Back to Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C by Duke University

4.3

Building on the course Programming Fundamentals, this course will teach you how to write code by first planning what your program should do—an important approach for novice and professional programmers. You will learn how to compile and run your program, and then how to test and debug it. This course builds on the Seven Steps you have already learned and provides a framework for systematically testing for problems and fixing them, so you can find and fix problems efficiently....

KK

Instructors and the instructors who moderate the forums are great. It is a bit different way to look at programming but it makes sense and I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn C

AE
Jun 14, 2020

It is actually a hard course i guess you need to have at least the basics as some of the assignments were really hard take me a lot of time to do them. especially the poker assignment

101 - 125 of 161 Reviews for Writing, Running, and Fixing Code in C

By J K

Jun 4, 2019

I like the use of separate tools (instead of visual studio) and I FULLY agree with the ski/snowboard analysis of why the use of *nix type software.

A disadvantage - but that might be a personal thingy - is the black-box testing and thinking of test cases. I assume that it has something to do with my own impatience. I'm really missing the ability to check the code for errors too. Simple black-box testing... not my thing

Otherwise, I'd recommend the course, and have actually already recommended it, to anyone interesting in this stuff. Very good!

By Mubeen M

Jul 17, 2020

Definitely a highly resourceful course. The only thing is the times mentioned or allowed for certain sections of reading are not sufficient. Also if you are new to terminal or emacs it may take more than three amounts of time required for coding. They have very clearly stated the shortcuts for MacOs but keys are different for normal laptops with windows that are somewhat different. Would have been great if mentioned those too.

Coursera should allow us to make notes from reading sections also not just from the videos section.

By ilai l

Aug 3, 2019

Over all I think this is a good course.

I think that some notes should be added for FAQs about the assignment as most question in the discussions aren't always phrased correctly (and it will save the staffs time answering repeating questions)

Also I think that there should be some more reading about the methodology of testing as I just played a lot with the input and prayed a lot more (more luck than brains...)

By Vicky J

Mar 30, 2021

The assignments on testing and the final project 2 (again, about testing) are frustrating. The return (the amount of learning) on your time invested in these assignments is rather low. You don't necessarily get to learn something really important just by spending 2 hours trying to figure out that one last test case.

By NIKHIL S

Jul 8, 2020

Just like of the first course again this course is not for absolute beginners (novices), but for someone having a bit of programming knowledge and experience, it is simply fabulous. If you are a novice and have the grit to learn and go for it, the same goes for the experienced ones also.

By sam r

Jul 13, 2020

Great videos, teaching and material! For the feedback part, it will be very helpful if the discussion forums are more interactive. Also, the assignments' README should state more explicitly what should to be done and some hits.

Thank you Duke University for the course!!

By STEFANO P C

Aug 21, 2020

Good introduction to coding in C. The only problem I had with it was the last part of the project. It was way to hard and based more on luck than on problem solving skills. Other than that, the assignments were really good to reenforce what we were learning that week.

By Gonzalo J E D

Aug 18, 2019

I think it's a great course. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars it's because of the final assignment that in my opinion is not well explained and turns into a time consuming exercise of hit and miss. Other than that, wonderful class :)

By Seif E E

Jun 26, 2019

The Testing assignments were very challenging considering they were black box and we had no access to the code itself ,I hope better Hints are given to students as some of the tests really depended on the implementation.

By Siddhant K

May 3, 2020

A Bit Hard course, since it has many assignments also some are complex, but 100% guaranty that you will learn to run a succesfull code by solving assignments and completing the material

By satyendra

Aug 10, 2020

grader is too confusing but the faculty managed to overcome it with their experience. I request the faculty to use alternative methods for ppe tool to not confuse students

By Siddharth R

Aug 15, 2019

Took me a while to finish this course but I am glad I finally did it on my own !!! Thank you for introducing me to git. The tool is being used at our work place !!!!

By MEGHNA K

Oct 18, 2020

It was a great course. And we gain a lot of information from this one. Hope you too enjoy completing it. Thanks Coursera.

By Courtney J

Jul 11, 2019

the PPE is really annoying -- times out arbitrarily, does weird things if you type more characters than the line allows.

By Noppadon P

Dec 25, 2020

This course looks boring at first sight but when you try to complete the course's assignment it is very challenging

By KietQTHE163599

May 7, 2021

No enough help for the test case evaluation exercises and some other exercises. Aside, every thing else is perfect

By Øyvind M E

Jun 1, 2020

Good course, but if you're stuck on a particular coding problem it might take some time to fix it.

By Preeti

Jul 11, 2020

I am learn lot of thing and also clear all my doubt

It is best course for study c language

By HITESH G

Jun 13, 2019

poker question requires need more info so that students could understand ques easily

By ch4ewon

Nov 26, 2018

the last tast was awful though,

it was helpful to understand what is "test"

By Sarath K A

Dec 1, 2020

Good course. But some projects were a bit confusing for me.

By Ahmed K

Nov 24, 2021

this was exponentially getting harder to work with

By Farman A T

Aug 8, 2020

Firstly hard to beginner but very helpful.

By PARTHKUMAR M

assignment is little bit tough

By Vishwajith.K