Back to Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C by Duke University

4.4

Building on the course Programming Fundamentals, this course will teach you how to write code by first planning what your program should do—an important approach for novice and professional programmers. You will learn how to compile and run your program, and then how to test and debug it. This course builds on the Seven Steps you have already learned and provides a framework for systematically testing for problems and fixing them, so you can find and fix problems efficiently. ******Note: Due to a recent spike in enrollments for the Introduction to Programming in C Specialization, we are currently having technical difficulties with programming environment for this course, which prevents some learners from completing the course's programming assignments. Until this matter is resolved, we recommend you choose to audit (https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209818613-Enrollment-options) this course and study the video lessons until this matter is resolved. We will email all learners when this matter is resolved. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working diligently to remedy the problem. Please note that this does not impact the first course of this Specialization, Programming Fundamentals....

KK

Instructors and the instructors who moderate the forums are great. It is a bit different way to look at programming but it makes sense and I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn C

AE

Jun 15, 2020

It is actually a hard course i guess you need to have at least the basics as some of the assignments were really hard take me a lot of time to do them. especially the poker assignment

76 - 100 of 118 Reviews for Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C

By Jules

Nice one

By G N R

May 02, 2020

Good

By Sk I A

Jan 24, 2020

Honestly speaking, Coursera doesn't need any review as it's already a world-class platform. But the thing for which i gave 4 star, because i have only completed 5 or 6 assignments so far and i don't know why suddenly my financial aid expired for which i had to apply for it again till then i'm not able to access my assignments after so much hardwork i have done to complete the assignments, sometimes it took me 2-3 days to solve a problem and sometime i had to wait for an week to manage.But it is proven that the Assignments are much! much! tougher than the actual thing they teach in Coursera. While studying Rectangle intersection when they taught me the logic it seemed so simple but when it comes to assignments of rectangle intersection, it literally lowered my self-esteem. The Overlapping square assignment was literally the tough where the algorithm which was written on the emacs editor of PPE was itself totally misleading, though it was a very big satisfaction when i completed the assignment and it helped me to develop my skills but i had to take help from the discussion and sometimes even discussions are of no use, you have to find your own way to solve it just like i did in the squares problem. Hope Coursera again accepts my financial aid so that i can continue my incomplete course for which i have done a lot of work. You just have spend a lot of time to complete the coursera course, as it's literally very challenging.

By J K

Jun 04, 2019

I like the use of separate tools (instead of visual studio) and I FULLY agree with the ski/snowboard analysis of why the use of *nix type software.

A disadvantage - but that might be a personal thingy - is the black-box testing and thinking of test cases. I assume that it has something to do with my own impatience. I'm really missing the ability to check the code for errors too. Simple black-box testing... not my thing

Otherwise, I'd recommend the course, and have actually already recommended it, to anyone interesting in this stuff. Very good!

By Mubeen M

Jul 17, 2020

Definitely a highly resourceful course. The only thing is the times mentioned or allowed for certain sections of reading are not sufficient. Also if you are new to terminal or emacs it may take more than three amounts of time required for coding. They have very clearly stated the shortcuts for MacOs but keys are different for normal laptops with windows that are somewhat different. Would have been great if mentioned those too.

Coursera should allow us to make notes from reading sections also not just from the videos section.

By ilai l

Aug 03, 2019

Over all I think this is a good course.

I think that some notes should be added for FAQs about the assignment as most question in the discussions aren't always phrased correctly (and it will save the staffs time answering repeating questions)

Also I think that there should be some more reading about the methodology of testing as I just played a lot with the input and prayed a lot more (more luck than brains...)

By NIKHIL S

Jul 08, 2020

Just like of the first course again this course is not for absolute beginners (novices), but for someone having a bit of programming knowledge and experience, it is simply fabulous. If you are a novice and have the grit to learn and go for it, the same goes for the experienced ones also.

By Rudraksh J

Jul 13, 2020

Great videos, teaching and material! For the feedback part, it will be very helpful if the discussion forums are more interactive. Also, the assignments' README should state more explicitly what should to be done and some hits.

Thank you Duke University for the course!!

By Gonzalo E

Aug 19, 2019

I think it's a great course. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars it's because of the final assignment that in my opinion is not well explained and turns into a time consuming exercise of hit and miss. Other than that, wonderful class :)

By Seif E E

Jun 26, 2019

The Testing assignments were very challenging considering they were black box and we had no access to the code itself ,I hope better Hints are given to students as some of the tests really depended on the implementation.

By Siddhant A K

May 03, 2020

A Bit Hard course, since it has many assignments also some are complex, but 100% guaranty that you will learn to run a succesfull code by solving assignments and completing the material

By satyendra

Aug 10, 2020

grader is too confusing but the faculty managed to overcome it with their experience. I request the faculty to use alternative methods for ppe tool to not confuse students

By Siddharth R

Aug 15, 2019

Took me a while to finish this course but I am glad I finally did it on my own !!! Thank you for introducing me to git. The tool is being used at our work place !!!!

By Courtney J

Jul 11, 2019

the PPE is really annoying -- times out arbitrarily, does weird things if you type more characters than the line allows.

By Øyvind M E

Jun 01, 2020

Good course, but if you're stuck on a particular coding problem it might take some time to fix it.

By Preeti

Jul 11, 2020

I am learn lot of thing and also clear all my doubt

It is best course for study c language

By HITESH G

Jun 13, 2019

poker question requires need more info so that students could understand ques easily

By ch4ewon

Nov 27, 2018

the last tast was awful though,

it was helpful to understand what is "test"

By Farman A T

Aug 08, 2020

Firstly hard to beginner but very helpful.

By PARTHKUMAR M

assignment is little bit tough

By Vishwajith.K