Back to Introduction to User Experience Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to User Experience Design by Georgia Institute of Technology

The focus of this course is to introduce the learner to User Experience (UX) Design User Experience design is design that is user centered. The goal is to design artifacts that allow the users to meet their needs in the most effective efficient and satisfying manner. The course introduces the novice to a cycle of discovery and evaluation and a set of techniques that meet the user's needs. This course is geared toward the novice. It is for learners that have heard about "user experience" or "user interface" design but don't really know much about these disciplines. The course mantra is that “Design is a systematic and data driven process.” Design is systematic because it is based on a set of techniques and also on a cycle of discovery. In this course the learner is introduced to the four step user interface design cycle. Along the way learners are exposed to a set of techniques to gather information about a) what the user needs b)how to design and model interfaces based on these and then how to evaluate the design to ascertain that the user's goals are met. These techniques are tools that are used in a standardized manner and give us the data we use in our design. This means that anyone (regardless of their current training) that is willing to learn these techniques and follow the proposed cycle can be a UX designer!...

AO

Oct 23, 2017

The best introduction classes, gives an overall idea about UI/UX. Grateful for the efforts taken by the Georgia Tech and Coursera. Looking forward to see more courses related to my career. Thank you.

MC

Sep 26, 2016

This is an insightful introductory course to User Experience Design. While it is just an introduction, the lessons and the examples provided were comprehensive, leaving you with a thirst for more.

276 - 300 of 439 Reviews for Introduction to User Experience Design

By Ummul F

Jan 10, 2020

Good

By Anastasiya T

Jun 06, 2019

Good

By yashar k s

Oct 04, 2016

Jul 06, 2017

sa

By Jami O

Jul 26, 2016

I would LOVE to give this course 5 stars because I absolutely loved it. However, one small thing that drove me nuts makes me give it 4 star rating. I am a big type A personality and I wanted a perfect 100% grade. For this reason I take very, very detailed notes and studied very hard. When I was taking the tests, all of the answers came to me and I knew they were right without question. Then I would get marked wrong some answers at the end. For example, there were several questions relating to the 4 phases of the design cycle. These should very easy answers as the question was usually "What follows after the 'alternative design phase" which is an easy answer, "prototyping". Regardless it would be marked wrong, and it was absolutely impossible to get 100% and I encountered this issue on about 3 questions. I would encourage you to make sure your answers are properly programmed into the response bank

By Barbara R

Oct 08, 2017

It's a very basic course but as a total beginner I'm glad I took it. Soon I'm starting stationary post-graduate UX studies and I think it was a good introduction, I definitely feel like learning more of the topic. What I missed were more examples or case studies, but maybe this was the point of the whole course to be short and basic... And I think you can easily complete the course in 2 or 3 weeks. There were some interesting articles linked in the materials however many of them were repeating the same or similar content so to me the selection of these materials looked rather random...

By Troy L

Aug 20, 2019

A good introduction to those who only have surface-level knowledge of UX Design. This course will quickly give you a working understanding of the basic processes designers follow when developing or improving an interface design. If you are preparing for a bootcamp, or want to discover what you'll be delving into, this is a great first step. My only improvement would be editing mistakes from the lecture videos and allowing students to see the correct answers for test responses that I got wrong.

By Michelle S

Feb 10, 2018

This was a mini introduction to user experience design and was shorter than I expected. I had hoped it would have been more in depth. If you want to get an idea of what UXD is about, this is a great general overview. I likely won't purchase the certificate for this course as I felt that it could have delivered more hands-on practice than it did. The course did give some excellent reference material in the form of website links.

By Nurvianto B

Jan 06, 2020

Great introductory course that touches on how to do design requirement research. Much of the materials covered were repeated from my psychology course on research design. However, there are some important design and UX jargons detailed in this course that helped me to understand better about the research cycle in terms of UX design. Overall a simple but comprehensive short course which is highly recommended.

By Heather H

Nov 10, 2017

Very short and general overview of UX design. Pretty concise with good resources. This course would be much better if there were more serious assignments given. I also really wish there was a bit more direction given for someone who wants to get more serious about this (i.e. if I want a career in this, what should I do?) I also kind of wish there was mention on the risk-management side to usability.

By Deepika N

Aug 06, 2017

A good start for learners who are new to software industry but are computer-literate. Personally, being in IT industry for more than 5 years, I expected to get some more information on how the goals could be achieved, which softwares could be used and how, etc.. a little macro / high-level course for me, but I will definitely look into taking in-depth course, that the instructor mentioned.

Good Luck !!!

By Suchetan K

Apr 13, 2017

It's a very basic & foundational course. But very good for someone who's never learnt or done anything in UX before. The course material is simple, breezy and satisfying. I came away having learnt few new things. And the professor kept insisting that this is only foundational program and more advanced material should be pursued elsewhere. I recommend this course to all beginners of UX.

By Marcus K

Apr 23, 2018

Thanks a lot for the great introduction to UX design. Especially the parts "basics" (week 1) and "requirements engineering" (week 2) are well done. Later parts (week 3-5) are a bit more superficial and included some errors in the testing scripts.

I would recommend the course to everybody, who wants to get a first intro into the topic of UX design within a time-frame of approx 4 hours.

By Melanie R

Oct 03, 2017

I liked the theory of this class and felt the teacher to really cater to the lowest common denominator, which is me. I am a complete beginner and really felt this class was helpful to me. There could have been a little more engagement -- I like the quizzes during the videos, which really make sure the participants are paying attention.

By Parker W

Aug 11, 2017

Very basic course that you could finish within a day. Provides a lot of useful links that help you expand your knowledge past the course, but the course itself doesn't really teach you too much. I recommend taking it since it's free knowledge and doesn't take long, but you can easily skip it and move on to something else more advanced.

By Viacheslav P

Aug 31, 2019

The course is a good point to start, but i found some questions tricky for foreigners - some of questions have a difference in a single word or words are placed in another order and it is hard to tell the difference.

It would be great if after course completion you provide links to other coursera courses of the same field.

By Adrián N O

Dec 24, 2018

Introduction to User Experience Design was a very good first step to start into this interesting field of design. I really enjoyed to learn the basis about UX design from this course and the most value thing that i can mention is that this course had encourage me to keep learning more, so I truly recommend it.

By Andrea B

Jul 10, 2019

La profesora explica muy bien y conoce del tema pero la información no está actualizada, los recursos son bastante antiguos, tipo 2011-2014, y hay algunas cosas que ya no se hacen porque se ha demostrado que no funciona. Pero bueno igual es un buen comienzo si quieres entender las nociones básicas de UX

By Erin Y

May 29, 2017

It's a very concise and easy-to-understand online course for those who want to know what is User Experience Design. The quiz after each session helped a lot to freshen up what I learned. If the quiz report can show the result of why the answer is right or wrong will be much better.

By 韩涵

Jan 08, 2017

A very very basic but complete introduction for anyone who just wondering what UX is, or who want to structural his/her own practice in a logical and systematic manner.

It also shows ideas if you want to understand deeper.

Took me one day to go through the whole course. FYI.

By Emmanuel D

Dec 05, 2017

This is a very basic introduction, but it gives interesting information. It presents the main elements to collect user needs and to start a design. By the way, it is strongly focused on the requirements. There are not a lot of details about the design of user experience.

By Saverio C

May 13, 2019

A general overview of UX fundamentals. Many concepts are too ground level for a designer with an education background (even different than plain UX), yet brush them up is a great idea before starting a new learning path. Highly understandable and strongly recommended.

By Reza

Nov 13, 2019

It was a good course to take when you were really a beginner in the field as it taught you the basics of UX design. However, some concepts were quite hard to grasp. But overall, this course was helpful for people who wanted to start learning about the field of UX.