Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the online course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

AM
Feb 27, 2021

It is a great course! teachers explain everything with care. While providing lectures there are some popup ques that verify whether you understood that lecture or not. Overall, a great experience.

451 - 460 of 460 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Riley K

Jun 15, 2021

Link for quiz tool did not work and wasn't fixed after a month. The order of the units seemed like it made little sense in my opinion. Some questions were worded poorly or crucial information was left out or vague

By rajinder s s

Dec 13, 2020

I did not get much from the course. while the material is interesting but somehow some instructors lack the ability to explain things very clearly.

By kaushik

Jun 10, 2020

some of the topics were fucking bad the explanations could have been a way more clearer felt bad

By Andrea Z

Apr 26, 2020

good content, but I have to say that is very and I mean very hard to understand the teachers

By William L H

Aug 24, 2020

I'm not sure which is more bizarre, the topics being discussed or the quizzes.

By CH C

Jun 21, 2021

solutions are contradictory. i am trying to unenroll, please help me, thanks

By RAYADURGAM K K

By far the worst Coursera course, I've taken

By Michael J M

Aug 28, 2021

unable to unenroll. extremely frustrating.

By Yiqing L