non-exclusive license to use and reproduce the material....

NM
Jun 7, 2019

This is an excellent-excellent course and provides a good primer even to somebody (like me) who has only a very limited exposure to public health and none to the concepts of systems thinking.

VS
Mar 11, 2018

The course is one of the best that I've attended on Coursera. This will be highly useful in my current course "Healthcare Operations Management" that I am offering for MBA students in India.

26 - 50 of 169 Reviews for Systems Thinking In Public Health

By Deepa. P

Jul 21, 2017

excellent".I gained a lot for my PhD.

By Ivan I

Mar 3, 2020

Excelente!!! con todas las letras!!

By 米睿

Jun 15, 2018

Fantastic Course with high quality

By Khulud A

Great course, I learned a lot

By Leila M M

Mar 7, 2016

Excellent course. Thank you!

By Jorge G

May 1, 2018

GREAT

By Linda A

Feb 4, 2019

I really enjoyed the course, its structure and the way of explaining the concepts. I particularly liked the lectures held by Prof. Ligia Paina: she explained Vensim step by step and I appreciated it. I would have gone a little bit more in detail with stock and flows diagrams, I would have expected in general more examples and practical exercises. Overall, great course to start building a system thinking mindset. Thank you all.

By Shivanand S

May 1, 2020

I liked the content of the course and simplistic way of explanation. My suggestion to improve would be to give some exercises to create cause and loop diagram and stock and flow diagram, so that, public health experts become familiar with these concepts in a better way.

By KM

Aug 21, 2018

The quiz structures and answers could be reviewed in content. The fourth quiz had strange answer selection in the multi-select sections (e.g., suggest rethinking the idea elements of the Q 5,6, 7 answers then build out the answer selections in enhanced clarity).

By Niamh S

Nov 12, 2020

Excellent course on how to better understand Public Health problems using systems thinking. The lectures were short and to the point, but the option to pause and revisit was really helpful. The pitch perfectly suited my level of understanding. The Causal Loop Diagram tutorials and the simulation of a participatory model building session were particularly useful for me, as these research methods will be incorporated into my PhD project. The stock and flow stuff was probably more complicated than I required, but it is useful to have a basic understanding of the modelling and systems dynamics potential. I loved that the final series brought in a 'real world' element and looked at the role academics play in the wider trivariate which is essential in the development of sustainable policy. The quiz format really worked for me, as it made sure I was unable to gloss over parts that I perhaps didn't understand. Overall, I'm amazed that I was able to do this course for free! And am very grateful to all those who contributed as the content will really help shape my PhD methodology. Thanks!

By Peninah T

Jan 29, 2021

An excellent introductory course for intuitive system thinkers in Public Health. The course covers the broad scope concisely; introducing the concept, the process, the tools to model and as well as model interpretation.

In those short 4 weeks, I have learnt the language to articulate, and acquired the tools apply to, my intuitive system thinking approach to public health. It lays the foundation for me to become a seasoned Systems Thinker. I am deeply indebted. Thank you.

By Nadine G

Mar 2, 2021

A great course to understand the basics of systems thinking and system dynamics. You will get an introduction to VENSIM and causal loop diagrams and a very short introduction to stock and flow models. For a total beginner like me, it was the right course. Can totally recommend it!

By Ellen v d S

Feb 3, 2021

I'm already working in a field where I have to apply systems thinking on a daily basis, but I'm pretty new to it, therefore I decided to follow the course.

This course is very interesting and covers all the basic principles. Can definitely recommend it for policy makers.

By Joseph W

May 28, 2016

A very useful course that gives one the opportunity to learn a practical and structured approach to analyzing problems within the health sector and coming up with appropriate solutions that involve the participation of all the relevant stakeholders.

By Naveen T

Jul 23, 2021

Excellent content! Good explanation of software tools used and how these tools are embedded in the larger picture. Just one thing: Prof. Bishai mentions the provision of a spreadsheet to go along with the Agent-based modeling; could not find it.

By Juan S C

Jan 18, 2017

This is a very good introductory course into systems thinking. It provides the basics to understand this approach, with a right balance between being easy and deepening in the subject enough to be interesting.

By Zhao L

Jun 10, 2019

Thank you for this course! I have learnt about useful tools and ways of thinking in systematic way. It is very helpful for my work which requires exactly the skills. I'm happy to have taken this course!

By Nachiket M

Jun 8, 2019

By Venkataramanaiah s

Mar 12, 2018

By César D M

Feb 5, 2017

It was a great course tat not only teaches you the theory behind systems thinking but it also teaches you how to use some tools (software) to use systems thinking approach to solve problems.

By Jonathan O A

Excellent perspectives and helpful references; and because its an introductory course it opens up possibilities to utilize the knowledge in different public health related problems.