Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

251 - 275 of 1,194 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Nikhil R

May 05, 2019

Basic programming for data structures in some common programming languages would have been very much helpful especially for some who are starting with scratch

By 王俊杰

Jan 19, 2019

Highly recommend that! You can really learn some fundamental algorithms in a systematical way, like the Dynamic Programming or the Conquer and Divide method.

By Mladen F

Jul 09, 2017

A detailed course with many challenging problems. In addition, they put the effort to mathematically prove all claims. Definitely worth the time investment.

By Tùng D P

Sep 27, 2016

The course brings a lot of knowledge for me, help me to improve the expertise and foreign language teachers are very easy to understand, clear pronunciation

By Nikhil B

Nov 11, 2017

The short videos won't bore you out. The visualization of every algorithm with examples really helped me.

The assignments have been very helpful. Thank you

By David D

Feb 10, 2017

This was my first taste of algorithm design--I loved it! The course was challenging but just easy enough for me to get through in an unfamiliar language.

By Piyush M

Dec 01, 2017

I got the introductory knowledge of algorithms also find various kind of interesting question that blow my mind and most interresting part is assignment

By Aidar M

Nov 12, 2017

This course gave me knowledge about ways of solving various problems via programming. I also learnt some new algorithms to use and about big O notation.

By Stefan Y G

Jul 14, 2017

Well organized. It would be better if the test cases could all be shown to give the test taker a hint on how to improve or change the programme. Thanks!

By Florian S

Oct 03, 2016

This course is designed with a lot of thought behind it and using basically every mainstream programming language makes it even more fun to participate.

By Nikhil G

Oct 30, 2017

Quite useful course for competitive programmers.If you want to improve your rating in competitions tremendously then this course is definitely for you.

By Zisheng Z

May 15, 2018

An interesting yet informative course with challenging assignments (for me, a chemistry student). I surely have improved my algorithm knowledge a lot.

By Mohammed H

Feb 27, 2016

Amazing Course. I have been looking for this kind of course for months.

Must for anyone who wants to be good in Competitive Programming and Algorithms

By Arnav a d

Nov 20, 2018

The assignments and quizzes are very thought provoking and teach a lot about problem solving approach to many classical problems in Computer science

By Andrii M

Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for this awesome course. It helped me a lot to improve my theoretical knowledge in building complex solutions based on different approaches.

By Alexander

Jul 26, 2016

Great course! I really enjoyed taking it. I think it is very challenging and it definitly updates your algorithmic's skills and changes your thnking

By Cameron F

Apr 04, 2016

It's not too much work. For someone who wants to take programming classes online but also may have a variant amount of time, this course is perfect.

By shanthosh

Jun 18, 2018

Wonderful set of assignments emphasising on conceptual understanding rather than mere theory. Loved this course. Thanks to all the faculty members.

By Eugenio G M

Mar 07, 2016

Very clear in explanations, I learnt a lot of new cool stuff.

Assignments aren't always so trivial but there's always a hint to help in solving them

By Chin J C

Jul 21, 2018

The course is wonderful and challenging! But the learning experience gets extremely frustrating when the grader does not give you the test cases.

By Natalia S

Dec 16, 2017

Excellent course! Very structured and well designed. Instructors are very knowledgeable and presentation of the material is very well organized.

By Edison S

Mar 24, 2020

Really rigorous testing compared to other courses. learned a lot by engaging in the problems. Great thanks to the professors for organizing it!

By Joel P

Jun 23, 2016

Explanations were thorough, and the problem sets helped me gain a better understanding of the concepts with challenging but doable problem sets.

By Himanshu S

Jul 24, 2019

Best course for learning basic algorithms and understanding the working of algorithms.

thank you coursera for providing great courses like this.

By Abhishek k

Aug 30, 2019

If you want to learn algorithm then go for it. Really amazing course by coursera. This course is really to grows your skills in the algorithm.