Back to Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity by University of California San Diego

You've learned the basic algorithms now and are ready to step into the area of more complex problems and algorithms to solve them. Advanced algorithms build upon basic ones and use new ideas. We will start with networks flows which are used in more typical applications such as optimal matchings, finding disjoint paths and flight scheduling as well as more surprising ones like image segmentation in computer vision. We then proceed to linear programming with applications in optimizing budget allocation, portfolio optimization, finding the cheapest diet satisfying all requirements and many others. Next we discuss inherently hard problems for which no exact good solutions are known (and not likely to be found) and how to solve them in practice. We finish with a soft introduction to streaming algorithms that are heavily used in Big Data processing. Such algorithms are usually designed to be able to process huge datasets without being able even to store a dataset....

FS
Oct 21, 2020

It's was great to learn advanced algorithms and complexity. Besides, I learn new topics that can help me further learning. All the problems and the lectures were very good.

EM
Jan 3, 2018

As usual, complex arguments explained in simple terms!\n\nSome problems are really tough! (e.g. there's a problem from Google Code Jam).\n\nThank you for this course!

26 - 50 of 115 Reviews for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

By Евгений С

Nov 23, 2020

I started this a couple of days ago and have been doing it hard as part of my specialization. I have only one quiz left and on November 23, a deadline suddenly came, despite the fact that I devoted a lot of time to the course and in fact completed it in two days. I have completely closed all 6 courses for specialization except for one quiz of 6 questions in week 4. Now someone has decided that the next set is only in half a year, seriously? All I need is to go through an automatic check of 6 questions without human control and get my cherished certificate. But it turns out that I wasted money? What is worth extending the course? I cannot wait that long and pay extra money. Could the moderators somehow influence this by informing people who can help?

By pengwei

Feb 10, 2017

poor course. never give any algorithm. No clue where the problem come from. The forum is only help a few people. No general ideas how to solve the problem. waist a lot of time debugging but still couldn't pass the assignment.

total waste my time and garbage course.

By Rahul K

Jun 9, 2020

lecturer seems to be reading slides without providing detailed analysis and proofs seem very superficial as well

By Mohammadmahdi H

Dec 13, 2020

Poor delivery. Skipping too many details. poor slides. poor in increasing learners' interest in the subject.

By Henry R

Jul 21, 2018

Very hard to follow the lectures, completly lost without Reference books such as Introduction to Algorithms.

By Madhusudan H J

Oct 14, 2018

When they say advanced algorithms and complexity, they mean it. I was initially under the presumption that it would be a straight forward video course, without any assignments. But when I had to start with programming assignments that's when the real test started. Amazing set of tutorials. Would have liked if the courses had more varied examples.

By Connor W

Oct 14, 2017

This is a tough course compared to the previous courses in this specialization. The cover of NP-complete problems using two weeks time is especially valuable. The course team has also done a fantastic job in designing the programming assignments.

By Dmitrii S

May 22, 2019

I very enjoyed this course! Theoretic informatics - is my favorite field of study. All the professors are the best. Dreaming to enroll in your Ph.D. program. Thank you very much

By Fahmim M S

Oct 22, 2020

By Andrii S

Jun 15, 2018

Another great course in this specialization with challenging and interesting assignments. However, this one is somewhat harder but rewarding.

By Hidetake T

Aug 15, 2019

This course is very difficult. Possible to pass programming assignments only after finishing previous courses.

By AKULA P

Mar 23, 2021

It's my pleasure to learn the course from the top instructors and this course will be helpful for my future

By Felipe A G

Jun 27, 2021

Great course, quite difficult, requires a lot of research on your own to pass the assignments.

By Tamas S

Jun 8, 2019

Very good collection of advanced topics, even useful for the 6th course in the specialization!

By Quynh V

Sep 15, 2019

I am not good in this course. But I'm always try the best! Awesome course, thank you so much!

By Fit w V

Apr 4, 2020

It has been a great experience learning with coursera !!!

By Enrique A

Oct 27, 2020

Mil Gracias maestro Alexander, Mil Gracias Coursera.

By Kaustabh G

Sep 22, 2020

It was very very hard course but worth it in the end

By Sangeeth S V

Sep 29, 2020

Amazing lectures. Learned a lot. Thank you so much.

By Prathmesh S J

May 22, 2020

Most Difficult Course but It develops mankind Power

By Ahsanul A S

Dec 25, 2020

Great course! Thanks to our respected instructors.

By b s v

Oct 19, 2017

Need more test cases for assignments.

By Raunak N

Jul 31, 2018

this course gave me hell of a time

By Ayran T O

Sep 12, 2019

Very difficult but challenging!

By Shaashwat A