Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM

Jun 01, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

BJ

Jun 03, 2018

Good contents and the logic of the whole course structure is very clear for a novice like me. The weekly homework is also awesome. Would recommend to anyone who wants to learn about computer science.

126 - 150 of 1,581 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Michael K

Jul 28, 2017

The course gives a very clear and structured introduction to algorithms. The assignments are are of very good quality, a bit challenging but not too difficult. Furthermore, I found the course quite inspiring because Sedgewick gives a lot of examples and mentions a couple of still open questions where applicable. He also gives a few examples from his own experience.

By Terrence L

Aug 02, 2017

Great course for learning algorithms! The lecture combines in-depth analysis of algorithms with straightforward demonstration. The homework is well-designed. Dr. Sedgewick has already written a giant library of algorithms implementation for us. So basically the idea of the homework is to apply the algorithm for practical problems. Overall, 11/10 would recommend!

By Himanshu T

Dec 08, 2019

Greate content, greate assignment, and lectures are very clear.

There are some questions in the interview section, I did not understand, It will be good is you provide answers to those question too.

But overall Greate Greate Greate content, It helps a lot to build my concept and fundamentals on DS and ALGORITHMS.

Hope we will find some more course like this one.

By Francis R

Jul 26, 2020

The course material is great. The assignments are challenging but the forums are super helpful. Since the course is on for a bit of time there are many threads with information to help with assignments. The videos are great. This course certainly helped me get a better understanding of essential algorithms and I can apply this knowledge in my day-to-day work.

By celina l

Jan 31, 2017

Pretty good course for the first time java programmer. It covers most of the basic algorithms required to understand by a computer scientist. Really like the idea of place introduction of iterator and comparator within this class. It really boost my understanding of JAVA programming language. Would like to recommend this course to all my classmate. It helps!

By Chris C

Apr 18, 2018

I work outside of this field. No prior education, interest, foundation. So far so good. Will surely be stumped by parts of this, but along for the ride. I am best educated via imagery at times, especially in discussing concrete subjects. I stopped at calculus I. I didn't do so well.... I tried.... we'll see how this goes. I"m glad this is here.

By Michael G

Nov 09, 2016

This course is an excellent introduction to thinking about algorithms and data structures.

It is challenging, in that the assignments can feel overwhelming, but the discussion forums are an excellent place to ask for any clarification.

The videos are very helpful, consistent, and well-paced, and the instructor is incredibly knowledgeable and articulate.

By Hugh H

May 08, 2018

The course is well designed for student with little background in computer science. The best thing about it is that it combines the theory with implementation and the system model. When I took the course at college, the instructor split them to emphasize the idea of abstraction. However, this usually results in more confusion for students like me.

By Danijel T

Apr 14, 2017

Exceptionally good Lecturer and the course. Booksite, video materials and assignments are amazing. Would recommend this course to everyone! The only improvement i would suggest is the explanation of nearest neighbor search in KD tree. Critical information when to prune the search is not really explained so additional resources should be consulted.

By Pavle A

Aug 12, 2019

I'm very satisfied with the difficulty of the exercises. I expected them to be easy but I actually had to think while doing them (which is great!). The topics are on point, it was fairly easy to understand them. I enjoy listening to Dr. Sedgewick explain stuff I didn't even think are worth considering. Looking forward for Part II of the course!

By Rahul R

May 06, 2020

Excellent course. Professor Sedgewick teach at perfect pace. Level of details in excercises is top notch too. I especially liked the Red-Black BST (left leaning) lesson. After understanding it, it feels like the only intuitive implementation. Very much satisfied with the course overall.

I'm gonna enroll for part 2 now. Let's see how that goes.

By Victor M

Dec 02, 2017

A great introduction to data structures and algorithms. I feel like I have a much better understanding of algorithms, and what goes into their development. Keep in mind, there is a lot of information to take in...try your best to complete the optional exercises, and participate in the discussion boards. You will gain much more by doing this.

By Marcel

Jun 23, 2018

This course contains the best lectures I've ever had about algorithms. Robert Sedgewick makes it really easy to understand the algorithms he is talking about and he doesn't limit the topics to basic entry level.The assignments were challenging but doable. For sure I learned a lot from this course. I would rate it 6 stars if it was possible.

By Mandeep S

Oct 09, 2016

Exceptionally good. I am a working professional with 13+ years of development experience and still found this course to be full of high value and knowledge. I really never looked at these algorithms the way it is represented in this course. I am very thankful to Coursera and Princeton University for making this course available to everyone.

By Prasanna V

Jun 21, 2020

Wow. I can’t believe I completed this course. Assignments were so tough. Wonderful course structure, lectures and handouts. I can’t explain how much I loved challenging assignments. It’s going to straight away impact my day to day work. “You don’t need a super computer, you need an efficient algorithms”. Well said. Excited to start part 2.

By Owen L

May 07, 2017

Very solid course, at a perfect level for students with fundamental Comp-Sci skills who haven't coded in Java for a while and need a refresher on both Java and basic data structures and algorithms. Videos actually contribute to learning and assignments are challenging but not overly difficult and there's a lot of support online.

Thank you!

By Sapozhnikov K

Jan 26, 2018

I want to say thanks to creators of this course. Explanations very clear, awesome presentations and demos. Also I want to highlight assignments and amazing auto-grader, which with extreme accuracy examine your solution. This is awesome course and I'm really happy that I finished it. It was not easy, but very useful. See you in Part 2 :)

By Mahendra J

Jun 02, 2020

Honestly this course requires a lot of concentrated efforts and is surely a brain twister.

I learned quiet a lot in terms of applications of DS and algorithms to real world problems.

Thank you to Coursera, faculty members and supporting staff for bringing in such a in-depth course free of cost to the interested students.

Best Regards

By Matthias A

Jul 17, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course! The lecture videos and slides are great in explaining the fundamentals, while the assignments are challenging and rewarding (Also, thanks for all those helpful pointers in the assignment checklists). I especially liked the practical examples, and "enrichment" sections. Looking forward to Part II

By Paolo L

Oct 10, 2017

Well explained and very interesting (also because of all the examples of applications done in the course that can make you think not only of "how" but also of "why" algorithms are developed).

Assignment are very helpful in learning how a data structure or an algorithm behave the hard way!

I surely recommend this to my colleagues!

By Harikrishna K

Mar 04, 2017

I really like this course. It is a good recap of algorithms which I learned in my masters. Reasons for going to further approach and examples are given good. I feel if more real time examples are provided it will be good for students to understand where they can apply these algorithms or they can implement their own algorithms.

By Sarah E H M

Oct 25, 2016

Super course! I love all the assignments. and the upload-and-feedback system. The lectures are also very good. I did not use the interview questions.

Getting the course done in time and working full time simultaneously is very hard, though, but I don't really have any programming experience with me, so that might make it harder.

By Sebastian R

Apr 26, 2020

A great course.

I refreshed my knowledge of data structures and learned lot of things about Java, language that before this course I never ever use. However there is a little negative note, I would have preferred that inside the project file will be test files. For reach full test correcteness i did every time a treasure hunt.

By Arash O

Jan 13, 2017

Probably one of the best courses on this whole website. The prof and accompanying textbook and website are clear and fairly concise. The assignments are challenging but fair and the autograder works really well so you get instant feedback.

Probably the only con is having to setup up Java on your computer which can be a pain,

By Ritesh G

Dec 24, 2017

this is the best course in terms of algorithm and data structure point of view. i am totally satisfy from this course. it makes my thinking more broad and certain so i'm able to coreleate programming world to the real world problems. in my opinion it is best course for a person who possess some knowledge about programming.