Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

AM
Feb 27, 2021

It is a great course! teachers explain everything with care. While providing lectures there are some popup ques that verify whether you understood that lecture or not. Overall, a great experience.

401 - 425 of 430 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By DELA C J K (

Mar 25, 2020

HARD

By Robin H

Nov 5, 2020

Interesting but needs MUCH better instruction. I'm sure the people teaching this really know their stuff but the students need to be able to understand it. Not even considering the heavy accents making the instructors hard to understand at some times, the instructors are just not good teachers. In order for someone to be a good instructor they have to know the content AND be able to explain the content so that someone without knowledge of the content can easily follow and understand. I felt like most of what they said was reading or paraphrasing power point slides and this course seemed more like a 'review' course for someone who had already been taught the concepts previously. Many times the course flow seemed unorganized as well. Having to program was also a problem when the course was not supposed to have prerequisites as a 'beginner' course. I want to take more courses in this specialization but am worried to do so since these guys teach the other classes as I'm sure the instruction will be pretty bad as well but further complicated by more difficult concepts.

By Maria S

Apr 6, 2021

The instructor seems super nice and friendly and smart, buuuut. I'm not sure if there is a more methodical way to teach this material, I just find the presentation of the puzzles very frustrating. It's not really clicking for me to keep watching examples, and after a couple of weeks, I still feel like I'm not really learning anything -- just feel like I'm watching someone show me 'tricks' to solve puzzles in the hopes that some pattern will suddenly spark a light bulb. At every step of the way, I keep thinking 'nope, still not getting it', 'nope, that hint didn't work for me', 'nope, you're gonna have to explain it all the way to the end'. I can't help but feel there has to be a better way to teach mathematical thinking...

By S. U

Aug 9, 2020

Interesting topics, lots of puzzles, but lacks structure. Lectures are well-prepared, but as someone new to this space, I would have preferred a bit more structure to the learning, with a clearer idea of how we would incorporate the concepts into something more than simply solving odd parlor trick puzzles.

As it stands now, I'm not confident I would recognize when I would be able to deploy any of the skills/concepts taught in the course. A shame, because the instructors are easy to follow and engaging.

By Araik B

Dec 28, 2020

I came out of that with a 100% and was confused from start to finish. Some of the classes did help in regards to the other programming class I took.

The beginning message that you do not need to know anything other than algebra and basic math was way off.

I don't feel like i got much out of this specific one but it is part of a package so we will see how the rest develop - usually its by the last class im like OH THIS IS WHY

By Andrés M

Jul 3, 2021

As much as I liked this course, I wouldn't recommend it. I felt there was a language barrier, using sloppy English for an academic environment. Pronunciation was often hard to understand. And I found the teaching methods often to being too rough in the spirit of being more "challenging". Definitely not what I was expecting from an North American University.

By Jeffrey W

Nov 3, 2020

Not great quality of teaching. They made lots of assumptions about what you knew and could have explained things a lot more comprehensively. They also made a lot of mistakes In their speaking, and corrected them with numerous on screen corrections, which made It hard to get Into the flow of the class.

By DINKAR S K 2

May 27, 2021

The course itself is good. Easy to hard problems. But the external tools which helps you in solving puzzles does not work. So, you will be unable to get through the course. This may be perfectly OK if you care about the grades, but not if you really want to learn.

By Nijat A

Oct 29, 2020

I personally think the content could have been better structured and explained - I had to frequently refer to other materials on the internet to understand some of the concepts. Also, the programming task in Week 6 is not designed for a beginner such as myself.

By Ian L

Sep 3, 2018

I got stuck for ages on the last puzzle where you cut the squares, because it was not obvious that the middle square was not supposed to be counted as the shape - it looks like a grid of 9 squares.

By Aaron A

Jun 6, 2020

A lot of sections were not explained really well. I had a hard time following the concepts.

By Sidney G

Oct 19, 2020

The lecture is good however, it is difficult to understand because of the stuttering.

By Matthew E

Apr 27, 2020

Some interesting ideas, but course delivery and content needs a lot of work.

By Ramkumar

Apr 22, 2020

i don't know how this course is going to help in computer scien

By Luis M V F

Jan 9, 2020

This course lacks of mathematical foundations.

By Assael M

May 10, 2021

course material was great

By Ganesh P

Mar 23, 2021

I can't figure out what direction the course is going, and what the end goal is each lesson or in general. I don't feel like i'm learning anything objective but that i'm just being presented with loose and abstract ideas, that can't be applied anywhere.

You need to watch the video a couple of times to understand what they are talking about and even then you don't know why we are learning to solve that puzzle, what can be taken away from it that is useful anywhere else.

ABSOLUTE WASTE OF MONEY!

There is no refund, so I cancelled my subscription but watch everyday anyways to get my money's worth, hoping to see if by chance i find something useful to apply in my programming, but it's fruitless. Even by the poll results from quizzes, you can tell, most people aren't following.

To think this is course is provided by a university. Youtube provides much better content for free and I just found a good course

By Chanon B

Jun 28, 2021

I​'d give this 0 stars if I could. Don't be baited by the "University of California" subtext, it's 100% taught by professors from HSE University in Russia. There's a language barrier; I understand that English is not their first language, but since lectures are all pre-recorded there's no excuse for stuttering and stumbling through a pre-written script, especially not for "lectures" that are only a few minutes long at most. Homework and assignments are child's play, but also with no real feedback.

By Khan S H

week 2 to week 5 does not cover much, especially does not provide any clue how that could be used in computer science. It shows many ways to solve the problem but give zero direction how one could think about a new problem. When you have a new problem, you do not know which theory will apply. How should we think to decide which theory will work, this should be covered.

By Onur S S

Sep 3, 2020

I'd give 5 star, i just wanna indicate a problem. After week 3, 3rd party puzzle app links are broken. I can't do exercises. I see '502 Bad Gateway nginx/1.18.0' error on my page. Apart from this, course is awesome.

By Riley K

Jun 15, 2021

Link for quiz tool did not work and wasn't fixed after a month. The order of the units seemed like it made little sense in my opinion. Some questions were worded poorly or crucial information was left out or vague

By rajinder s s

Dec 13, 2020

I did not get much from the course. while the material is interesting but somehow some instructors lack the ability to explain things very clearly.

By Balakumaran

Apr 12, 2020

The worst course I have ever taken. Concepts have been explained very poorly. Please please don't waste time on learning this course.

By kaushik

Jun 10, 2020

some of the topics were fucking bad the explanations could have been a way more clearer felt bad

By Andrea Z

Apr 26, 2020

good content, but I have to say that is very and I mean very hard to understand the teachers