Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK

Jun 25, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

NK

Dec 24, 2018

This course covers all the necessary and much required fundamentals about the product management. The course structure is very well balanced and covers all the aspects of product management. Thanks

1 - 25 of 383 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Aditya D

Mar 31, 2019

I felt like I went from only a vague understanding of what it means to be a product manager to a much more focussed view of what this role entails, common best practices, experiences from other product managers, etc. This course was great for helping me decide if I wanted to pursue Product Management as the next stage in my career seriously or not, and I am glad to say that I am hooked and when I become a successful product manager this course would have been instrumental in retrospect.

By Devesh V

Jul 19, 2017

Too much subjective information. Little info about tools, models and techniques. Overall ok

By Shiv A

May 14, 2019

I've been a Product Manager for a little over a year now, and have been working in the digital sector for over two. This is a really great course, consolidated much of my existing Product Management knowledge and built on other areas where I was lacking. I have taken notes to use as my 'cheat sheets' in my day to day Product Management to ensure I don't forget to implement things from it. Recommend!

By Claudia V

Mar 05, 2019

Overall it was a great course, even as an experienced technologist I liked reviewing some of these topics or hearing different takes on them. It's very hard to give due diligence to data science and analytics topics in 5 minute videos. I found the first part of week 4 hard to get through, it was just not as engaging as week 1 and week 2.

By Varun D

Dec 28, 2018

The first module was great, from there on a lot of the meat of the course is similar to Agile, but just packaged differently. They are a few noisy question in the MCQ too. It would be better value for money at a lower price point

By Saklen I D

Sep 02, 2019

it was mentioned that the course is for free but later after completion they are asking for money for certificate

By Sridhar R

May 20, 2019

I have been a product professional for more than 5 yearns now. Even at my experience level, I could gain a lot of insights and practical frameworks which I could use at my everyday work.

By Ogonna M

May 16, 2019

Great theoretical concepts. However i would have loved a more practical session with compulsory assignments

By Nir A

Mar 14, 2019

I wish there was an exercise and not just quizzes.

By ABHINIT P

Apr 10, 2018

The course was very practical in its approach with a lot of good sessions with industry practitioners. Also, I learnt a lot of industry & function-specific lingo, tools and frameworks that will help with a structures approach to product management. Alex as a faculty comes across as very friendly and humorous. However, I felt he could have made his lectures a little more structured rather than impromptu. All in all, the course serves as a great primer to product management and one needs to apply the concepts learnt in practice to gain fully from the course.

By Giuseppe B

Aug 15, 2019

I would have been appreciate more practical examples. For instance was a good idea to start from the week 1 to the week 4 to show about to manage a product from scratch in all the steps

By jonathan, m d B

Jan 29, 2019

All the quizz questions are vague and the "right" answers are debatable.

By Vishesh A

Sep 27, 2019

The course is just amazing. Thanks Alex for a great course. I am now motivated to learn more about PM roles. If you are interested in this course you can go through the course review -

1. Course is addictive and contains a comprehensive introduction to core principles and exciting frameworks/methods used in Product Management.

2. Most interesting part is when the real Product Managers- Nir Eyal , David Chait, David Bland, Tamara Carleton, Ph.D., Eric Qi Dong ,Kiran Kadambi, Andrew Kritzer, Jim Rose , Greg Cohen and Nastia Root, talk about how they applied those core principles and frameworks in their use cases. Thanks everyone.

3. The major part of this course focusses on the importance of achieving customer desirability through agile methodologies.

4. Teaches some great frameworks such as Business Model Canvas, Hook Framework and many others. I really loved the idea of Hook Framework, Lean Startup and Corporate Innovation Pipeline.

5. Touches upon the importance of Design Thinking in developing great processes for identifying personas, problems, and alternatives.

By Jean A

Dec 05, 2019

Great introduction to the current world of Digital Product Management. Appreciated the examples, such as the chicken coop company, and the HR/Hiring application. Most of the speakers were great, although I would've appreciated if they shared more real life examples, instead of big picture theory (which tended to be redundant against the information already taught throughout the course). Professor Cowan has a great personality, which made it very easy to watch the lectures. Overall, I am very happy I took the course, for I feel that I have a better foundation on Digital Product Management, which will help me continue learning more about Product Management without feeling overwhelmed.

By Andy

Jul 26, 2018

This was a terrific introduction and explanation of recent concepts and methods which a product manager can use to be much more effective in his or her role. Alex Cowan did an outstanding job in presenting the information clearly and in keeping me engaged. For the most part, the guest speakers were very informative. I have not checked the repository of the content, so cannot speak to that (another comment may be forthcoming... ) I say this because I would like the opportunity to refer to the documentation from time to time, to refresh my memory, when needed. Really enjoyed it, and learning the material.

By Abdul M K

Aug 14, 2017

I want to truly thank Mr. Alex Cowan for carving out such a nice course for all the product managers and aspiring ones as well. The course content is very good and if any one has been in the industry and worked as a product manager then he / she can relate to it very well. The way Alex has explained the concepts and how we need to implement them is of immense importance for any product manager in their daily product management related work activities. I will recommend this course to all the aspiring product managers as well as those who are already practicing product management.

By Kanushka S J

May 19, 2019

This is an excellent course indeed in every aspects. I have learned the much needed Product Management fundamental and also current trends and best practices. Alex has a great teaching and practical experience in delivering what we want to learn and the course is well organized. I really like the talk sessions with industry partners. The resources section have lots of valuable things that we can learn. Thank you Alex, UOV - Darden School of Business and Coursera platform for giving me this valuable opportunity to learn.

By Vanessa R

Jan 23, 2020

This is an amazing course. It is exactly what I was looking for. I have told friends about the course who have also started it and felt as excited as I am. I had studied and executed various aspects of product management but did not know where my gaps were and, in some cases, the language commonly used. I feel much more confident about the approaches I have been taking and am clear on how to move forward in areas that I can learn more. I only wish I had found this course sooner. Thank you!

By Tony B

Jan 05, 2019

This is a brilliant high level introduction to Product Management with further reading and work available to deep dive into some of the concepts and tools introduced through the lectures.

Alex is a super engaging, clear and personable lecturer with a great list of guest speakers who relate the course content to real life scenarios and experience.

I truly believe that this course helped me get my first junior product role during a career transition from project management into product management.

By Ashay T

Jan 25, 2018

The course is structured very well - it walks you through different aspects in the life of a product manager, different people they interact with, common mistakes worth avoiding and provides guidance around the recommended ways to interact with different stakeholders to get things done in a mutually beneficial way. Examples provided put theory into a practical context and help you ingrain them better. A recommended course for anyone looking to work with / as a PM in a more cohesive manner!

By Dan D

Nov 10, 2017

Great course, great content! Highly recommended for any new PM or any experienced PM wanting to flesh out their skill set. One key detail for me was what inputs you should give to each of the business teams and what outputs you should expect from them. This is important given how ambiguous the Product role can be and that you usually end up spending time filling gaps yourself to ensure success, rather than being clear what the business teams should be doing for you

By Cole S

Sep 24, 2018

Great course, very educational and full of helpful information. The only thing that would benefit me would be some sort of step by step example of running a project from beginning to end. There are plenty of examples in the course on how to perform specific methodologies, but by the end I was really hoping for a big picture example of one project going through the whole process and using each tool along the way. Aside from that, an amazing course!

By Gustavo A d C

Aug 22, 2019

The instructor of the course presents the content with a lot of knowledge and deep understanding on a easy to absorb manner.

The content is really dense and i had to keep coming back to lectures to get a better understanding so maybe it could go a little deeper on a few of those if the course was longer.

Overall I am really satisfied with the content and teaching methods and I believe the course has contributed a lot to me.

By Annapurna G

Jan 03, 2020

Completed this excellent Coursera certification course on Digital Product Management. The course helped me to learn the role of Product Manager in the new Agile/Data Science driven world and all the methodologies and tools that we can use to create/enhance, new/existing products. The course was example and scenario driven, with interviews from successful Product Managers from various industries. Definitely recommend it.

By vishweshwaran r

Apr 17, 2019

Thanks for the great program, structuring and pace Alex. Lot of the digital product management concepts have been new to me, and helped me understand in greater depth of why i do, what i do, intuitively.

This program will help me stay relevant in the current digital product management market and stay ahead of the curve by applying the concepts of digital product management.

Overall, i enjoyed this program very much.