Back to Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management by University of Virginia

Projects are all around us. Virtually every organization runs projects, either formally or informally. We are engaged in projects at home and at work. Across settings, planning principles and execution methodologies can offer ways in which projects can be run more effectively and efficiently. Project management provides organizations (and individuals) with the language and the frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks. This is an introductory course on the key concepts of planning and executing projects. We will identify factors that lead to project success, and learn how to plan, analyze, and manage projects. Learners will be exposed to state-of-the-art methodologies and to considering the challenges of various types of projects. As a Project Management Institute (PMI®) Registered Education Provider, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business has been approved by PMI to issue 12 professional development units (PDUs) for this course, which focuses on core competencies recognized by PMI. (Provider #2122)...

FG

Apr 02, 2020

It helped e to understand the specifications of project management in such ways. It is a really helpful education. I will apply mt earnings to my job and I am sure I will see the difference of my look

JL

Sep 07, 2020

Very informative, concise, and easy to digest. Provides a solid foundation / framework for approaching projects, with great tutorials on using software for analysis. Great experience overall, thanks!

26 - 50 of 1,187 Reviews for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

By Feyyaz A G

Apr 02, 2020

By Josemaria L

Sep 07, 2020

By Boonyawadee E

Oct 24, 2020

This course gives a very very basic knowledge of project management. They did give me the keywords but the instructor didn't explain it well. I was always struggling to search and to find the definition, the example, the explanation of the terms by myself, thank god we have Google. So it's not that worth it. I mean, why I have to pay for the course if I still have to learn by myself this much. I'm okay to search for the complement resources by myself to fulfill the knowledge but in this course, the instructor actually failed to explain and to teach. It was so so so hard and frustrated learning this course, especially for me, who didn't have any experience or background knowledge in this field before.

Even I got a 100% score but to be honest, I don't think I understand it that much. (maybe the exam is too easy)

So disappointed. I don't recommend this course to anyone, I'm sorry.

By Samantha L S

Oct 20, 2020

I thought this course was very well executed. I appreciated the project examples and found the content to be very relatable and relevant. There were key topics and discussions centered around the key fundamentals of project management that I was able to directly apply to my role. I decided to take the course as a complementary learning experience to a Microsoft Project 2019 and Project Management course offered by my local college. I was not disappointed and found that this course particularly aiding me in achieving success in my local classes. Thank you for developing a robust, relevant and applicable course. This was extremely helpful!

By Paula G

Feb 15, 2020

A great entry level course into the world of Project Management. Was a great tool to offer extended awareness into this professional domain and serves as great building blocks if one should chose to specialize in this field. Thank you University of Virginia! I personally took this course to expand my knowledge on a business component to further compliment my degree in finance. And I'm quite glad I chose to do so because I really did enjoy learning something new and being able to grow both personally and professionally.

By Cesare F

Feb 17, 2017

This course is in my opinion an extremely good starting point to approach project management both for professional or simply curious

It is dense enough to give a complete picture of matter on one hand, and require a limited time effort on the oder.

The speacking is so clear, pronunciation lively, never boring or soporific.

Quizzes are affordable, however not banal

I recomend this course to evrybody, even for just general skill

I thank you so much Yael Grushka-Cockayne and hope to encounter her again in other course

By Reyhan D

Feb 14, 2016

Fantastic course, with great videos and materials. Yael is great at communicating the fundamentals via her videos, supplemental materials & case studies (really good examples of theory in practice).

Great for anyone wanting to refresh/solidify their fundamentals in Project Management (for those already with work experience), as well as beginners who are interested in getting a solid foundation. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in understanding the Fundamentals of Project Management.

By Akshay D

This course has been a great learning experience for me. I have been able to understand Project Management concepts thoroughly. Many concepts were new to me since before taking this course my knowledge was limited to Agile which is just one aspect of project management. I would highly recommend this class to someone who is developing a career path in project management. Thank you Prof. Yael Grushka-Cockayne for explaining the concepts in a most simplistic format with real life examples.

By Prashanth M

Dec 15, 2018

The scope of the course was very clear and Yael Grushka-Cockayne is sure of what is required for execution of a project from concept to project. It's been a great course and learnt much about Project management tools as well. I'm working in a Product Development company and I shall recommend this for managers who wanted to gain knowledge about product planning, risk management and project execution. A great thanks to Professor Yael Grushka-Cockayne for making this course.

By Pruthvi N

Aug 09, 2020

The course is well structured, simplified and is very much to the points. The topics are clearly explained and one can gain lot of insights on project planning. The earned value analysis is very well explained. The tutorials shared on microsoft professional usage for project management is very useful. The quiz questions summarizes the complete learning, its nice way of revisiting the learning. Its agreat course to gain a lot of for Project planning and manamgent

By Nkembeteck H N

Aug 25, 2019

I have been involved in planning and managing community projects traditionally with my own ingenuity. The course set the pace for my professionalization. I discovered why I made some catastrophic mistakes. I also discover names to some of the things I use to do but could not scripted. I master the Language of project planning and Management. I am really empowered by the this course. The Course instructor is very experience and teaches very well.

Thanks you all

By soha

Jul 07, 2020

It was a more than sufficient course with handsome information about Project Planning and management especially for beginners in the field. the tests were really exciting to go thorough and providing the slides to save for future revision was a generous step from Virginia University. Can not say much about Mrs. Yael, she is tremendous and knows how to deliver the information in fast and best way. I will miss her. many thanks to her and to Virginia Univeris

By Muhammad S M

Nov 13, 2015

A great teacher inspires. And this is what I see here. I have fallen in love with this subject. The expression, way of speech of the Professor are amazing. Lectures proceed followed by an example that clarifies the concept very clearly. It's so interestingly taught that one just loves each and every lecture. Thank you so much Prof. Yael Grushka-Cockayne, University of Virginia and Coursera. I hope to see more and more courses from this Professor :)

By Eva R

Apr 22, 2017

Incredibly helpful introduction to project management. This course has given me a good number of easy to apply and useful tools, strategies and pin pointers of what to look out for throughout a projects life.

I feel it has really helped organize my thoughts when thinking of a project and understanding how to best work through it. Also I feel I now have the basic tools, knowledge and confidence to embark on a project managing adventure myself.

By Kendra

Oct 06, 2020

Professor Yael Grushka-Cockayne did an excellent job of presenting the information in a clear and engaging way. The progression of the course work she laid out was very helpful, especially for those of us new to course work in PM methodologies. Very few people can be dynamic enough speaking alone to a camera to keep the audience interested, but the professor did a nice job of staying animated and conveying passion about her subject matter.

By Jan P

Jun 03, 2020

I found the course suprisingly helpful, to be honest. I didn't expect to learn that much, since I already took a project management at a local university - but this course actually covered things, like mathematical risk analysis, which my university didn't. Also, the presentation of the material is much less boring than I remember my tutors. You could say there is a slight difference between a tutor of a top university and some local guy ;-)

By Mohd R S

Aug 22, 2017

I like this course very much and i gain much new plus point in that course like Microsoft Project about scope,budget,risk management cost analysis and time relation and dependance and network diagram and other much more in this course .so like to thank all staff of coursera for help me with like this and also i like to ask coursera to add civil engineering coursera like Quantity Surveying and Primavera P6 and Autocad in the cousera.thank

By Saul R T

Aug 27, 2020

Great course that covers all the fundamentals of project planning and management .. including risk management, earned value, Agile-Scrum and different methodologies to manage the project during its life cycle. Great knowledge from the instructor Yael Grushka-Cockayne.,she is fantastic, Really well- versed in the topics presented. Also the readings and exercises are appropriate to use the knowledge presented during the course. Thank you !!

By Jundel N

Oct 24, 2020

Since the course is just about fundamentals, I did not expect it to be super in-depth, and I really appreciate it for what it is. I've learned new information and enjoyed the learning process. I love Ms. Yael's energy in explaining concepts-- this is really what made me stay in the course. I also appreciate the case studies, as this taught me things that I would have not learned otherwise if the whole course was just purely about theory.

By Fiorella R

Jul 13, 2017

On the point. It was a great way to start understanding project management applying basic and specific concepts and tools to our work and everyday life. This course taught me how to modify and evaluate the projects we have in order to reach a successful product/goal in a desirable time with an specific budget. I am seriously considering to pursue an MBA or MHA and this course increased my reassurance to go through that path. Thank you!!

By Kevin S

Jan 29, 2019

An excellent course with a clear and concise overview of project management. The instructor was extremely knowledgeable and a captivating speaker and the structure of the course was perfect. A++ . The only suggested improvement is, for someone like me that's absorbs concepts much better visually, sometimes the slides with diagrams weren't left up to display long enough to follow, understand, and absorb them.

Overall a fantastic course

By Christine W M

Feb 17, 2017

I enrolled for the course with some hesitance as I had done another MOOC on project planning and management and by the end the course it looked like rocket science. This time, I admit I have learned. I now know the fundamentals which to me a a good foundation and I have acquired valuable skills. The facilitator was an excellent communicator and the content very good. I actually feel I can now apply what I have learned with confidence.

By Muhammad S N

Apr 24, 2020

Course was well planned, well organized and well delivered. The course helped me in familiarizing myself with Project Planning and Management, and in this regard adding to my skills for future endeavours. I myself found it helpful to further implement my skills and familiarize in this regard with the field work and office environment and engineering projects ultimately. The instructor presented the content perfectly and well paced.

By Sajeet M J

Apr 21, 2020

Thankyou for this course on Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management. It was fun managing various events in college, beut never knew these factors played an important role in management of the same. My love for this subject made me take up this course and the lecture presented by the Instructor gave me enough knowledge about the topic. It was s good learning experience and looking forward for more course like this.

By Shu N C

Jun 25, 2020

The course is very well-structured and students get to learn in a step by step basis. Lecturer is very precise and clear in her description and teaching of the principles. Although there is little feedback from the quizzes, the forums serve as a complementary platform to ask for clarifications and explanations from fellow coursemates. Discussions with coursemates on the forum serve to answer doubts on the course content.