Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

BD
Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

SG
Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

2151 - 2173 of 2,173 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Salman R k

Apr 11, 2020

The course is not very specific for my subjects .

By Bharath K

May 22, 2020

I genuinly couldn't follow it,Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By S T

Aug 13, 2020

it's very hard

By Vin T

Jun 29, 2020

I have just finished inspecting the first course, algorithm toolbox, to get a taste of the whole specialization and to compare other offerings in this e-platform.

I understand this is a difficult topic to teach but this is exactly the whole point of teaching ! Making complex topics simple to learn and digest.

This is my critique of the course in simple terms:

a) Quality of presentation slides; poor

b) Foreign english accent makes it difficult to follow

c) Disconnect between topics, I felt the three main techniques covered in the material were disjointed somehow. E.g. dynamic programming has serious gaps and the whole lessons felt like a big black box that you need to fill up with external resources (youtube, khan academy, google search)

d) mathematical background and terminology / jargon used overly bloated.

By Naman S

Aug 23, 2020

Has there been 0 star option I would definitely give it so. Of many courses which I have completed on platforms like cousera, udemy, edx etc. this one is worst of all. It not anything but wasted my time. I regret enrolling this course. Even after watching videos 2-3 times I often have to watch other videos from youtube. The way of explaining by teachers is not fascinatig. In a nutshell if you are reading this comment please do not waste your time in this course. Rather watch youtube videos or learn from other platform.

By Farshid M

Aug 11, 2019

Great material, review- but course setup is not efficient. programming assignments are failed with zero useful feedback, so debugging is unnecessarily too time consuming. In practice error messages are more informative. I am all for encouraging independence and not hand holding, but when the grader says "failed test 7/16, unknown signal 11", Just telling students to "test your code more" is not a good use of their time nor an efficient and effective way of teaching.

By Linh N

Aug 18, 2019

The explanations for examples were hard to understand. Sometimes, there was no clue for your bug to fix and you had to dig up tons of external resources to pass the assignments without any help from mentors, and that made the price of this course ridiculously high.

By Sergey

Nov 25, 2020

Very poor instruction explanation. Very BAD support. Literally, respond to my simple question about Tasks in 2-3 weeks after I create the topic. I did finish this course only because I spend money and dedicate myself to finish it. Will never come back again.

By Aryan R

Aug 20, 2019

I thought this course would be better, since I saw many awesome things in it. But to me, and I've seen for so many other, it gets really tough as the weeks go by. I want to learn, but this simply isn't being helpful to me OR making me learn something.

By Jamie N

Nov 16, 2020

This is really bad, they offer the solution without explaining the problem really. I stopped after the first week because I thought they'd teach you about it, not offer completed solutions where you don't learn anything

By Manasa B

Sep 1, 2019

pseudo codes are only written, not explained. Even the lemmas were quite difficult to understand from the video. Assignments are great, but concepts could not be cleared.

By Amr A F

This is the worst course i have ever participated in

when i upload the code you get failed case without knowing the error even though the code works perfectly

By Suryansh J

Dec 7, 2019

The grading method is not user-friendly at all. I spent more time figuring out how to submit my assignment rather than working on my assignment.

Not happy

By BALAJI M

May 2, 2020

Presentation slides are poor. if sometimes presentation are too complex on that time we better to use whiteboard.

By Ankit G

Aug 24, 2020

Too confusing, No Proper Explanation. I didn't no gain anything from this course. Worst course.

By Rob M

Jul 18, 2020

I want to drop this course but I cannot navigate Coursera to do so.

By Khaled M A

Feb 28, 2020

i learn everything from youtube not from your course !!!!

By Anuj B

Mar 28, 2021

the codes aren't getting submitted

By DELICIA F