Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM
May 31, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

RP
Jun 10, 2017

Incredible learning experience. Every programmer in industry should take this course if only to dispel the idea that with the advent of cloud computing exponential algorithms can still ruin your day!

176 - 200 of 1,651 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By wang w

Apr 19, 2017

Very good. The TFs are nice too. Nevertheless for a non-CS student like me keeping up with the course is really tough, especially provided that I have never learnt java language before, and that I conducted all debugging without any debugger(I don't know how to use DrJava). In all the course is worth taking.

By Sachindra N

Jun 28, 2020

Very nice explanations for some of the things I have been using as a software engineer for very long. Every programmer should take this course. The explanation of A*Search and KD Trees alongwith programming exercises were really interesting and have now made me more interested in computer vision problems.

By Christopher M

Feb 12, 2018

Fantastic course in data structures and algorithms, great introduction for those who haven't taken CS at university. Also leans towards the mathematical side versus pure programming while utilising some good programming exercises, so an interesting course from that angle too. Looking forward to Part II!

By Maximilian V

Aug 11, 2020

An absolutely phenomenal course! The instructor is great, the PPT are really good and the assignments are a good and fun challenge. Even though not necessary I would recommend getting the Algorithms 4 book as well. Overall, the course couldn't be any better, by far the best Coursera experience I had.

By Jacob F

Apr 23, 2017

I started coding with Javascript and Python...and I struggled with this course, having not mastered Java. But the resources were perfect and now I have a large cache of projects and information to draw upon as I progress with Java and more academic/algorithmic problems in my software engineer career.

By Ivan M

Sep 12, 2020

Good algorithms are better than supercomputers. This course is essential not only because it teaches you some hints that might be extremely useful, but also since it makes you change your mind about your priorities while creating something new to mankind. And it makes you think & explore your brain!

By Gleb L

May 28, 2018

Great explanation of theoretical part. Challenging and rewarding practical assignments. I wish the quizzes with interview questions would contain the solution or more in-depth explanation of approach to problem solving. Overall - amazing course, going to take some break and enroll the second part.

By Ravi T U

May 21, 2018

The concepts that are covered in this part of the course are very fundamental and cannot afford to be misunderstood by anyone. The professor has taught them in details. Thanks to the professor for the assignments (which are applications of the concepts in the real world). I learnt a lot from them.

By Jesus I C O

Mar 26, 2017

Es un curso muy excelente, actualmente soy ingeniero en informatica y tenia un cierto tiempo que no aplicaba algoritmos con un nivel de importancia tan basica como los que aplique en el curso, muy agradecido con el conocimiento impartido a lo largo de este tiempo y encantado de realizar la parte 2

By Ahmad A

Feb 27, 2018

With the right mindset, this can be one of the best MOOCs available. I didn't start benefitting from the course until I started watching the lectures with a pen and notebook in hand, taking notes, drawing trees, hand writing code and making absolutely sure that I understand every word being said.

By Vicente A

May 23, 2018

Amazing MOOC. I followed both the video lectures and the book as I went on, and I really feel that my understanding on Algorithms and Data Structures has grown greatly in the past month and a half. The programming assignments are really tough, but very rewarding. I can't wait to begin Part II.

By Mike L

Sep 10, 2020

overall an excellent course with well designed programming assignments. I'm not a CS major so the topics are really helpful in my coding projects. I also felt the assignments were quite challenging at times especially if one were to undertake the optional exercises in the assignment sets.

By Mikaelian V

Mar 19, 2019

Outstanding course. Thank you very much. Gives opportunity to optimise current working stuff , very good overview of existing algorithms and data structures and their applications. Also it's very interesting to solve hard tasks and always thinking how do better. I'm going to next course.

By WAN , Y

Jul 3, 2018

This course is great! The lecture slides and the code from the course are well-organized and clean. The auto-grading is powerful because it not only checks the correctness or performance of the code, it also detects the improper coding ways. I've learned a lot of things from the course.

By Stephen H

Feb 5, 2018

Very helpful course. The free auto-grader is a great advantage of this course, which can give you detailed insights on your homework. The professor is excellent, explaining everything clearly. The homework is full of real applications, helping me to better understanding the algorithms.

By Ken S

Feb 28, 2017

Because I don't know Java (yet) and the homework can only be submitted in Java, I audited this course. Time well spent! Even without working the exercises, the lectures were easy to follow and highly interesting. I picked up several things that will likely help me write better code.

By Paulo M T C

Jun 8, 2020

This course provides good coverage of the topics and lists applications of their use in our everyday lives. The programming tasks are challenging, yet feasible, and they justify the importance of algorithms in problem solving, which largely surpasses the importance of fast processors.

By Xuying S

Dec 5, 2017

This course is a little challenging for me. But the content is very practical and I really learned a lot by accomplishing the assignments. I would highly recommend this course to my classmates and will take part II myself. Thank you very much for your effort to make this course great.

By sybil63

Feb 10, 2018

The PPTs in the course are very delicate especially the animation of the operation of algorithms. In addition, assignments are all interesting and really helped me get familiar with algorithms in practice. And I enjoy the enrichment materials a lot. Thanks to Coursera and Professors.

By Miguel C

Feb 1, 2017

This is a great course and the practical assignments are really cool. But I would like to have more assignments where we have to implement the data structures ourselves, because I thing the best way to learn an algorithms is by going throw the process of implementing and debugging it

By Tomas I

Sep 25, 2016

I've been through several courses over the past year, some really good, some pretty poor, both here and on Edx, but this one has really no match to find. I would recommend this to anyone, and especially to those planning on creating a MOOC, as this one is really a state of the art :)

By Charles C

Jun 29, 2020

This course is very progressive and very interesting.

All the assignments are greatly crafted so you can pass, but reaching the 100% requires a lot of attention to the lecture slides, the specifications and your code of course.

Thank you so much for making it available to the public.

By Akash A

Jan 5, 2018

This course is important for anyone who wants to attain critical thinking. It not only teaches you Algorithms, it helps you develop a systematic thinking.

Instructor is too good, and any amount of praise is less, the dedication and passion in his speech was amazing and one of a kind.

By Keary P

Sep 3, 2017

Great course on essential concepts in computer science that are often overlooked. Algorithms provides comprehensive theory, helpful forums and challenging projects. I especially appreciated the automated grading program that assesses correctness, timing, memory use and coding style.

By Elvis A

Sep 15, 2020

Good course. Excellent explanations and the auto grader is just too good to be true. The problems are challenging and interesting, although I would have loved to see more detailed specifications on the main page (some things you need to look for yourself, it may be a waste of time)