Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM

Jun 01, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

BJ

Jun 03, 2018

Good contents and the logic of the whole course structure is very clear for a novice like me. The weekly homework is also awesome. Would recommend to anyone who wants to learn about computer science.

176 - 200 of 1,485 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Akash A

Jan 05, 2018

This course is important for anyone who wants to attain critical thinking. It not only teaches you Algorithms, it helps you develop a systematic thinking.

Instructor is too good, and any amount of praise is less, the dedication and passion in his speech was amazing and one of a kind.

By Keary P

Sep 03, 2017

Great course on essential concepts in computer science that are often overlooked. Algorithms provides comprehensive theory, helpful forums and challenging projects. I especially appreciated the automated grading program that assesses correctness, timing, memory use and coding style.

By Giuliano P

Jul 11, 2020

I'm a self-taught developer who began learn coding skipping basic building blocks of CS like algorithms. I've always felt algorithms (theory and practice) illiteracy as a personal defect. I learned a lot from this course and I still have a lot to learn. Thrilled to begin Part 2.

By Raj P

Jul 21, 2017

This course taught me how different data structure and algorithms affect real world problems.

Instructor is good and in lecture slides and demo of working algorithm helped a lot to understand it clearly.

I recommend to take this course to anyone who is at intermediate skill level.

By SYED J H

Jul 24, 2020

Superb Course. The course content, assignments, interview questions all were beyond my expectation. Though not an easy course, but I enjoyed all of those challenges. The booksite is also very much resourceful and easy to follow. On the whole, one of my best courses on COURSERA.

By Gevorg M

Very nice course for an introduction into basic algorithms and data structures. It is quite nicely paced and explains the material clearly along with the reasoning why what they teach is important. Interview questions are sometimes very interesting, highly recommend doing them.

By Lucas K

May 12, 2020

Very well laid out and explained. The teacher has a great caidence (except for the occasional cough ;) ) that walks you through things in a straight forward manner. Would recommend to anyone with basic programming knowledge and hunger to learn about algo's and data structures.

By Ceriel M

Apr 29, 2018

Course is well organized, good grading program. Lots of very interesting information. I have learned a lot. I deduct half a star for the forum; it does not really work, although I found 1 very good tip there (so that earns half a star). Thank you for providing this course!

By Guilherme Z

Jun 04, 2017

This is a very nice course that really tested my understanding of the topic. I wish that the quizzes from previous sessions of this course were still alive in this version of the course. Well done, and I hope that anybody interested in learning algorithms take this course.

By LuxiLiu

Learned condensed and essential materials from this course. I saw some complaints that the exercise grading didn't specify every single detail, I don't think those should define the quality of a course. Thanks for the history, implementation, and interesting assignments!

By Nur C

Jan 08, 2018

Sedgewick does amazing lectures making any subject easy and digestable, every assignment is very well structured an can be done easily with the guidelines suggested and even if you get lost you can always turn to the community wich is very present along the course 10/10.

By Bruce H

Dec 06, 2017

Great course! I've learned so much from this course, not only algorithms(what?), but also proves(why?) and implementations(how to?). Lecture videos are easy to understand, detailed and inspiration. Programming assignments are genius works, challenging and inspiration.

By Evgeny R

Feb 11, 2017

I used this course for recollection of what I learned at the uni long time ago. It helped me to fill the gaps I'd naturally developed since then, as I don't need that low level understanding algorithms in my everyday work. The course definitely serves these purposes.

By Shen Y

May 04, 2019

This course not only enriches my horizon of how we can solve problems, but also helps me in learning programming in Java through the assignments. I really appreciate the opportunity to take this course, and I hope I can also complete the second part of Algorithms.

By Chenyu P

Nov 07, 2017

I have no background in computer science, but just a hobbyist in visual related programming.

This course opened the door to designing more efficient programs, in a very easy to understand way.

Thank you so much Bob and Kevin for putting such a great class on line.

By José Á F G

¡Excelente curso! El profesor es muy claro en sus explicaciones y las notas resumen muy bien los contenidos de cada sección. Los cuestionarios y las tareas de programación resultan desafiantes, pero están muy bien diseñadas para reafirmar y aplicar lo aprendido.

By Krzysztof D

Nov 25, 2017

It is a very good course! In order not to get lost you should know a bit about graph theory. Since I have natural science background I had do part of Algorithms 1 (also from Cousera) course to be able to do homework. C++ related stuff is easy to understand.

By Enrico G

Dec 08, 2016

I had long expected to have some free time to attend this course,and now I finally did it. It's simply great with practical demo and assignments at the end of each week to test the skills acquired.

For sure I am going to attend the second part of the course.

By Maggie L

Aug 10, 2019

This is indeed a great course!!! It is so challenging and sometimes I spend 2-3 days on the homework. But it's all worth the effort. I now know a bunch of algorithms. I will move on to Algorithm part II for sure. Definitely recommend it to every JAVA user.

By Bilal H A

May 01, 2020

It was absolutely enourmous fun going through the steps of every week. Projects were really on the point and no doubt brilliant in teaching the necessary details to fully comprehend the subject easily. Actually, I am just gonna go and start Part II. Bye.

By Chris S

Jan 01, 2017

Excellent course, concepts are very well explained, with ample amounts of examples. I also really enjoyed how the professor showed real world examples of how the data structures/algorithms are used, so that we aren't learning all this stuff in a vacuum.

By Ioanna N

Jul 11, 2017

Algorithms, Part I is a very interesting course. Prof. Sedgewick is an excellent teacher and presents the concepts in a very clear manner. The projects are particularly interesting and very challenging. I look forward for the second part of the class.

By Aamulya S

Jun 26, 2018

Great Course! Learned a lot from the videos but the greatest part of the course are the programming assignments. Doing them increases algorithmic knowledge ten-fold. Enjoyed the in-depth mathematical discussions on each and every data structure too.

By Yaniv B Z

Apr 08, 2018

One of the best coursers I've seen on Coursera, it is clear, not too slow or too fast. the course structure, and the way the subjects are divided across the weeks make a lot of sense. The book and the booksite are great, and complement the course.

By Nate B

Oct 24, 2016

This is an exceptional course - best I have seen, in fact. I'm excited to take Part 2 (and buy the book). Thanks very much to Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne for putting together such an amazing learning resource and making it freely available.