Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM
May 31, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

RP
Jun 10, 2017

Incredible learning experience. Every programmer in industry should take this course if only to dispel the idea that with the advent of cloud computing exponential algorithms can still ruin your day!

151 - 175 of 1,613 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Harikrishna K

Mar 4, 2017

I really like this course. It is a good recap of algorithms which I learned in my masters. Reasons for going to further approach and examples are given good. I feel if more real time examples are provided it will be good for students to understand where they can apply these algorithms or they can implement their own algorithms.

By Sarah E H M

Oct 25, 2016

Super course! I love all the assignments. and the upload-and-feedback system. The lectures are also very good. I did not use the interview questions.

Getting the course done in time and working full time simultaneously is very hard, though, but I don't really have any programming experience with me, so that might make it harder.

By Sebastian R

Apr 26, 2020

A great course.

I refreshed my knowledge of data structures and learned lot of things about Java, language that before this course I never ever use. However there is a little negative note, I would have preferred that inside the project file will be test files. For reach full test correcteness i did every time a treasure hunt.

By Arash O

Jan 12, 2017

Probably one of the best courses on this whole website. The prof and accompanying textbook and website are clear and fairly concise. The assignments are challenging but fair and the autograder works really well so you get instant feedback.

Probably the only con is having to setup up Java on your computer which can be a pain,

By Ritesh G

Dec 24, 2017

this is the best course in terms of algorithm and data structure point of view. i am totally satisfy from this course. it makes my thinking more broad and certain so i'm able to coreleate programming world to the real world problems. in my opinion it is best course for a person who possess some knowledge about programming.

By Zhenchao N

Jan 26, 2017

Strongly recommended!

This course clearly introduces the basic algorithms and data structures to the students. The professor not only explains the concept of the algorithms but also shows us the applications of them. The homework of this course is substantial and deep. It is really worthwhile to spend time on the homework.

By Krishnan S

Jan 29, 2019

Very good explanation with programming assignments that are of "appropriate" difficulty - not too difficult but definitely make you think. The instructors and the mentors have done an AWESOME job with the automatic evaluation the submitted code to provide detailed feedback. Loved it and will sign up for Part II now!

By Ben Z

Nov 9, 2017

Rigorous but worth it. Take this course if you want in-depth explanations of many classic fundamental data structures and algorithms. The assignments take many hours a piece and require a sound knowledge of Java, but they will help you understand applications of the fundamental data structures covered in the course.

By Thanapon S

Jul 21, 2019

Great topics covered! They are all clear and straightforward. This course makes topics that have been obscured to me during college wayyy easier to understand. Professor Sedgewick's lectures make topics like Red Black Tree a piece of cake. I highly recommend this course. It is well worth every minute spent.

By Leo S

May 19, 2017

I really enjoyed participating in this course. Assignments may be sometimes tough, sometimes mindbending but they surely doable. Indeed I had a great time writing and debugging these programs.

Big thanks to Bob Sedgewick for great lectures! I think I gonna buy Algorimths book to express my gratitude to authors!

By Arshad

Apr 16, 2017

Best Course that one can take to sharpen his skills. Very thanks to Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne for coming up with this course. Before taking this course I used to think I have reached an end to my goal of learning Computer Science but now I feel the boat I was sailing was taking me in the wrong direction.

By Harshul G

Jul 21, 2020

I love the way the course content builds up. There is a very intuitive flow to the each week's content. We start with a very basic data structure and the problem we are trying to solve. Then we point out short comings of this data structure. Then we iterate on it to improve. Its really easy to follow this way.

By stonezhou

Mar 15, 2017

I like this course, the slide and reference book are excellent, and the program exercise let me use the algorithms to solve the interesting problems, let me understand the algorithms more deeply, let me make more efficient code and take care of my code style and the memory usage. Wow, so wonderful, thank you!

By Sergei P

Aug 30, 2020

Course content is awesome! All assignments are quite challenging, but with great supporting materials this is very interesting to do them. As a suggestion the grader output could be more readable in bigger window and with multicolored text, by now it has tiny window and looking at grader output is cumbersome.

By Felix K

Jul 5, 2019

The exercises are very well prepared and documented. The lectures are also great and prepare the student well for the exercise. I'm sure the book would have helped but I was able to complete all exercises with only the material provided in this course. There are also a lot of practise questions on each topic.

By Egor Z

Jul 7, 2019

Nice course. I believe all software engineers must go through this course. Because it's fundamental knowledge which helps to understand more complex data structure and algorithm. And also it helps not only to use data structures and algorithm effectively and to compose your own data structures and algorithm.

By wang w

Apr 19, 2017

Very good. The TFs are nice too. Nevertheless for a non-CS student like me keeping up with the course is really tough, especially provided that I have never learnt java language before, and that I conducted all debugging without any debugger(I don't know how to use DrJava). In all the course is worth taking.

By Sachindra N

Jun 28, 2020

Very nice explanations for some of the things I have been using as a software engineer for very long. Every programmer should take this course. The explanation of A*Search and KD Trees alongwith programming exercises were really interesting and have now made me more interested in computer vision problems.

By Christopher M

Feb 12, 2018

Fantastic course in data structures and algorithms, great introduction for those who haven't taken CS at university. Also leans towards the mathematical side versus pure programming while utilising some good programming exercises, so an interesting course from that angle too. Looking forward to Part II!

By Maximilian V

Aug 11, 2020

An absolutely phenomenal course! The instructor is great, the PPT are really good and the assignments are a good and fun challenge. Even though not necessary I would recommend getting the Algorithms 4 book as well. Overall, the course couldn't be any better, by far the best Coursera experience I had.

By Jacob F

Apr 23, 2017

I started coding with Javascript and Python...and I struggled with this course, having not mastered Java. But the resources were perfect and now I have a large cache of projects and information to draw upon as I progress with Java and more academic/algorithmic problems in my software engineer career.

By Ivan M

Sep 12, 2020

Good algorithms are better than supercomputers. This course is essential not only because it teaches you some hints that might be extremely useful, but also since it makes you change your mind about your priorities while creating something new to mankind. And it makes you think & explore your brain!

By Gleb L

May 28, 2018

Great explanation of theoretical part. Challenging and rewarding practical assignments. I wish the quizzes with interview questions would contain the solution or more in-depth explanation of approach to problem solving. Overall - amazing course, going to take some break and enroll the second part.

By Ravi T U

May 21, 2018

The concepts that are covered in this part of the course are very fundamental and cannot afford to be misunderstood by anyone. The professor has taught them in details. Thanks to the professor for the assignments (which are applications of the concepts in the real world). I learnt a lot from them.

By Jesus I C O

Mar 26, 2017

Es un curso muy excelente, actualmente soy ingeniero en informatica y tenia un cierto tiempo que no aplicaba algoritmos con un nivel de importancia tan basica como los que aplique en el curso, muy agradecido con el conocimiento impartido a lo largo de este tiempo y encantado de realizar la parte 2