Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

176 - 200 of 1,882 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Balavinayak R

Apr 13, 2020

Excellent course! The course gives a rigorous coverage of tools and methods like Greedy algorithms, divide & conquer and dynamic programming. The programming assignments seem to have been meticulously designed by the instructors and one will come out of the course as a much better programmer if he/she works on these problems diligently.

By Abhishek R S

Aug 21, 2020

I thank coursera . great tutors and the doubt solvers who consistently helped me with lectures and discussion forums and also for helping me enhancing my skills specially on recursion and dynamic programming.

I strongly recommend everyone to take this course who is thinking to dive in the pool of data-structures and algorithms.

By Marcello M

Jun 11, 2020

I teach CS in High School. I have a degree in Maths, so I never had formal, deep teaching in Algorithms - did it all by myself. In this course I learned a lot of things that I did not know, and some I never imagined they existed! I intend to reause some materials with my pupils next year! Thank you very much.

By Muhammad Y

Mar 29, 2020

This Course contains challenging assignments to solve, that makes the concept is more clear to understand, but I do not like when instructors are explaining the algorithm on pseudo-code only, if there is virtualization for how the algorithm works, this will make the concept is easy to understand and apply.

By Prince S M

Jun 27, 2020

It was a really amazing experience of learning on coursera. I'll surely suggest my friends to learn from this platform.

I have learned various approaches to solve a programming problem such as greedy, divide and conquer, dynamic programming and their time and space complexity as well and stress testing.

By Aditya A S

Aug 29, 2020

Exceptional course. The approach to problems are smooth, the algorithms having arrays are for some reason indexed from 1 and not 0, as if it matters, but it did somehow successfully troubled me xp. But overall all the algorithms are small, and complex enough to stress your nights.

-AdiTOSH007/YouTube

By Aviral A

Jun 10, 2020

Very well structured course, with great assignments. The teaching staff if very helpful and active on the forums. Just one feedback, I would appreciate if at the end of each week there were links to some practice problems (on any platform or website) to further strengthen and develop the concepts.

By Drumil M

Nov 14, 2016

Instructors are perfect. The course is intense and not easy. But the way the concepts are taught is very lucid. One of the best courses on coursera. I am leading my way to the specialization. Again, the instructors are really great. The assignments are the best part of this course. Must take.

By Neil S

Aug 05, 2020

A challenging but rewarding course. Not reccomended for beginners. Be sure to have a confident grasp of control flow statements and programming logic.

As a beginner, some problems took me many hours to solve.

I highly reccomend for people who have never been introduced to Algorithims before.

By Andrew T

Oct 27, 2017

I really like this course and I have learned many new and interesting things. I think a good improvement may be a little more examples of real life problems which can/should and should not be solved using provided algorithms/methodologies... I plan to continue specialization a little later.

By Vivek S

Mar 16, 2020

This course is one of the best course to learn and understand the algorithms and why they are important to understand. The instructors were great and their way of teaching was just perfect. Plus the assignments were very interesting and gave very insightful knowledge on various algorithms.

By Akshay N

Dec 15, 2019

Excellent course. Good introduction to algorithms with minimal theory and strong focus on implementation. The problems are not trivial, require loads of time and they will really test your understanding of the material which is covered well in some places and not so well in other places.

By Muhammad A

Aug 19, 2020

A balance between coding and math, this course introduces me to concept such as recursion, greedy algorithm, divide and conquer, and dynamic programming. I am an Aerospace student but I am benefited by taking this course because it helps me make more optimal computation scheme for CFD.

By Samyak J

Jul 27, 2019

Highly recommended for everyone from starters to advance coders. Focuses on the core concepts of solving a problem and provides the general solution. End of week assignments proves to be very useful and only after one understand the concepts and crack the problems, can he move forward.

By happypuppy

Sep 14, 2017

Lectures are very clear, well organized. Mini quiz questions were designed extremely well. They actually make you think about what you were just presented, rather than just asking you to spit back out what you heard. Programming assignments are great too for same reason. Awesome class!

By BANOTHU R

Aug 18, 2020

The Assignment questions are tough and little bit easy and at the same time really interesting. I just enjoyed doing all the six week assignments. I hope the concepts I learned may help me for my future. Thank you so much Coursera for your efforts to make us to learn new concepts .

By Vibhanshu G

Jul 26, 2020

It's definitely a great course for people just starting their journey in algorithms field. I thoroughly enjoyed every problem and working my way through them gave me insights on how to approach a problem and test the algorithms.

Instructors' guidance were greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

By Yash S N

Oct 31, 2019

This was an excellent course with excellent mentors. Since I am and Electronics Engineering grad, I thought it would be very difficult, but indeed it is not. I have been to other courses in Coursera on Algorithms and so far, this according to me is the best one ever. Thanks UCSD.

By Tianhui N

May 13, 2020

I really learned something useful from the class, and I think the assignments of every week are very classic. But the video time is too short for some hard algorithms, I need to spend more time to find and read more specific information from books and websites about the class.

By Fatvvs F

Jun 15, 2020

Very good course! The metrial is very good, especially topic Divide and Conquer! The tasks quite chenlenging but they are awesome! The only problem I forgot some materials after I completed this course, so I think the course should have more quizzes to consolidate learning.

By Sajal J

Sep 08, 2020

Excellent course. This course teaches the basics of competitive coding like greedy algorithms, divide and conquer, and dynamic programming very well. The choice of problems to teach the concepts is excellent. Programming assignments give an excellent learning experience.

By Harin M

May 22, 2020

This course has definitely strengthen my problem skills. It has taught me to be persistent and patient. Instructors in this course have done a commendable job. Things that I loved most about this course are gradle external tools and the quality of assignment questions.

By Imaani E

Jan 22, 2017

Great course - the problem sets were challenging and appropriate for the learning goals. For participants who have not been exposed to significant mathematical coursework, the mathematical notation may be intimidating at first, but is not an insurmountable obstacle.

By Daniel

Nov 04, 2017

This is a very good course. It is very difficult at first so I had to do it twice to complete it. It helps if you try to visualise the algorithms in your head, do them on paper and then try to write the pseudo code so it prints out all the steps that is being done.

By Matthew S

Apr 12, 2020

Excellent course. Very good instruction and pace. It really made me work hard on some of the assignments and grasp the material being presented.

Good course for those who have been out of school a while and want to relearn what they might have forgot from college.