Back to Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There by University of Michigan

COURSE DESCRIPTION This course provides an introduction to the most powerful engineering principles you will ever learn - Thermodynamics: the science of transferring energy from one place or form to another place or form. We will introduce the tools you need to analyze energy systems from solar panels, to engines, to insulated coffee mugs. More specifically, we will cover the topics of mass and energy conservation principles; first law analysis of control mass and control volume systems; properties and behavior of pure substances; and applications to thermodynamic systems operating at steady state conditions. COURSE FORMAT The class consists of lecture videos, which average 8 to 12 minutes in length. The videos include integrated In-Video Quiz questions. There are also quizzes at the end of each section, which include problems to practice your analytical skills that are not part of video lectures. There are no exams. GRADING POLICY Each question is worth 1 point. A correct answer is worth +1 point. An incorrect answer is worth 0 points. There is no partial credit. You can attempt each quiz up to three times every 8 hours, with an unlimited number of total attempts. The number of questions that need to be answered correctly to pass are displayed at the beginning of each quiz. Following the Mastery Learning model, students must pass all 8 practice quizzes with a score of 80% or higher in order to complete the course. ESTIMATED WORKLOAD If you follow the suggested deadlines, lectures and quizzes will each take approximately ~3 hours per week each, for a total of ~6 hours per week. TARGET AUDIENCE Basic undergraduate engineering or science student. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - What are the prerequisites for taking this course? An introductory background (high school or first year college level) in chemistry, physics, and calculus will help you be successful in this class. -What will this class prepare me for in the academic world? Thermodynamics is a prerequisite for many follow-on courses, like heat transfer, internal combustion engines, propulsion, and gas dynamics, to name a few. -What will this class prepare me for in the real world? Energy is one of the top challenges we face as a global society. Energy demands are deeply tied to the other major challenges of clean water, health, food resources, and poverty. Understanding how energy systems work is key to understanding how to meet all these needs around the world. Because energy demands are only increasing, this course also provides the foundation for many rewarding professional careers....

MJ

Jul 24, 2019

Great course. But I was also hoping to get an in-depth analytical understanding of the second law of thermodynamics and the zeroth law as well. But I really enjoyed it and definitely learned a lot.

TO

Apr 11, 2018

Great practical information to thermodynamical processes and machines with many calculated examples. A bit light on the fundamental definitions, like entropy, but very good for hands-on work.

26 - 50 of 183 Reviews for Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There

By Rahul J

Feb 08, 2019

Just awesome , I am writing this just after first week of course and i have learnt a lot like a lot without a doubt these are the best courses to learn.I can say that i have learnt more than what i have learnt in 4 years of engineering.

By Varun T

Jun 24, 2018

I have completed only four week now, but i can be pretty sure that rest will be good too. Excellent presentation and good teaching material. I have learned a lot and will continue to study this subject to gain more and more information.

By Shishir S P

Apr 18, 2017

I would really like to appreciate coursera and Prof. Margaret Wooldridge and lastly University of Mighigan for providing an opportunity to underwent through this which has cleared all the basis and conceptual theory of the subject

By Matthias R W

Jun 29, 2017

A brief but great introduction to Thermodynamics!

Prof. Wooldridge explains the issue in a very understandable way, with appropriate pace and good examples. I hope she will teach some more courses on Coursera in the near future.

By Meetkumar J P

Mar 28, 2017

I am very thankful of University of Michigan and Coursera. Thank you sir for giving me a chance to study in your institute.I have no words to say about your institute. Just say thank you.

once again thank you..so much..

By Mayanknath J

Jul 24, 2019

By Thomas O

Apr 11, 2018

By Benjamin G

Aug 29, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. The lecture contents are clear with a lot of examples. It gives an overview and different possibilites from the first and second principles of thermodynamics.

By Sriram B H

Aug 15, 2017

Great intro course to thermodynamics. A follow up course with more advanced topics (2nd law, exergy etc.) would definitely be useful. A course at the graduate level would be very welcome!

By Vaibhav D A

Jul 22, 2019

One of the Best Teachers ever I studied under!! I sincerely wish that we can get more courses by the same teacher on Coursera. I would be more than happy to pursue those courses.

By MUJUMALE A

Apr 04, 2020

Best teacher i have had till now,clear explanation of concepts and understanding and examples based on real life problems and analysis.Best course the start thermodynamics with

By Joaquim L

Jul 06, 2017

The course was a great refresher for my upcoming FE exam. I have been out of school for almost 10 years so I really needed this course. Overall the teacher was easy to under

By Rishabh s

Mar 30, 2020

By end of this course i've learnt more about the energy transfer in different medium.This course helped me to clear my concept about what is the role of energy in jet engine.

By Byungkeun S

Jan 18, 2017

I wanted to learn cycle part in Thermodynamics. The professor gave me a new insight in terms of renewable energy, consumption of energy, etc.

Thanks. I appreciate your class.

By Gustavo G P

Sep 02, 2018

Excellent course for anyone needing an introduction to the main concepts in thermodynamics. Crystal clear explanations from an excellent professor. Highly recommend!

By Saqib

Mar 29, 2017

Fantastic course. Want to revise and refine your basic thermodynamics concepts specially related to Mechanical engineering? Then go for it, This course is for you.

By Brandon K W

Nov 05, 2019

Great professor who has an obvious love for the course material. I'd highly recommend this course for those looking for a solid foundation in thermodynamics.

By Sanjai M

Apr 10, 2019

This course was very useful, The explanations were clear and the assessments helped us check our knowledge. This helped me very much in my academics as well.

By 승학 이

Aug 13, 2017

Good contents, good professor and good divided chapters. This 3G system let me study hard enthusiastically. Thx to provide great lecture Univ.Michigan!

By Vijay S

Oct 27, 2016

A very useful course for those who wants to learn about Thermodynamics. The Professor taught every topics in detail. I learnt a lot from this course.

By SRI B T M

Feb 07, 2020

Good and valuable course that all should know basically and this helps us to improve our knowledge and make us to do research i the field of thermal.

By SANCHITA T

Feb 14, 2019

Dear Team, Thanks for the online training course.

This course is very useful for my current role.

Thermodynamics is a very Interesting topic for me.

By Paras K

May 25, 2019

Particularly liked the Problem solving assignments, the lab tour at the end, and of course the excellent teaching skills of Professor Wooldridge.

By Emmitt D H

Jul 26, 2019

Extremely educational as well as flexible with its demands for time. I highly recommend this complicated course to be taken through this vessel.

By Sourabh Y

May 17, 2019

Awesome Course content and delivery. Really a good way to start with basics of thermodynamics and energy. Thanks for the Financial aid Coursera!