Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the online course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

AM

Feb 27, 2021

It is a great course! teachers explain everything with care. While providing lectures there are some popup ques that verify whether you understood that lecture or not. Overall, a great experience.

176 - 200 of 483 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Gustavo K

Nov 19, 2017

Perfectly explained. I very much enjoy leaning by examples.

By Gary M

Aug 15, 2020

Very enjoyable course - I learnt a lot taking this course.

By Mir H

Jun 20, 2020

this course is very good to learn new tricks and concepts.

By Vandana S

Apr 19, 2020

It was a very nice and simple course. Explained very well.

By Vladimir S

Jan 13, 2022

Отличный курс. Все доступно понятно и интересно! Спасибо!

By Aryan R

Jul 21, 2020

Awesome course if you wanna learn about proofs and logic

By Xiaoyuan C

Dec 21, 2017

A very interesting introduction to discrete mathematics.

By Yugesh K

Sep 11, 2020

A course on Discrete Mathematics can't get any better!!

By Kiran K K

Jul 19, 2020

skills learned induction, mathematical logic... in few.

By Greg H

Jan 24, 2020

Great Course. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

By Aruneema D

Sep 26, 2020

Really Nice! I would like to do more courses like this

By Wonder K G

Aug 29, 2020

This is very interesting.. my head is about to explode

By Fahmida B

Jun 23, 2020

Its e great experience. I Learn every topic clearly.

By Feyaz B

May 8, 2020

Covered all the basics, I learnt a lot from this!

By Sowat H R

Apr 27, 2020

Highly recommended for beginners.

By SANKALP J

May 6, 2020

Good and Nice way of learning

By Nick E

Apr 22, 2020

Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

By Shyam M

May 5, 2020

I just loved the course.

By Ujjwal K

Apr 25, 2020

thanks

By Ethan H

Jul 15, 2020

Good overall, but week 6 in particular was below my expectations. The students should not be answering questions in order to correct errors in the lecturer's phrasing; you should simply do the sensible thing and re-record the lecture, ensuring accuracy before posting. The final (albeit optional) project of the course is to write a solver for the 15-puzzle. This involved some graph theory self study, since graph theory is out of the scope of this course. A hastily explained intro to graph theory during the final lecture without slides is not sufficient to prepare the students for this task. I would strongly suggest a revision of the entire 6th week.

By Rob R

Sep 17, 2021

I found some of the questions difficult to understand, but I couldn't tell if my misunderstanding was because of the concepts being new, or if the wording of the question was just odd. The course might benefit from a second pass by a native English speaker on the quiz portions - test are already incredibly stressful even when they are super clear. Aside from that though, the course was great. I learned a few new ways to look at problems which I think will help me in my day to day work. I found the instructors very knowledgeable and funny as well.

Keep up the good work!

By 4101_Ridesh R

Jul 10, 2020

The Course is Good overall but the entire lectures in Week 6 is not clear to me . Alexander sir done a great job in Week 1 and 2 but not that great in Week 6. Even though I re-watched the lectures again, I can't able to get full information given in the videos......I struggled so much in Quiz questions of Week 6...