Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

RB

Sep 15, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

26 - 50 of 1,910 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By John B

Apr 29, 2020

I was pretty excited to start this "5 week" course but quickly realized it's about a 5 hour course. I can make any course a year long course if I wanted by only doing 1 minute of work a day which is basically the principle at work here to make this course seem more robust. For example "Week 3" is 35 mins of video. I'm giving this a one star review because the content is outdated (from 2013) and better, more updated content can be found on YouTube. This course is effectively content marketing for the Profs books and for the school. There are no graded assignments or workbook until the end when a 5 paragraph assignment is peer reviewed. Note that your peers in this course most likely won't even review your work and just give you a passing grade. Conversely, of the work I reviewed 3/4 submissions were either blank documents or some random article copied from another course/website on Design Thinking. This course is a certificate farm and I'm pretty unhappy to have paid $60 USD for the 'credential'. First and likely last course I take on Coursera. Woof.

By Scott C

Mar 25, 2020

It's a lot of screen time watching Instructors and speakers talk. Very high level and overarching themes, Ideas, concepts of Design Thinking. I got to the end not understanding what to do or how to take the test. I had no idea how to utilize the forum with others taking the course. I should have just read a book.

By Marius L

Aug 12, 2016

This course is basically about watching uninspiring videos. It needs a lot of design thinking itself.

I have bought the book however. It is really useful.

By SUMEET P

Aug 16, 2020

Excellent program to learn lots of tools towards Design Thinking !! Thanks a lot! Very interactive and the last activity of completing the assignment was very thought provoking !! thanks to all pears!

By Leonardo A E M

Feb 02, 2019

well!

By Marissa

Apr 23, 2020

I liked the very basic principles laid out in this course, but it really didn't seem to follow much of a structure or easy to digest pattern. Each lesson kind of hapharzadly introduced a lot of tools and ideas in slide shows, but sometimes they weren't presented until the example video was shown, and definitely not all of them were in the slides available, so I couldn't really go back and review unless I wanted to watch all videos again to find the exact spot something was mentioned. I didn't really know something was a key take-away until it just randomly was brought up again later in another session. And I still don't feel fully sure the exact ways to move forward. Even though it was an intro course, there should still be some direction.

By Marshall S

Aug 26, 2019

this is the 4th class i've taken that was issued through UVA Darden school and i really question anyone who's credentials come from this school. While the examples were fun to see, as a business consultant who has some exposure to design thinking, this class didnt touch on the process at all! I do not feel my knowledge and understanding is any better now than it was when i started.

By Xavi C

Nov 26, 2018

I'm very disappointed about this "course". It's not a course, it's a little briefing of Design Thinking.

No in mind learn something or work in it. Just some ideas.

Maybe they want to you enroll in master or buy their books. I don't know but good for know in start before you enroll.

Moreover, you cannot send you work if you don't pay. Certificate of participation is not posible.

By Gordon H B

Mar 31, 2020

If you have a little time during the pandemic between Zoom calls and disinfecting your door knobs, I'd love to recommend this Design Thinking certificate course by Jeanne Liedtka of UVA's Dardin School of Business. She has a very nice delivery and covers the concepts in interesting ways by utilizing guest speakers, as well as case studies and lectures. Even though I have been involved with Design Thinking for almost 10 years, I found her content well worth the time investment.

By Rashi B

Sep 15, 2020

By Thanit I

Feb 04, 2019

I have just finished the course. It is very informative and useful. Even after my completion, I am still coming back to look at the videos to revise what I have learned.

By Alexandra R

Sep 08, 2016

Great course!

By Paul M

Sep 23, 2019

I'd like to see a lot more content and sequential assignments rather than just one at the end. Getting peer reviews was difficult and I would also appreciate at least one tutor review to add greater credibility to my score.

By Shashank J

Apr 09, 2020

Looks more theoretical.

Overall image seems outdated in terms of video quality.

slides along with running text sync with audio can be more appreciated.

Overall good learning.

By Erick A R A d l S

Jan 08, 2018

In the videos you should apply the visualization tool to explain ideas further, they are purely verbal and can get to be boring. There should be an assignment for each concept to fully understand the design thinking tools.

It is too vague ; The lack of interaction and assignments don't help.

By James K

Dec 27, 2018

Lecturer is un-engaging, very little emotion shown and monotonous, just your run off the mill reading-off teleprompter with a poor background.

Slides look like they were created in one of the earlier version of powerpoint so not engaging

By Sean S

Nov 15, 2017

Could have been better. I learned some of the basics of Design Thinking. The best parts were the Case Studies that were presented. They were interesting and showed the benefit of using Design Thinking. The parts with the most opportunity for improvement were the final exam and cutting out some of the pontificating guests speakers from industry or other schools that really added nothing to the course.

The final exam was not clear to me on the expectations and is really not practical. It was unclear to me whether we were supposed to use a Design Thinking Tool on a problem we were facing, or to share where we used it in the past, or to reflect on how we could have used in the past? Using on a current problem isn't practical, would take too much time, and it would need to be dumbed down to the point no confidential details are being shared. If the assignment was to share where we used in the past, I wouldn't be taking the course as I would already have experience with Design Thinking Tools. I chose to reflect on how I could have used DT tools on a past problem for the final exam. Clarifying the approach in the final exam or changing it completely is recommended.

By Christopher S

Dec 12, 2019

Compared to other classes, it felt like this course never really got off the ground. Each week there was a series of videos- some of them kind of fluff- had senior speakers from top firms but some of the dialog was a bit rudderless and off the cuff or casual. If these speakers are trying to make a point it should be more concise and possibly, where applicable, linked o the course content from that week. It was clear that they wanted us to buy the book. I think the course should have been more hands on and had an activity / task to lose out the week.

By Tyler A

Sep 15, 2016

I can't say I really enjoyed this 5 week course. The flow itself was more like "food for thought" where a bunch of ideas are presented as sort of an intellectual gymnastics exercise with no point really. By week 5 you are just plain bored. The content wasn't concise enough. It could have easily been a 4 week course or even shorter had they not tried to belabor each topic. It all was too high level and never really got down enough to earth. I have done other courses on the same topic which were better put together.

By Yahya S

The course is lower than expectations for me for multiple reasons , I will share the positives and negatives:

positives: the course length is very reasonable ,the course concept is excellent and the instructor language is clear with under stable accent.

negatives: the link between stories and the course contents is weak , the course dose not explain the points clearly and the submission need some work before submitting it which was not mentioned at the beginning of the course.

By Dawn J

Pros: Real life examples of design thinking applied globally.

Cons: I signed up for the course expecting practical frameworks of how to apply design thinking but unfortunately did not receive that as a takeaway. The course materials also failed to define the term design thinking in a succinct way, which alone tells me that the rest of the course is going to be vague and barely sweeping the surface of real-life applications.

By Federico C

Aug 14, 2019

Good Step description, poor description of tools, no testing at all.

It should be more hands on, and may be more practical. Some videos were too long. No quizzes for following up and capstone was really poor.

Reading the book is way more useful than attending this course.

Week 4 learning launch class was the best one.

By Sami H

Jul 21, 2017

I needed good knowledge in deep of the different phases tools and workshops to be able to run them myself. This course is only an introduction + companies examples that sometimes are not bringing value to the course. A bit disappointed !