Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

51 - 75 of 864 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Newsha T

Nov 19, 2017

The flow of the course was very well designed so the student does't feel frustrated for not being able to follow the course material, but at the mean time at the end of the course the student has enough knowledge in SQL to be able to implement her knowledge. What I loved the most about the course was working messy real world data.

FYI, the last week of the course takes significantly longer than the rest.

By 刘硕

Oct 25, 2017

Having gone through a couple of different SQL courses on Coursera, this course is definitely the best. Rather than simply explain and demonstrate SQL programming logic and commends, this course provided a comprehansive solution from a business analyst perspective, as well as considerable hands on exercises. Thank you Jana for offering such a wonderful learning experence.

This course is a master piece

By Mihailo P

Dec 21, 2019

I believe that this course is very well structured and that, besides providing the knowledge of SQL language and different functions in it, it also teaches you how to think like a data analyst. For me it was challenging and it took me some time to complete it but I am very satisfied with what I learned and I am looking forward to continue learning and applying this knowledge in the future.

By ShirleyL

Aug 25, 2019

If you dont have programming experience, you will feel lost in the first few weeks. Like me, i feel like this is wrong thing for me from the beginning. But i have delayed long time and pay a lot of money. i have to learn something worth my money, then step by step, i start to feel the logic and why and how. This is worth the money. i will continue to learn. Thank you very much for sharing.

By Lei C

Feb 1, 2016

great course. great example databases. i would suggest renaming the course Managing Big Data with MySQL and TeraData. The Teradata component of the course was very heavy, and all graded pieces of the course used Teradata.

I would also make the assignments graded --- they can be peer reviewed. I think doing the assignments really help, not just completing the quizzes. those are my thoughts.

By Vinicius Q

Jan 18, 2016

I'm still in Week 1, but I'm already in love with this course. They give accurate information in a light manner, the exercises are very clear and didactic, and they also give the answers to these exercises which answers all of your potentially uprising questions, alongside with the Video Lectures. It is already giving me the confidence that it will be a great asset to me as a Data Analyst.

By Kelsey C

Oct 9, 2017

This course is thorough, do not start if you don't have the time and dedication to learn how to build complex queries! That said, if you finish the course and complete all of the exercises, you'll come out of it with a thorough understanding of SQL. Even if you don't know all the answers, this course will teach you where and how to find them, and make you do so numerous times to pass.

By Chenhao H

Mar 31, 2017

This is a really nice course to start learning SQL. It introduces the basic framework of correlation database and provides multiple case practices every week. The loading of this class is somehow larger than it is mentioned in the syllabus. So for those who want to learn SQL and willing to spend more than ten hours practicing every week, i strongly recommend this course :)

By Erik B

Dec 26, 2016

I have done a number of courses on coursera. After this one, I am now also doing the Tableau course. I think it is fair to say that Jana provides great value. I have seen courses with very shallow content. Jana's are the opposite. It's actually a lot or work to get to the detailed assignments, but that's a good thing. I really get the feeling that I have learned something!

By Antonio G

Oct 9, 2020

This course is a perfect way to brush up on your SQL skills from zero to a more advanced level. Alternatively to similar SQL courses, this one takes a learning-by-doing approach by means of multiple hands-on exercises using real world databases, which keeps the student engaged and motivated. Plus, Jana is a great instructor and the video contents are clear and concise.

By Tu-Van T

Sep 23, 2017

This course is extremely useful and educationally rich. It teaches from the fundamentals, thus, build the foundation for your agility in applying the query languages in dynamic working requests. The interestingly challenging material and the enthusiastic lecturers boost up the excitement in studying and keep you following through the course. Highly recommended!

By Gbolahan

Nov 12, 2016

I you are absolutely new to SQL, I couldn't recommend a better course. Its a wonderful course to take, good explanations and excellent practice opportunities with real databases. The program goes beyond just writing SQL queries but help you to understand the way databases are organized, and it teaches you how to right queries from an analytical perspective.

By Aquib J

Jul 29, 2020

I highly recommend this course to anyone who is an aspiring data analyst or anyone who wants to learn MySQL. This course is very comprehensive. I am 100% sure that if you can complete this course, you will be confident that no sql query can escape from your sharp eyes. You will be able to find the answer of most of the question your SPAP asks using MySQL.

By Joanna L

Sep 17, 2019

It's a very comprehensive course, that allows someone with zero knowlege to - after 5 weeks of classes - be pretty confident writing some intermediate queries and also become familar with Jupyter Notebooks which is of great value to me since it is universally used across my company, as well as more 'corporate' software for data retrieving like Teradata.

By Lyuhong W

May 22, 2018

这个专项课程内总共有五门课,先是教你各类数据指标的含义,然后是用Excel分析数据,再用Tableau进行数据可视化,然后是Mysql大数据课程,最后是毕业项目。

其中Mysql大数据课程真的是干活满满,每周至少要花12-18个小时才能掌握。

教师是用现在最潮流的Jupyter notebook进行教学,每一个函数都讲得特别仔细和系统,比其他单纯的甩给你代码和视频的课程好多了。题外话:我觉得Jupyter noterbook便于读写阅读文章,代码分段运行和图表即时显示的特点真的非常适合编程教学。

单单是Mysql大数据这门课就有五周,但是这种内容量抵得上大学课程2-3周的内容量了(我大学课程每门课每周4小时)。另外杜克大学还提供了Tableau的学生账号还有一些合作企业提供的数据库,学习起来真的是得心应手。

By Darshan N

Dec 15, 2019

I have done some SQL courses before but I wish I had found this course before any other as the amount of practice and intensity of this course is best I have ever seen. Most of the other courses go one by one into SQL syntax with very little examples but the exposure to real-life data and corresponding conclusions is the best this course has to offer.

By Padraig L

Nov 13, 2016

Brilliant course for the beginner to learn SQL. Well structured, very thorough and making use of some great technological resources for the user to practice their SQL with. By Week 4 my SQL had improved significantly and I was applying what I'd learned in my job . The final week is very challenging though, so be prepared to give it plenty of time.

By João F

Jan 24, 2018

Difficult course although I had some previous experience with SQL and MySQL. Working with Teradata for the first time was a valuable experience. About 20 hours of study per week. Regarding queries and data extraction this course goes beyond the basics and after completing the course the student is ready to interact with real-world data using SQL.

By María I I

Feb 15, 2016

This course really gives you a taste of what it is to work with real-company data. I strongly recommend it if you want to master at MySQL. Previously I had done a lot of small courses on web pages such as Codeacademy, but this was so far the most complete one. At the end of the course you will be amazed by the thinh you will be capable to do!

By Seshadri G

Jul 27, 2017

This course is thoroughly satisfying. You can hear the brain churning while trying to figure the most intuitive way to write the queries. It gives you the confidence of working with big data sets, gives an insight into how other cohorts think and helps you rate your own faculties of logic. The course delivers on the promises it makes.. 100%

By Benjamin B

Sep 12, 2020

Starting from no knowledge of SQL and some knowledge of other programming languages such as Python, Basic, and Scheme, I found this course to be comprehensive building up from a logical foundation and effective in skill-building. Prof. Jana Borg has a background in neuroscience as well so her pedagogical techniques are superbly informed.

By Carlee P

Mar 13, 2017

This is a great course that moves at a nice pace and allows students to experience SQL two different platforms (Jupyter, Teradata) with two different but interesting data sets. The videos are great but as with all programming the key is to practice, practice, practice! Which there is plenty of opportunity for also. Highly recommend.

By Megan C

Sep 22, 2018

I have zero knowledge about SQL or any programming language prior to taking this course. The structure of the course covers the fundamental knowledge and slowly progress to how to build more complex queries. It also equips the learner with common pitfalls of data analysis. Thank you for the great work in coming out with this course.

By Σταυρος Β

Feb 23, 2019

This course is very detailed and applied, while also providing enough theory first to help you understand the underlying concepts. It is quite challenging and especially last weeks exercises and quiz will test your limits. But this is just the finale of a really great course. The community also is very helpful. Highly recommended!

By Doğaç A

Sep 22, 2020

Great course, great instructors ! For a student like me who doesn't have any prior knowledge on the subject, I couldn't expect to learn more than this. At the end of the Week 5, I was really suprised with the final queries I managed to complete in Week 5 exercises. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this course. Top quality !