Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

This online course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

BD
Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

SG
Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

2151 - 2175 of 2,330 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Omar M

Aug 17, 2021

I​ didn't like this course much, being honest it was very useful in the very first 3 weeks and helped me to get a strong foundation in Algorithmic Toolbox, however the teachers aren't giving much details in the last few weeks, explanation is almost reciting a concept without a real expanation.. Nevertheless, I do like the assignments much they pushed me to get knowledge from various external sources and guided me to get to where I want

By Alex

Sep 19, 2016

Overall is good course with many exercises, forum is supportive, however mentors/instructors never answered my questions (i guessed they bothered only with the very first session when course was launched) Language is sometimes overly complicated and hard to grasp the main principles of the algorithm (e.g. dynamic programming week 5) I watched youtube to understand same ideas but explained in much simpler way.

By Siddhant P

Apr 18, 2020

Material is good... But a bit explanation lacks while teaching by the instructors... It would have been better if more elaboration was provided... It seems that in some of the videos the instructor was just reading from the slides and not by their knowledge. I wont be recommending it if you have already a prior knowledge of the topics.

1/5 to instructors

4/5 to material

4/5 to assignments

3/5 to references

By Anurag G

Dec 20, 2020

Explanation on the video is too complex, and literlly no help on the forum by the Faculty. Many threads are answered after 4 - 6 months. Even on those the reply most of the time is do the stress test.

I strongly feel this course targets only those who have an excellent programming skills, with begainner to moderate level skills, one will struggle and letterally will not get any help whats so ever.

By Anirudh K

Oct 5, 2019

The learning curve becomes very steep towards the end of the course. Also sometimes it's difficult to understand what the instructor is speaking and the transcripts aren't very good. The assignments need to have some more problems in the easier category as it's only by doing many problems one gets hold of a concept. Although the difficult problems help , but they tend to be more demotivating

By Dennis L

Jan 17, 2018

The course is good overall but I worry that for the non technically oriented the examples are very terse and could use more visual linking and vocal guidance on what the variables in the examples actually are, and the thinking behind the code presented. There are also a ton of implementation based gotchas depending on the language that a green developer is likely to get hung up on.

By kushagra

Apr 15, 2021

the course material is incredibly hard to understand at places , as a beginner i found it very strenous to catch up and understand the solutions and thus had to extensivly rely on youtube tutorials of theory and problem statements and spent days upon days debugging programs with wrong logics. but in the end it was an incredible experience and i'm glad i pursued this course

By Mohamed R

Sep 21, 2020

the assignments are very good. Every assignment has different levels. these assignments are the best thing in this course and they are the main reason that i continue this course.

the explanation in this course isn't good enough. i open other sources in most of the topics to understand the course. the course explanation isn't enough to understand the course.

By Ashish K S

Jun 14, 2020

Week 5 and week 6 videos and tutorials were not clear enough for anyone who was getting into dynamic programming first time. It was not properly organised and the videos were barely of any help. Other than that rest of the course was good and helpful. I would have given it 4 stars if it weren't for the last 2 weeks.

By Safin H

Aug 14, 2019

The programming assignments are top-notch. Really tests your algorithmic skills. That being said, I didn't find the instructors explaining the algorithms clearly. They were vague in that aspect. They would just tell what is in the slide and would not make efforts to clarify the tedious parts of the algorithm

By Mohamed A A E

Aug 6, 2017

The content is very good. But I don't understand the material well in weeks 4 and 5. Maybe you need to emphasize a bit on it, and put a little bit extra effort in the slides to make the algorithms more intuitive and more understandable. Also, maybe split the idea behind an algorithm into more than one video.

By Alex

Aug 25, 2020

Content is good, but could probably make it more fun to learn instead of just run through the theorem and pseudo code. The tone of the narrative is always the same like I am listening to someone with no emotion, and it sometimes makes me sleepy. Now I occasionally play the videos just to fall asleep faster.

By Raymond Z

Aug 3, 2020

While the content is fine and the assignments do help with learning algorithms, I feel that the teaching material is quite lacking and dry at times - to the point where discussions and some external hints go a long way in guiding the learner to truly understanding the assignments and underlying concepts.

By TASNIMUL B M

Jun 18, 2020

I rate this course 3-star because the good aspects er that the instructors explained the problems very clearly but the assignments were pretty tough but I kept failing and it showed me I failed the test cases, but the did not define what are my problems and for that this was very frustrating for me.

By sangil Y

Dec 7, 2018

I like the fact that we get to solve many problems on our own every week but in all the lectures, instructors explain things only vocally and it's also very fast paced. It was really difficult to follow compared with lectures where instructors write on the white board while they are explaining.

By Vivek A

Oct 3, 2016

I had already done "Algorithms: Design and Analysis Part 1", so this course was not as good as that one.

This course had lot of programming questions, which I find very good to have for any course. I just hope next courses of the specialization will be beneficial for my career.

By Dravid h M

Apr 23, 2020

From a beginner's point of view , course explanation on concepts are good, but their explanation on programming is very confusing and not clear .This is a good course to understand the concepts on a beginner level , but doesn't give you a clear idea on a deeper level.

By DHANUSH R

there is no reply after i asked a question in the forum.

the instructors in the videos could have made the explanation a bit simpler and more graphical representation for the algorithm could have been used. it would really help lot of people understand better e.g- me

By Christopher B

Dec 28, 2020

Well done course with great professors. My only major complaint is in the way grading is done. I learn best by trial and error and having no feedback beyond "wrong answer" is terribly frustrating when trying to understand where my knowledge is lacking in my code.

By Akash J

Jun 6, 2017

This is a good course and I really want to thank the instructors for taking the time to create this wonderful course. However as a beginner, I want the week 5 ( Dynamic Programming ) really tough to follow and wish if there could be more resources for Week 5.

By Marwan Y

Aug 29, 2019

a lot of stuff was vague, the videos not enough but the assignment is good and the grading system is average since it leaves you in the middle in the desert and does not tell you where your code breaks like input and expected output to debug with

By Juan S V C

Oct 20, 2020

It's a really good course, and I really appreciate the effort of every single teacher. I really liked, just think they should really explain some algorithms in a more pedagogical way. I struggled with many algorithms, to really understand them.

By Ibrahem A M A

Dec 9, 2016

This course covers important aspects of techniques used to solve popular problems. But it misses to cover introductory points in some modules (i.e: dynamic programming module) as well as the accent of some instructors isn't clear enough.

By Sreyes S

Apr 15, 2020

Dynamic Programming modules were not explained with clarity. I understood the DP Tables for some of the questions only after looking at external sources. However, the rest of the topics were fairly well explained.

By Jonathan Z

Jul 15, 2018

Matière intéressante mais trop peu détaillée. Énorme manque d'informations et de notions nécessaire pour la réalisation des exercice. Explications parfois confuses, voire déroutantes. Beaucoup de frustration....