Back to Wood Science: Beyond Building

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wood Science: Beyond Building by West Virginia University

The central question of this course: “why study wood?” If “why study wood” is the question, one answer would be that it is the only raw material available to us that is truly renewable in human life span terms. Wood is as important to society today as it ever was, despite the development of many man-made substitute materials, changing resource availability, and the changing needs of society. Some items on the list of wood products stay the same (lumber, plywood and veneer for building construction, furniture, shipping pallets & crates and other containers & packaging materials, railroad ties, utility poles, chemical feed stocks, etc), but the list also keeps changing to meet new needs and challenges as the resource changes. In short, wood is a far more diverse, green, and renewable resource than you might have imagined. Join us to learn about the important role of wood in human history, civilization, and our future. By the end of the course, learners will be able to: - describe wood as a raw material and its critical importance to the world economy, and the lives of the people that make that economy work. - identify the projected trend for wood consumption to continue to grow in the coming years, despite the image of wood as a "low tech" material. - identify the ways in which wood's properties can lead to its efficient and sustainable use. -identify wood's positive role in boosting the world economy and ability to lead to unexpected vocations....

DB
Jun 4, 2020

I am glad that I took this informative course. This course is useful to each and every people irrespective of their academic background and interests. It is good course regarding wood and its uses.

CZ
Feb 11, 2020

As a Civil Engineering student, this course has been very helpful for me. I do recommend to have this course in order to get the basic concept of wood science and its use as a building material.

26 - 50 of 158 Reviews for Wood Science: Beyond Building

By Amin M

May 16, 2021

it is a very good course and I learn many things that never seen or hear about that. I hope to give a new course about contract woody building from first to operation.

By samet

Jan 13, 2020

It was a great experience to learn wood, I am a civil engineer unfortunately we learn much of wood in school. Thanks to everyone who available us to learn this materials.

By Ronie C D J S

Nov 25, 2019

This is an awesome course! Such a fair conversation an dialogues about many technologies, as well as issues involved in the use of the wood resources. Highly recommended.

By David T

Mar 27, 2020

Short, sweet, simple, and concise while at the same time presenting a decent summary of key factors affecting wood use and harvest as it pertains to construction.

By Rajasekhar R

Apr 26, 2020

Thank you so much. Excellent lectures. Clear explanations in a practical view.

Thanks alot to coursera for providing this platform to learn.

Thanks to instructors

By Ravi C

Jul 27, 2020

Few words are not just enough to say if you love the nature and environment for this course, it is a really very informative course. Thanks for the course

By Margaret

Apr 24, 2018

Very imformative, very engaging, very inspiring!

An awesome course to be taken and the knowledge shared here is simply shocking and usefull.

THANK YOU.

By LINDA D M M

Mar 25, 2021

gran curso sobre las maderas y todo lo que lo compone, muy bien explicado y argumentado, grandes personajes y un agradable ambiente de estudio.

By PARVATHY G R

Sep 14, 2020

this is an awesome course.I really get some variety experiences the information about wood.wood is not simple subject.it has a vast to study

By Rangani s p

Apr 15, 2019

It is a very useful topic to everyone. It explains about the how human damage environment. And how we regulate the wastages of wood

By Freire A P P

Jan 22, 2021

Para los que quieran conocer sobre la madera y todo lo que lo rodea, recomiendo este curso. Encontrarán datos interesantes.

By Laura K

Loved the course, so interesting and insightful. Very helpful for someone in the design/furniture/architecture industry.

By Vinicius P M R

Jun 20, 2020

It is an amazing course. I learned a lot about wood science and probably I'll apply some knowledge in my work now.

By Dana L

Jun 22, 2019

I loved the course. Very informative, I shared some resource links with my mothernatureus facebook fanpage too.

By Yugantara K

May 2, 2020

It was awesome experience during this course.I got to know many things related to wood.Thank you so much

By Aditya r

Nov 5, 2020

it is a very good course especially for civil engineers. this course has a lot of learning experience

By Kalliopi K

Mar 25, 2018

Great course for introduction to forestry with many information about wood science. GREAT teachers !

By Jeyhun R

Nov 28, 2019

It is not only theoretically but also practically educational. Thank you for such amazing course.

By Sagar S

Jun 28, 2020

Great course to learn more about ecology of woods and its engineering aspects and utilization!

By Julurueswari p l

Jun 1, 2020

I learnt so many things about wood how it useful ,so I enjoyed this course while I listening

By MOHAMED M P

Sep 23, 2020

This course is a great opportunity to learn wood technology and a very good presentation.

By Catherine M B J

Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for all the knowledge that you shared to the students. God bless and More Power.

By Bishesh S

Jul 29, 2020

I really like the quizzes in the middle of the video, it compels viewers to stay focus.

By ANJANA S P

Sep 17, 2020

This was very helpful to me .from this course i understood deeply about wood science.

By Rait E

Nov 22, 2020

Illumination. Thank you for putting this course together, we need more of these.