Back to Academic Information Seeking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Academic Information Seeking by University of Copenhagen

This course will introduce you to the basic elements of academic information seeking - we will explore the search process from defining a strategy to evaluating and documenting your search results. Attending the course will make you a proficient information seeker. You will learn how to carry out comprehensive literature searches based on your own research assignment. You will be guided through the various information seeking steps from selecting relevant search strategies and techniques to evaluating your search results, documenting your search process and citing your sources. Attending the course will enable you to: • Identify your information need • Evaluate databases and other information resources • Set up search strategies and use various search techniques • Formulate search strings based on your own research assignment • Identify relevant material types • Undertake critical evaluation of your sources • Search more efficiently on the internet • Avoid plagiarism • Cite correctly • Work with reference management • Document your search process The course is intended for undergraduate students but the lessons will be useful to anyone who is interested in becoming better at finding scientific information. There are no formal requirements for the course. The series consists of 21 lectures that are organized into three modules. The lectures include small assignments and quizzes (to check comprehension). The lectures will each touch upon a topic that is essential to the information seeking process. To get the most out of the lecture series, we recommend that you access the lectures while you are working on an academic paper. We also recommend that you watch the lectures in the order in which we have structured them. We recommend that you create and fill out a log book while attending the lectures. We have created a log book template that you can use during the course. The lecture series has been developed in collaboration between information specialists at University of Copenhagen and Technical University of Denmark...

GZ

Sep 11, 2017

A detailed review of one of the most important skills in academic research: information seeking. In particular, I enjoyed the tutorials on Mendeley and reference management tools. Highly recommended!

KR

Jun 14, 2020

This course has taught me a lot of techniques in searching information for my academic researches. Thank you to all people behind this, especially to the professors in this course!

51 - 75 of 89 Reviews for Academic Information Seeking

By Tania C R V

Sep 17, 2017

A very valuable set of resources!

By Olesia A

Apr 16, 2016

concise and stright to the point

By Nguyen P

very helpful course, thank you

By Sihle M

It Good and simple to learn

By Kanat Z

By 王亦凡

Jul 01, 2020

Great!

By GOWRISWARI S

good

By Mikael W R

Jan 16, 2016

Like they say in the course for bachelor students, this is very helpful. I study history, so I always and up with millions of sources. Not only have I learned how to search intelligently, I have also learned to manage my results and papers carefully.

By Marcello V J d S

Oct 12, 2016

Objective. Very good material and good practices to help you better build a bibliography for research purpose. Sometimes the multiple answers quiz can be tricky.

By MUHAMMED E W

Jul 19, 2017

Thank you so much for this great effort, It really helped me alot, i wish you more and more success , keep up the good work .

By Maria W O

Jan 12, 2016

Apart for some slightly confusing breaks in the sentences for some speakers, it was very good and relevant information.

By Paz C

Jun 24, 2016

Very informative and interesting. I find that the exercises did not contribute enough to understanding the material.

By Vinod V M

Mar 31, 2020

It is very precise. A background in library or information science may help to conceive things easily.

By Nick B

Jan 24, 2018

The course gives you some really good tools. No doubt it will help you structure your assignments.

By Hoang D

Jul 03, 2016

I have important knowledge and skill finding information through this couse.