Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

26 - 50 of 855 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Oksana K

Jun 12, 2016

I found the first 4 weeks of the course amazing: just really well structured, thought-out, and delivered in a way that positions the student for success. Jana breaks the material down into digestible bits, gives you sufficient practice, and even if you don't get it, you can look at the answers to the practice questions and figure out where your thinking was incorrect.

The 5th week wasn't as well broken down, especially the last set of Teradata exercises. New concepts or ways of structuring queries were being introduced in those exercises, but there was no way to check for a correct solution if I couldn't come with one on my own (which was unfortunately half of the time). I still got a good grade on my last quiz, but I can't say that I really truly learned how to write the more complicated queries.

I would suggest that the last Teradata exercise set has more explanation or perhaps just answers that the student can refer to in order to understand why his/her line of thinking isn't working.

Otherwise, a truly fantastic course. I 100% recommend it.

By Martin G

Oct 28, 2016

Overall, great course!

I have approached other courses from other platforms and the upsides of this one here are many. The involvement of the teachers in this course is incredible in my opinion and they help a lot. The number of exercises also seems appropriate so overall the experience was great.

I definitely advise the instructors to suggest at least part of the answers to the practice exercises of week 5 (in Teradata). The gap between week 3 and 4 is a lot bigger than between week 2 and 3, of course, which is normal. Nevertheless, week 5 seems a bit like a detached exercise. I realize this must have been done for educational purposes but my instinct tells me that if I were provided with more indication I would have gone later to the discussion forums which I reckon would have been beneficial to my learning experience.

That was, in my opinion, a significant drawback but in general the course is so great I would not like to pull its rating back, so I leave 5*.

Thank you!

By David K C

Aug 29, 2016

One of the most amazing MOOC courses I have ever taken. From the start, Jana did an excellent job with building the intuition of databases in general and of SQL. The modules (weeks) are organized coherently. The datasets were realistic and challenging (in a great way).

The best aspect of this course is the MySQL exercises, built upon IPython notebook. Personally I have experience with R and Python, yet I still feel like I learned a lot from the exercises. The instructions and lessons as part of the programming exercise were clear and useful, effectively complementing the video lectures and providing hands-on experiences.

The only pity I have is that Coursera stopped providing full access to course materials and Statement of Accomplishment. But that has nothing to do with this course. The instructors seem to provided maximal opportunity for all students, including ones (like me ) who are just 'auditing'.

Overall, a five star rating is a must for this course.

By Ben G

Aug 2, 2017

This was a great course. It became challenging enough at the end to really feel like an accomplishment when completing it. My only negative comment would be about having to setup teradata and reloading jupyters database connection every exercise, but after a few times it's not a huge problem.

The forum was very useful when you get stuck, with mentors replying reasonably quickly. All in all, I was happy with the course because I frequently caught myself knowing what I was solving for and how I could get the right answer(or something resembling it). There will be some highs and lows doing this course if like me you were very unfamiliar with SQL coming in to it, but the depth it goes it to means you'll come out feeling much more confident writing queries, once you are out the other side.

By ANIKET D K

Sep 10, 2020

This course definitely gave me confidence in mysql. Both beginners and novice learners can out try this course.Also we get to learn in 2 different platforms that is jupyter and terada using real world datasets . Overall best course for mysql i have found !

By Ankit B

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent Course !!! This course is more on hands on practice rather than videos which is important to learn SQL. Highly recommended to take this course :). Thanks professor for this well designed course

By K M M

It is a good course and I have learnt managing the data which I always felt curious to know .I was difficult for me to understand teradata at first because their is not a lot information about it

By Angelo Z

Feb 1, 2016

Great course! It takes you from zero knowledge of SQL to being able to write quite complicated queries, and being ready for most of standard SQL questions in job interviews. Strongly recommended!

By Christopher E

Sep 4, 2017

Managing big data with MySQL helped me learn SQL. That was my primary goal. It was thus valuable and met my needs. My secondary (a close second) was to pick up some skills regarding MySQL, which is a specific and distinct relational database management system (distinct from, say, Microsoft's version or from PostgreSQL). On this front I was disappointed. The course is taught through other interfaces, such as Jupyter and Teradata, and neither offers nor requires any exposure to MySQL. I therefore think the course should be renamed Managing big data with SQL; that is, 'MySQL' should be removed from the name. It is, as it stands, misleading to folks like me interested in specifically getting some exposure to and familiarity with MySQL and the minor-league database administrative tricks that would come with that exposure. Thanks for the chance to comment.

By Kaicheng Z

Aug 4, 2020

I recognize the value of this course in terms of the real database it is using. Yet, I don't see this format intuitive for learning SQL. Good course for practicing SQL for experienced leaners, but not that friendly to beginners

By Richard H

Feb 25, 2016

too many issues with the DB's that needed to be accessed to complete the exams.

By Martina

Jun 12, 2020

This was a frustrating class. Many of the concepts, especially simpler ones, were useful. But the instructions were gradually unclear and read like a first draft that nobody looked through afterwards. Jupyter, one of the interfaces, often didn't work, including the first time I tried to use it. The level of difficulty from week 4 to the final week was almost insurmountable. Please review this class. It would be a pity to leave it at the first-draft stage as it is now. My overall impression was that of course designers who didn't care about the time of their students, especially the hours of trying to make Jupyter work or deciphering poorly written instructions. This is all well-documented in the discussion forums for this class.

By Lidia B

Apr 3, 2021

Jana Schaich Borg is an amazing instructor who not only tried to simplify the concepts in order for us to understand the tough material but who presented the course well in an adaptable logic to the different ways of individual learning.

Btw, whoever said that SQL can be learned in 1 week it is very likely NOT correct, as the majority of learners have a full time jobs and have never before worked with SQL. It literally took me about 5 years to become sort of an expert in Excel (note: I didn't say Guru:) as there is still a lot to learn); and as SQL is a totally different animal with it's own scripted language, it will most certainly take a while to understand and adapt to your own logic... so unless your day-to-day job involves writing very simple queries, the timeline to learn complex SQL queries should not be exaggerated.

By Zhang Z

Feb 28, 2017

I strongly recommend this course!

Firstly, This course gives listeners great opportunities to get access to the real world data and the skills to retrieve the data that can be used for analyzing.

Secondly, the design of this course is perfect, it includes almost all the necessary skills(queries, analyzing skills), resources(where you can find solutions when u come across problems) and tips for data analysis with sql.

Thirdly, the teacher(Jana) is good. She shows us the comprehensive aspects of data analysis with clear structure and step by step.

Therefore, it is good for beginners! One thing to mention is that if you are a beginner, you may need almost 18 hours every week under high efficiency especially for the last two weeks. Hence, it's good to make a balance !

By Runtao M

Jun 1, 2020

Coming from other MOOC platforms, I thought I had some basic knowledge of SQL, but then it turned out to be fake sense of accomplishment. Here at Coursera, you are really learning the skill as a knowledge set in your brain, instead of copying someone's moves when they are wrtiting queries. Before finishing this course, I was able to run queries to solve some real problems I was facing when working with my teammates. Essentially it's a great course. The only suggestions I could make is 1. Improve the Jupyter server stability. Sometimes it took me nearly an hour to get into it. 2. Few questions in the exercises are not articulated properply, e.g W5E12, it's asking for the 'greatest' while the hint and the answer point to the 'minimum'.

By Hmei D

Mar 31, 2020

This fabulous course instructed by Dr.Jana Schaich Borg of Duke University have given me the sound principles guide and extensive practices. It is my great honor and pleasure to attend this course, where the classmates and instructors are very helpful through online forums. I have learned lots of new things on SQL, database, Teradata programming. It is challenging, but we made it. Thank instructors for their guidance and efforts to go through codes and answer questions. Really enjoyed and accomplished the course timely. Hope we will use these skills to tackle the real business issues in our daily work. Best Regards and Have a nice day, Mei

By Gunjari B

Jul 28, 2017

This Course is great for beginners as well as those who already have some concepts regarding Databases. There are plenty of practice exercises and the data sets also help getting in the taste of business data. The key to successfully retrieve the most from the course is going through all the reading material available and the practice exercises which has plenty of guidance.

However I would love to see some video additions covering some query concepts in the exercises and also comparison between teradata and MySQL the two functional databases in use!

Thank you for this course! The learning experience was great

By Ehui E S A

Mar 17, 2018

This course in my favorite course for this specialization. I discovered the Coursera by this course. I was looking for an online course at good price to learn the SQL and/or MySQL and I found this course. Finally, I enrolled in this Duke University specialization to do four courses (course 1 to course 4 of the specialization Excel to MySQL) This course gave me all the knowledge I need for the SQL learning and the database. It was difficult because the course is dense, but easy to learn with the instructors and Coursera platform. This course need to be a credit course. I recommend it to everyone.

By Aparna S

May 6, 2018

This one is the best SQL course I've taken so far. Tried one more by UCDAVIS on coursera before this. The striking differences are, liveliness of the instructor, relevancy of the material to the industry, the quality of the data, level of difficulty of the quizzes, above all introducing to two different languages through hands on exercises before the quiz and very clear documentation. Lot of work has gone into designing this course and hope it benefits to all the learners in the world! Thanks Prof Jana. Keep smiling and teaching!

By Julia S

Feb 2, 2017

This course is great, finally that line in my resume is not a lie) I wish we went through this course on coursera back then in my university instead of SQL lessons that we had.

I really apreciated the realistic setup for practice and rather big number of given exercises - very usefull for digestion of information. And by the way Jana is the best lecturer among all the ones I've seen on Coursera, very live, open, enthusiastic and giving information with structure and to the point. Thank you, it was a pleasure.

By Dengjiahao

Feb 3, 2016

This course is really awesome!

There are a lot of well designed exercises, which not only trained my skill to write SQL query but also deepen my understanding of relational database. The real business data provides learners an opportunity to get in touch with the real business world.

So I am excited to recommend you to take this course. If you are a new beginner at MySQL, it can help you get started soon. If you already know some basic knowledge about SQL, this course will also be a good resource for practice.

By L

Mar 19, 2016

One of the best MOOC courses out there! Challenging but you will learn a lot if you stick with it. Extensive and in-depth lectures/practice exercises on SQL. Appreciate that you learn using two systems, MySQL (through Jupyter) and Teradata. However the Teradata interface is a bit clunky and takes time getting used to.

BTW, Jana is a great instructor and Duke courses, in this track, especially the Tableau and MySQL courses are the best out there at the moment.

By T G

Mar 8, 2021

Well, such a long journey. Frankly speaking, if you take every single part seriously in the course, you will be so strong in mysql. But is take a lot of time to do so, more than any other course I took on coursera. I even think the course itself should be a speciallization rather than a part of one. And the teacher Jana is amazing. She is beautiful, and I think everyone should love her style. Thanks Jana!

By Newsha T

Nov 19, 2017

The flow of the course was very well designed so the student does't feel frustrated for not being able to follow the course material, but at the mean time at the end of the course the student has enough knowledge in SQL to be able to implement her knowledge. What I loved the most about the course was working messy real world data.

FYI, the last week of the course takes significantly longer than the rest.