Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM
May 31, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

BJ
Jun 2, 2018

Good contents and the logic of the whole course structure is very clear for a novice like me. The weekly homework is also awesome. Would recommend to anyone who wants to learn about computer science.

201 - 225 of 1,746 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Ahmad A

Feb 27, 2018

With the right mindset, this can be one of the best MOOCs available. I didn't start benefitting from the course until I started watching the lectures with a pen and notebook in hand, taking notes, drawing trees, hand writing code and making absolutely sure that I understand every word being said.

By Vicente A

May 23, 2018

Amazing MOOC. I followed both the video lectures and the book as I went on, and I really feel that my understanding on Algorithms and Data Structures has grown greatly in the past month and a half. The programming assignments are really tough, but very rewarding. I can't wait to begin Part II.

By Mike L

Sep 10, 2020

overall an excellent course with well designed programming assignments. I'm not a CS major so the topics are really helpful in my coding projects. I also felt the assignments were quite challenging at times especially if one were to undertake the optional exercises in the assignment sets.

By Mikaelian V

Mar 19, 2019

Outstanding course. Thank you very much. Gives opportunity to optimise current working stuff , very good overview of existing algorithms and data structures and their applications. Also it's very interesting to solve hard tasks and always thinking how do better. I'm going to next course.

By WAN , Y

Jul 3, 2018

This course is great! The lecture slides and the code from the course are well-organized and clean. The auto-grading is powerful because it not only checks the correctness or performance of the code, it also detects the improper coding ways. I've learned a lot of things from the course.

By Stephen H

Feb 5, 2018

Very helpful course. The free auto-grader is a great advantage of this course, which can give you detailed insights on your homework. The professor is excellent, explaining everything clearly. The homework is full of real applications, helping me to better understanding the algorithms.

By Ken S

Feb 28, 2017

Because I don't know Java (yet) and the homework can only be submitted in Java, I audited this course. Time well spent! Even without working the exercises, the lectures were easy to follow and highly interesting. I picked up several things that will likely help me write better code.

By Paulo M T C

Jun 8, 2020

This course provides good coverage of the topics and lists applications of their use in our everyday lives. The programming tasks are challenging, yet feasible, and they justify the importance of algorithms in problem solving, which largely surpasses the importance of fast processors.

By Xuying S

Dec 5, 2017

This course is a little challenging for me. But the content is very practical and I really learned a lot by accomplishing the assignments. I would highly recommend this course to my classmates and will take part II myself. Thank you very much for your effort to make this course great.

By sybil63

Feb 10, 2018

The PPTs in the course are very delicate especially the animation of the operation of algorithms. In addition, assignments are all interesting and really helped me get familiar with algorithms in practice. And I enjoy the enrichment materials a lot. Thanks to Coursera and Professors.

By Miguel C

Feb 1, 2017

This is a great course and the practical assignments are really cool. But I would like to have more assignments where we have to implement the data structures ourselves, because I thing the best way to learn an algorithms is by going throw the process of implementing and debugging it

By Tomas I

Sep 25, 2016

I've been through several courses over the past year, some really good, some pretty poor, both here and on Edx, but this one has really no match to find. I would recommend this to anyone, and especially to those planning on creating a MOOC, as this one is really a state of the art :)

By Charles C

Jun 29, 2020

This course is very progressive and very interesting.

All the assignments are greatly crafted so you can pass, but reaching the 100% requires a lot of attention to the lecture slides, the specifications and your code of course.

Thank you so much for making it available to the public.

By Akash A

Jan 5, 2018

This course is important for anyone who wants to attain critical thinking. It not only teaches you Algorithms, it helps you develop a systematic thinking.

Instructor is too good, and any amount of praise is less, the dedication and passion in his speech was amazing and one of a kind.

By Keary P

Sep 3, 2017

Great course on essential concepts in computer science that are often overlooked. Algorithms provides comprehensive theory, helpful forums and challenging projects. I especially appreciated the automated grading program that assesses correctness, timing, memory use and coding style.

By Elvis A

Sep 15, 2020

Good course. Excellent explanations and the auto grader is just too good to be true. The problems are challenging and interesting, although I would have loved to see more detailed specifications on the main page (some things you need to look for yourself, it may be a waste of time)

By Jiwen L

Sep 14, 2020

I got lots of improvements while taking this course, better understand the performance of a program, and the importance of an effective algorithm which can drastically optimize the performance of a program, thanks for providing a way of letting us improve ourselves, thanks a lot!!

By Giuliano P

Jul 11, 2020

I'm a self-taught developer who began learn coding skipping basic building blocks of CS like algorithms. I've always felt algorithms (theory and practice) illiteracy as a personal defect. I learned a lot from this course and I still have a lot to learn. Thrilled to begin Part 2.

By Raj P

Jul 21, 2017

This course taught me how different data structure and algorithms affect real world problems.

Instructor is good and in lecture slides and demo of working algorithm helped a lot to understand it clearly.

I recommend to take this course to anyone who is at intermediate skill level.

By SYED J H

Jul 24, 2020

Superb Course. The course content, assignments, interview questions all were beyond my expectation. Though not an easy course, but I enjoyed all of those challenges. The booksite is also very much resourceful and easy to follow. On the whole, one of my best courses on COURSERA.

By Gevorg M

Very nice course for an introduction into basic algorithms and data structures. It is quite nicely paced and explains the material clearly along with the reasoning why what they teach is important. Interview questions are sometimes very interesting, highly recommend doing them.

By Lucas K

May 12, 2020

Very well laid out and explained. The teacher has a great caidence (except for the occasional cough ;) ) that walks you through things in a straight forward manner. Would recommend to anyone with basic programming knowledge and hunger to learn about algo's and data structures.

By Ceriel M

Apr 29, 2018

Course is well organized, good grading program. Lots of very interesting information. I have learned a lot. I deduct half a star for the forum; it does not really work, although I found 1 very good tip there (so that earns half a star). Thank you for providing this course!

By Guilherme Z

Jun 3, 2017

This is a very nice course that really tested my understanding of the topic. I wish that the quizzes from previous sessions of this course were still alive in this version of the course. Well done, and I hope that anybody interested in learning algorithms take this course.

By Anh V T

Jan 26, 2021

The assignments are very interesting, but a bit hard to understand at first. I think they are similar to real world application. I learnt a few more things beside code performance: code style, memory, check and separate input data before processing etc.. Highly recommend~