Back to Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management by University of Virginia

Projects are all around us. Virtually every organization runs projects, either formally or informally. We are engaged in projects at home and at work. Across settings, planning principles and execution methodologies can offer ways in which projects can be run more effectively and efficiently. Project management provides organizations (and individuals) with the language and the frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks. This is an introductory course on the key concepts of planning and executing projects. We will identify factors that lead to project success, and learn how to plan, analyze, and manage projects. Learners will be exposed to state-of-the-art methodologies and to considering the challenges of various types of projects. As a Project Management Institute (PMI®) Registered Education Provider, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business has been approved by PMI to issue 12 professional development units (PDUs) for this course, which focuses on core competencies recognized by PMI. (Provider #2122)...

FG

Apr 02, 2020

It helped e to understand the specifications of project management in such ways. It is a really helpful education. I will apply mt earnings to my job and I am sure I will see the difference of my look

SH

Mar 19, 2018

The course provided a good introductory lessons on project planning and management. The course was organized clearly with interesting exercises and the instructions were helpful. Thank you very much.

951 - 975 of 1,185 Reviews for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

By THIRUPURA S

May 23, 2020

NICE

By Kuljeet K

Mar 01, 2017

Good

By Pedro O

Jul 25, 2016

Feb 08, 2017

G

By Alex H

Dec 13, 2015

This was my first online course and I like it a lot. The course was well structured, well taught and covered relevant aspects of project planning and project management. It made me think about things I or our company is not doing (I'm not a project manager but impacted by it). And it gave me some tools to improve on individual and on company level. Everything was very practical and insightful. The cases helped as well and I liked the YouTube material. If there were topics that I would like to have had more information, then on Agile Project Management, as this becomes more and more important in my industry. And then it would have been helpful to get more insights on how to estimate time and especially budgets, knowing that this course is not about financial or ressource planning and understanding that these aspects vary from company to company and from project to project. Nevertheless it might have helped (me) but the course provided everything to figure it out anyway. Overall I can recommend this course for a solid base and inspiration in project planning and project management.

By Queenie M

Apr 22, 2020

Great overview of the principles of Project Management! I was thinking about changing careers so this course did a good job in describing the fundamental concepts of project management. You can easily apply the concepts learned to any small/large projects that you want to work on. It is a very informative course and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to learn about or get into Project Management.

There was an emphasis on the planning & risk management phases. Also includes a few short introduction tutorials on how to use Excel & MS Project to develop and analyze schedules/graphs.

I like to take notes during the videos instead of printing out the slides. I thought the content on the slides could have been organized better and for the instructor's explanations to be more in sync with what was being shown on the slides. I sometimes used Google to find more in-depth information or clarification of certain concepts.

By Aneesh V

Apr 23, 2019

As the name suggests, this course offers various tools and techniques for PM at an introductory level. While the content of the course was good, an area of improvement would be in the execution of the case studies. I believe that they really held the key for a complete understanding, by providing an opportunity (in a virtual setting) to assess when and how to apply these tools. Case studies were present in every section of the course and I tried to make the best of it. However, it was more like a 'comment' section, since our assessments were not appraise/evaluated. Or it would have been appreciated if a 'correct assessment' was provided (after submitting our answers of course). Hope the course is updated in this respect.

By Umar S

Oct 30, 2016

i like how the course covers metrics to track project tracking and how lecturer walks you over how to do plan projects in MS project. I feel like i can plan my projects better with the knowledge I've gained to create WBS. However, I do feel that at times the professor superficially covered subjects that i'd like her to delve more into. For example, dealing with complexities and ambiguity as a form of risk. The least she could have done is supplemented a useful article. She also doesn't talk about PERT, but implies it in her risk variance lecture (e.g., in her Tornado Chart). I also noticed that she condenses the 5 PMBOK phases into 4 by amalgamating Monitoring and Control with Execution.

By Rona B

Mar 05, 2018

Good overview of the full cycle of project management. the instructor was personable and presented professionally. The first two week's material was much easier to understand than the last. I felt the instructor went from beginner to intermediate, when the entire class should have been beginner . Students unfamiliar with project management terms and processes will have to view the lessons several times. While reading all the recommended support materials is not necessary to pass the course, it is critical to really understand the concepts covered.

By Tony O

Feb 21, 2017

This is a great introductory course to project management. The material is delivered very well and the material well chosen. The only negative I have is that some of the lectures are quite long, compared to other online courses I have done and I think would have benefited from some mini quizzes during the lectures to keep the student engaged and ensure that the material stuck. In the past I have worked as a project manager on software projects and I wish I had taken this course before starting the job. It would have helped a lot.

By William H

Mar 07, 2020

Often when you are employed as a PM you are under-resourced at many junctures. Certain valuable techniques fall by the wayside and can be long forgotten. Especially in a high-paced environment such as Advertising and PR where aggressive delivery times are the norm. After many years of working "In The Wild" and delivering over 300 digital projects with budgets from 30K to 500K, it was valuable and refreshing to revisit the basics.

By Daniel D

Dec 29, 2016

The course was quite interesting and provided lots of literature sources for further reading. The instructor was lovely and pleasant-to-listen. The content was very easy to understand and pretty diverse. However, I was not satisfied with the fact this MOOC can be finished by passing 4 simple tests in order to achieve the grade. I definetely wanted to practice the knowledge deeper in the weeks' assignments.

By SHAMILLAH N

May 29, 2017

It was a very informative course for me and in my opinion the Professor explained it in such a nice and simple way and made it much easier to understand. I would have loved it however if we could have had more direction on the software tools and how to use them as the directions provided don't really show you how to use these tools effectively. This would have made it an even greater experience.

By Rani E

Jan 28, 2020

Overlooking a couple of errant quiz questions, and assumed math approaches, this course provided ample and accurate information for individuals to strongly grasp the basics (and plenty of nuances) of Project Management. It is a motivator to continue deeper learning into the overall Industry, as well as into specialized elements of the Industry, and approach either path with confidence.

By Willem

Jan 18, 2017

Good and interesting course on the basics of project management. Videos are very clear and the information is good accessable. It could be stuffed in 1 week but spread it out over 4 weeks is better to let it sink in. It may be interesting to add a quick overview of other management styles, for example, for projects with very high uncertainties and different types of business.

By Regina W

Sep 30, 2020

I found the tests to be quite challenging, which was good ultimately. I learned a lot about why certain projects I have managed in the past were successul and I learned ways to improve upon my project management skills. This course moved me from relying primarily on instincts in leadership to involving project management technical science/skill.

By Alex L

Sep 05, 2020

Relatively easy course, some parts were perhaps too generalized or simplistic to be applied in a real setting, while at other times the examples seemed highly convoluted. Nevertheless, I think it gave me some handy tools to work with, and if the day comes when I'm tasked with managing a major project, I think the material learned will be useful.