Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

CA

Jun 17, 2017

great course , i am grateful to Coursera and everyone at Darden who helped develop this course.\n\ni really enjoyed the course. best wishes to all . keep up the great work!!!! God bless all of you!!!

26 - 50 of 1,297 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Leonardo A E M

Feb 02, 2019

well!

By Scott C

Mar 25, 2020

It's a lot of screen time watching Instructors and speakers talk. Very high level and overarching themes, Ideas, concepts of Design Thinking. I got to the end not understanding what to do or how to take the test. I had no idea how to utilize the forum with others taking the course. I should have just read a book.

By Gordon H B

Mar 31, 2020

If you have a little time during the pandemic between Zoom calls and disinfecting your door knobs, I'd love to recommend this Design Thinking certificate course by Jeanne Liedtka of UVA's Dardin School of Business. She has a very nice delivery and covers the concepts in interesting ways by utilizing guest speakers, as well as case studies and lectures. Even though I have been involved with Design Thinking for almost 10 years, I found her content well worth the time investment.

By Thanit I

Feb 04, 2019

I have just finished the course. It is very informative and useful. Even after my completion, I am still coming back to look at the videos to revise what I have learned.

By Alexandra R

Dec 19, 2018

Excelente aprendizaje!

By Paul M

Sep 23, 2019

I'd like to see a lot more content and sequential assignments rather than just one at the end. Getting peer reviews was difficult and I would also appreciate at least one tutor review to add greater credibility to my score.

By Shashank J

Apr 09, 2020

Looks more theoretical.

Overall image seems outdated in terms of video quality.

slides along with running text sync with audio can be more appreciated.

Overall good learning.

By James K

Dec 27, 2018

Lecturer is un-engaging, very little emotion shown and monotonous, just your run off the mill reading-off teleprompter with a poor background.

Slides look like they were created in one of the earlier version of powerpoint so not engaging

By Mahdi J

Sep 30, 2019

I think the course material needs a more innovative approach. it was kinda boring to just listen to a solo speaker talks about innovation. this course definitely can use some of the material covered here to improve the flow of lectures.

By atefehhez@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2020

Content of the course is so basic comparing to the final work that is expected from the student.

By John B

Apr 29, 2020

I was pretty excited to start this "5 week" course but quickly realized it's about a 5 hour course. I can make any course a year long course if I wanted by only doing 1 minute of work a day which is basically the principle at work here to make this course seem more robust. For example "Week 3" is 35 mins of video. I'm giving this a one star review because the content is outdated (from 2013) and better, more updated content can be found on YouTube. This course is effectively content marketing for the Profs books and for the school. There are no graded assignments or workbook until the end when a 5 paragraph assignment is peer reviewed. Note that your peers in this course most likely won't even review your work and just give you a passing grade. Conversely, of the work I reviewed 3/4 submissions were either blank documents or some random article copied from another course/website on Design Thinking. This course is a certificate farm and I'm pretty unhappy to have paid $60 USD for the 'credential'. First and likely last course I take on Coursera. Woof.

By Marshall S

Aug 26, 2019

this is the 4th class i've taken that was issued through UVA Darden school and i really question anyone who's credentials come from this school. While the examples were fun to see, as a business consultant who has some exposure to design thinking, this class didnt touch on the process at all! I do not feel my knowledge and understanding is any better now than it was when i started.

By Xavi C

Nov 26, 2018

I'm very disappointed about this "course". It's not a course, it's a little briefing of Design Thinking.

No in mind learn something or work in it. Just some ideas.

Maybe they want to you enroll in master or buy their books. I don't know but good for know in start before you enroll.

Moreover, you cannot send you work if you don't pay. Certificate of participation is not posible.

By Marius L

Aug 12, 2016

This course is basically about watching uninspiring videos. It needs a lot of design thinking itself.

I have bought the book however. It is really useful.

By Akshet P

Apr 16, 2020

Very bad course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Aayush S

Feb 27, 2020

Dry and Boring. Can be skipped.

By taekyu i

Dec 19, 2019

not good

By Louis S D

Nov 11, 2017

This is a wonderful course and I applaud Prof Liedtka on her teaching methodology combining structure with creativity. Each of the tools listed are really useful in expressing the design thought process in action and every one of the experts have lent their unique perspectives, which have been really helpful in outlining the idea that Design Thinking tries to convey. My only gripe if any would be the assignment rubric, which shackles the author within a very walled framework and defeats the purpose of thinking out of the box. While it offers a precious guideline for the peer to evaluate, it more or less mandates the author to stick within this and it applies some sort of unwritten pressure on the peer to rate only on those defined yardsticks, which again effectively brings down the scope for the writer of the reflection to bring in fresh approaches into their piece. Design Thinking in spirit has to involve a level of creative thinking within a structured framework, but if the structure takes precedence, then in all probability creativity would take an uncomplimentary second position. Please take this for what it is, but be sure that the course and the material have been totally outstanding, and I commend the Darden team for putting this out on Coursera.

By Anirban S

We made a practice to have a design thinking session for most of our new projects and started engaging our work partners and other stakeholders. Our business partners are also keen on participating in these design thinking sessions. We learn from each other’s and came up with some innovative solutions

We have reduced the risk of heavy investment by using test and learn and prototype. We are open to out of box ideas and getting support from business partners and management

We have now started thinking more like an end customer or end users which defiantly enhances the quality of our solution and brings innovations. With a test and learn and developing prototypes we have reduced the risk of huge investment.

Customer co-creation and celebrating our success through story-telling is in best used and ensuring substance of the approach and product. Our story is simple but effective, It’s easy to replicate.

Team is motivated, Work partners are happy and being part of the management team, I am enjoying the journey.

Thank you.

By Nilabh U

Sep 08, 2018

There are many approaches to problem solving and as its a vague and non conventional process often, it leads to directionless hard work and in turn deviates from the expected results. That is where Design Thinking comes in, and this course has helped me learn the structure of problem solving which can be applied universally regardless of what the problems are. I learnt that the approach to innovation is as important than the actual ideas itself and I am amazed at how much I have changed after completing this course. Results are of course rewarding but I am enjoying the process just as much.

I am thankful to Prof. Jeanne Liedtka and others for building this course and I hope I'll keep learning more and more in time to come.

By Pinaki B

Aug 01, 2019

This empowers the though process end to end. This provided the style to approach any new or existing problem to think through by the means of its core pain point. Then the transition towards solution quadrant in correspondence to each pain point before sketching the High Level picture of any Design topic. This makes the design mind map discrete per step, visibility of approach becomes distinct. Visualization approach has been followed to make the traversal of whole path end to end with less chances of disputes at later point of time; and the same provides a wider spectrum to think deeper with more features and facilities to get adopted. Thank you so much for constructing this course so nicely!

By Tanguy D L

May 10, 2019

This course should be mandatory in the unlearning process of 20st century management habits that no longer fit to the current societal challenges . It took me over 1,5 year to 'process' the course; I dived in the videos, listened to them in the car and during holidays back and forth, got lost, rescheduled, gave up, and finally came back in a focused way, what a journey, I am very proud of. The insights have changed my way of viewing the world challenges, have made me discover new patters, and provided my both a peace of mind between left and right brain thinking (you have to trust and be 'in the moment') as well as reconnecting to this random childhood creativity.

By Rashmi L

Jul 12, 2018

Design thinking for Innovation tool is excellent and it has absoultely gained with me the all different aspects of design thinking, Course is very well presented, explained with fanstastic examples.Those who really wish to have a deep knowledge/want to improve thier design thinking skills should opt for this course. The lectures and the materials used adds a valuable input to our knowledge base.Thanks to Jeanne Liedtka,all instructors and co-ordinator for thier efforts to present this topic and for sharing thier experience.

By Troy E

Dec 16, 2019

This was my first-ever course on design thinking. A great introduction. I didn't realise how much design thinking I was sort of doing in my day-to-day job. Taking this course and applying the tools and skills to one my current projects, I was able to critically reflect & evaluate with a new set of tools and vocabulary that gave me more specific & focused feedback I would not have gotten otherwise. This means, I am more informed moving forward on the next project. I'm going to look into more courses like this.

By Maheshkumar M

May 02, 2020

The Design Thinking for Innovation course has helped me in implementing many tools which are useful in our day to day activities and has given me insights to the principles of Design Thinking. These tools have helped me in executing my office meetings to discuss and gather information on overcoming problem's through innovation.

Thanks a lot for the Instructors for making the subject crystal clear and simple to understand. Thanks Coursera for providing world wide programs within reach of everyone.