Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM

Jun 01, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

BJ

Jun 03, 2018

Good contents and the logic of the whole course structure is very clear for a novice like me. The weekly homework is also awesome. Would recommend to anyone who wants to learn about computer science.

101 - 125 of 1,556 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By chenxc

Jul 28, 2017

Recommend print the ppt then listen to the lecture cuz that would save your time. These homework impresses me deeply, and I did spend a lot of time completing them. Fortunately, I got a not-bad accomplishment at this class. I think everyone would like to have a solid foundation on algorithm as long as s/he study hard in this class. Thanks a lot for providing such a great open class! I love you professors! I love princeton!

By Rohit P

Apr 09, 2017

I took this course to refresh my Data Structures and Algorithms knowledge in order to prepare for technical interviews, and I'm glad I did. The lectures are great and the programming assignments are very well designed and have sufficient guidance. You really have to work on them. I would have liked more graded MCQs after lectures. This is also the first MOOC I've completed, and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment!

By Vadim P

May 16, 2020

Very interesting, I finally started to study seriously and learnt a lot, by using the correct Data Structures (and also learning them), learning sorts, I enjoyed a lot, and found very interesting exercises, I learnt the definition of Binary Heap, how better implement the Priority Queue Data Structure, Binary trees, and very fascinating the way Red Black Tree is implemented, and the technique used to maintain it balanced

By Kat

Oct 18, 2016

The grading system is very helpful for debugging

A little suggestion, personally i would not go to the forum unless i meet problems, but actually i find i may missed some great thinking for ignoring it. It would be better if there is a subscription feature like what's trending on the Forum to reminder learners to participate in the discussion.

And i like the every week's interview question, thank you for all your effort!

By Itsik S

Mar 28, 2018

A very interesting course, very well taught. The course is carried out in a very methodological way, builds the knowledge gradually step by step. The course is suitable both for those who know the material and want to refresh their knowledge and for those who learn this for the first time.

Finally, I would like to say that it was a privilege as much as it was enjoyable to learn from the great Prof. Robert Sedgewick !

By seshu c

Oct 27, 2019

One of the best course, I have taken so far. Learned a lot and its good to learn from computer scientists who can explain the trade offs between different data structures. To be frank, i am a newbie and i don't even have a good understanding of data structures when i started this course. But now, i know how the data structures work and how to use them them effectively.Except that the assignments are a bit tuff!!

By Henrique G

Jan 16, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. The material and videos were carefully made and very informative. The assignments were made that you can properly use the content learned from the lessons. The mentor/instructors are very knowledgeable. It goes without saying the instructors are reference in the Algorithms field.

It is worth saying the assignments may require you to research extra resources, e.g. Algorithms 4th book.

By Luoqi W

Dec 25, 2017

This course is extremely well-organized and covers the foundational algorithmic concepts in a meticulous fashion. Dr. Sedgewick makes these concepts accessible and easy to grasp. The fact that every concept covered is not just discussed on paper but realized in Java code also adds invaluable practical significance. Needless to say, this should be the course that every aspiring computer scientist should take.

By Mohamed E

Aug 06, 2020

A good introduction and review of fundamental concepts in algorithms and data structures. It makes sure that you get the hang of the data structures by making you implement these data structures/use variants of these data structures to solve implement specific applications in assignments. Of course, sometimes details arent explained deeply, but I quite enjoyed the course and would definitely recommend it.

By Teng B

May 09, 2019

The Most Remarkable Course I have met in Coursera. This course not only taught Algorithm & Data Structure but also fundamental things about Java Language. The instructor is well prepared and states concepts very clear with plenty of examples to help us understand. The assignments with well designed grader are a huge plus to this course. I rate this course as 5-star for this is the highest rate I can give.

By Manish J

Mar 31, 2018

Many thanks to Prof. Sedgewick and Mr. Wayne for this great work for education. This course and this book, the material is just awesome. It really appreciate this work sir ! This course has helped me a lot. The resources your book site has is like a complete teacher for me. The assignments in this course are challenging and improve the skillset a lot!

Finally a load of thanks for such a wonderful course !

By Erik Z

Nov 07, 2017

This was actually a very nice course. I found professor Sedgewick to be a very engaging lecturer, and his patient explanations along with excellent lecture notes helped me, more than a single book could have done, to thoroughly understand all algorithms that were discussed in this course. The assignments were sometimes challenging, but they were always doable. I cannot recommend this course highly enough.

By Haotian Z

Nov 14, 2016

Very solid course. Well explained and informative content and straightforward algorithm illustrations. It not only explains and analyzes mechanism of algorithms, but also offers a set of very practical Java implementations. The weekly programming assignment is awesome. They are well-designed and closely related to real-world application. This is a extraordinary course and I enthusiastically recommend it.

By Anthony T

Jun 30, 2020

I really enjoyed the programming assignments! I think it was cool that all of them had some sort of visualization component. It helped when debugging code. The lectures were solid as well. It's been a few years since I took my Algorithms course and this was a great refresher on some of the stuff that I missed. I also got to learn about topics that were not covered in my Algorithms class (e.g. Kd Trees).

By Christian F

Dec 07, 2016

The course gave me excellent insights and it helped me to improve my java skills.

The overall presentation (learning material, videos, assignment) is very professionial and good to understand.

It would be nice to allow a look at how other students solved the assignments. Maybe with an anonymized grading. Or some kind of a master solution to see, how the best solution to an assignnment would look like.

By Imran

Aug 16, 2020

Really awesome course with informative lectures by Prof. Sedgewick. The best part, though are the exercises. The problem sets are really well designed and give you a sense of how CS can be applied in all sorts of domains from geometry to networks. Separately, the optional interview questions are also good. As always, its probably best to work through these problems with someone else to learn best.

By 李阳阳

Apr 26, 2017

As a developer without adequate CS educational background, it's very exciting and of great use to take this course. I've got the "Algorithm in C (Parts 1-4)" by Sedgewick and did some learning, but it's necessary for me to follow details and explanations from slides and video talks. Also the testing of coding assignment has covered several aspects which I have not paid attention in my daily work.

By HuXiang

May 22, 2020

absolutely great course. I switch my major from chemistry to computer science and I will begin my graduate study in 3 months. This course definitely helped me a lot. It helps me familiar with basic java grammar , Java collections, data structure and algorithms. Besides, its programming assignments is wonderful. Great course, highly recommend! And I will begin Part I in several days.

By sunkara t k

May 08, 2018

One of the best course on Algorithms and Data structures. Any one serious about software development will benefit a lot from this course. Planning to complete second part as well. Big Thanks to Instructors and Coursera for providing such a wonderful course. Would have been perfect If completion certificate is provided to showcase that we have participated in such a great course.

By Yi C

Oct 17, 2019

I really appreciated this course. The instructor presentation is very clear. Still the course have a lot of information to digest and I would love to use extra time to review the course and interview questions part. Since I did not get full points of the assignment, I would love to study the assignment again when I have time. Thanks a lot for this course. I really love it.

By Sergey Z

Mar 26, 2017

This course has an excellent structure. You get a real motivation, why you need algorithm, you understand how it works (with mathematical proof if it's not really complicated), its time/memory efficiency, and finally you practice it. Also, you can learn some Java through this course. I really like how Robert Sedgewick explains course material. Thanks for this experience.

By Okuniyi M

May 26, 2019

When I started out, I didn't know what to expect. But now that I've completed the course, I can boldly say I know a great deal about a few algorithms. This course made my first exposure to algorithms and data structures a wonderful. I feel confident going further. The option to reset the deadline ensured that I completed the course on my own. Thank you, for this course

By Lei Z

Oct 05, 2016

I enrolled this course last year and quit at week 3. But I finished it this time and it's the first CS MOOC I finished. It's a really hard but really worthful six-week. It led me into the world of algorithm and helped me improved my English a lot.

Thanks to Sedgewick's gorgeous lectures, Wayne's patient answers at Discuss forum and every fellows participate this course.

By Sam ( C

Oct 02, 2017

Best online course I've seen. Clear, good paced, nice assignments and interview questions, cute little review question after each video. I used to dislike computer science, but this video made me register into a part-time graduate program in CS in an university of my local area. That's when I realized that not every instructor is the same and why I used to dislike CS.

By Michael K

Jul 28, 2017

The course gives a very clear and structured introduction to algorithms. The assignments are are of very good quality, a bit challenging but not too difficult. Furthermore, I found the course quite inspiring because Sedgewick gives a lot of examples and mentions a couple of still open questions where applicable. He also gives a few examples from his own experience.