Back to Improving Communication Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving Communication Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to communicate more effectively at work and achieve your goals. Taught by award-winning Wharton professor and best-selling author Maurice Schweitzer, Improving Communications Skills is an essential course designed to give you both the tools you need to improve your communication skills, and the most successful strategies for using them to your advantage. You'll learn how to discover if someone is lying (and how to react if they are), how to develop trust, the best method of communication for negotiation, and how to apologize. You'll also learn when to cooperate and when to compete, how to create persuasive messages, ask thoughtful questions, engage in active listening, and choose the right medium (face-to-face conversation, video conference, phone call, or email) for your messages. By the end of the course, you'll be able to understand what others want, respond strategically to their wants and needs, craft convincing and clear messages, and develop the critical communication skills you need to get ahead in business and in life....

AJ

Mar 10, 2018

What a great class!! I enjoyed every bit of it! and learned alot about how trust and deception work. The mechanism of Goal setting and ideas about how to have an effective conversation.

TR

Feb 25, 2019

Great material, the professor does a great job explaining complex topics in a straightforward and plain way. You will get very insightful takeaways for your life and work afterwords.

1 - 25 of 160 Reviews for Improving Communication Skills

By César A d F R

May 12, 2019

Great overall course, multiple nuances, and insights presented on a variety of subjects related to communication. On the negative side, the evaluation could be more interactive, not only consisting of multiple choice quizzes but maybe include some written task or even video eschange.

By Robert C

Oct 29, 2018

Some parts of this course were good and some weren't. I would have liked to have heard less of telling stories and more focus on communication. I totally disagree with the whole concept that there is any platform where threats are a good idea. I would have like to have seen more clarity in the lectures about core and non-core violations. The lecture veered off into stories about well's Fargo, Martha Stewart, David Letterman and political figures. I would have liked to have seen the quizzes do a better job of reflecting the lectures instead of being a game of chance. Or, whack a mole. Mostly, I found this course to be a bunch of crap mostly because of the stories which had no real bearing on the course. After the second week, I quit watching the lectures and downloaded the scripts. There probably needs to be further readings if a topic isn't covered very well.

By bikram k

Sep 23, 2018

The course is good. I would like to see exercises and tools that can we used, practiced in daily life.

By Sergio C

Aug 07, 2018

I find the course simplified and therefore effective. I enjoyed it and believe it is going to be useful moving forward. However, I believe some quizzes were not clear enough and lead to confusion.

By Kierra A W

Jun 24, 2019

I strongly encourage taking this course! The descriptions and explanations for each topic are rich, informative, and interesting. Each week holds lots of information that has changed my perspective on communication and the best way to get what you want. Overall, this course is extremely exciting and I strongly recommend taking it.

By Shreyansh K

Jun 22, 2019

great

By Kibrom T

May 29, 2019

I was very interesting and useful.

By Anita

v

By Olena W

May 29, 2019

I did really enjoy the course. I gave a different perspective on situations and personal behaviour. The approach was very effective and the knowledge sticks in your mind. Very good.

By P K G

May 24, 2019

very good and changed my way of viewing communications. thank you very much

By Brianna W

May 20, 2019

I wish the points were clearer. I would have benefited more from exercises on thinking critically. I don't learn from getting bad grades on quizzes.

By RACHEL H

May 20, 2019

great course

By Panagiota N

May 19, 2019

very interesting!!!!!

By Alla P

May 15, 2019

Professor Maurice Schweitzer is obviously an expert in this field, and it was great to be able to learn from him. Course was very useful and thoughtfully presented.

Thank you!

By Derek R

Apr 14, 2019

OK

By Shapkina E

Mar 24, 2019

That was a challenging course. A lot of new vocabulary and course by itself took a lot attention and time from me. I am happy I completed it and I wish now to read all notes and start applying knowledge in practice. Thanks for this course. Regards, Elizaveta.

By Duncan E O O

Mar 24, 2019

Wow!?

By Atilio M

Mar 07, 2019

Great course, easy to follow and understand.

By Sonja L

Mar 05, 2019

Lost of great examples to really explain the content

By Ankush D

Mar 04, 2019

I love the course and the kind of explanation used by the creator is through and specific. The Examples used are appropriate and It helps a viewer to understand with ease.

By Isabelle W

Mar 03, 2019

I think the content of the course will probably be different to what you thought it would, but it's definitely worthy of trying. Really useful and easy to comprehend, especially with proper amounts of examples.

By LATHRO

Feb 28, 2019

Great content espacially week 2 and 4. Many examples.

But deeply details about the some topic of the course will make it better

By Tomas R

Feb 25, 2019

By Joseph K

Jan 29, 2019

Some of the quizzes were too difficult.

By Caroline H

Jan 28, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed Professor Schweitzer's "Improving Communication Skills" course. It was an unexpected lecture for me in terms of the materials being taught. However, I really appreciated learning about social dynamics, the breakdown and analyses, of communication. Professor Schweitzer is a great instructor and has kept my attention for these past 4 weeks of lecture. Great course!