Back to Data Visualization and Communication with Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Visualization and Communication with Tableau by Duke University

One of the skills that characterizes great business data analysts is the ability to communicate practical implications of quantitative analyses to any kind of audience member. Even the most sophisticated statistical analyses are not useful to a business if they do not lead to actionable advice, or if the answers to those business questions are not conveyed in a way that non-technical people can understand. In this course you will learn how to become a master at communicating business-relevant implications of data analyses. By the end, you will know how to structure your data analysis projects to ensure the fruits of your hard labor yield results for your stakeholders. You will also know how to streamline your analyses and highlight their implications efficiently using visualizations in Tableau, the most popular visualization program in the business world. Using other Tableau features, you will be able to make effective visualizations that harness the human brain’s innate perceptual and cognitive tendencies to convey conclusions directly and clearly. Finally, you will be practiced in designing and persuasively presenting business “data stories” that use these visualizations, capitalizing on business-tested methods and design principles....

TP
Jul 3, 2016

Thanks very much for great content and especially, Ms. Jana Schaich Borg for brilliant presentation skills, lovely voice and good looking as well. Please participate. This is highly recommend course.

IT
Nov 6, 2018

I was pleased by the quality of this course. I really learned how to use tableau and the tips on researching and presenting were well founded. The teachers were positive and hard working. Thank you!

626 - 650 of 653 Reviews for Data Visualization and Communication with Tableau

By Steph L

Jun 6, 2016

I loved this course. The lecture videos taught me a lot and I was happy I got to use whatever I learned in the final project. The only reason why I'm giving three stars was because of the submission process for the final project. It gave me a headache because I didn't really understand how to submit to Tableau public. I tried following the instructions but I couldn't find some things so it confused me a bit. It caused me to submit my assignment late, and it was just not a pleasant process. Maybe upload new instructions with screenshots, or make another lecture video on how to submit.

By Choong L Y

Nov 30, 2020

It would have been better if the correct download Tableau link was provided at the start of the course. I searched online by myself and downloaded the trial version of Tableau 2020.3 which could not save my visualizations on Tableau Public. Even after I spent some time searching & downloaded Tableau Public, I still couldn't save my work on Public. Jing was faulty too. Its 'Country' was empty and I was unable to create a new a/c.

By Xu Z

Jan 7, 2018

My objective is to pick up Tableau skill sets and become a better Tableau user after the course. However, the class is more focused on communication and presentation. Only 2 sessions out of 5 are focused on Tableau. I don't think that the class meet class meets my expectation. Overall, I think that the class is designed well for sharpening communication and presentation skills, not well for learning Tableau technical skills

By Ambreen H

Mar 29, 2016

Great course!

Very well organized, and worked in a format where you would build as you learned and had several milestones for review.

The one complaint I have is that the final asks for you to work in Tableau, and provides you a license for 15 days, although the course runs longer than that.

By Abhishek M

Jun 6, 2016

I have given an extra star for the free license software received.

Didn't find the course as challenging as the Machine Learning course.

The assignments need to be more challenging. Connecting to SQlite / GA Analytics dummy data can be added. Tableau with R session can be incorporated.

By Rajan A

Jun 15, 2020

Not the course where you learn the most practical skills! Has a lot of portion about communication, presentation, and storyboarding! I would have tried the Udemy one instead! I didn't get to make any worthwhile dashboards in this one!

By Anish V

Feb 20, 2018

Creating a presentation is rigid. There is no room to create a presentation in my own way. The point that instructor is setting points in the rubric about adding emotional hooks and following hour glass structure seems silly to me.

By Hossam A

Apr 21, 2020

Very useful content, however the used software for illustration is an old one, so some steps are different in practice. Moreover the instructor sometimes skips or unclearly do a step that might lead you to get lost

By Cheryl T

May 7, 2017

New user to Tableau - I found there to be too much information in both weeks 2 and 3 to absorb completely, which made the practice exams very time consuming. Time for a manual or other methods of learning.

By Zakir S

Mar 27, 2019

It was a good course but too long and Tableau was very hard (very slow) to run on my laptop so I don't know if I would use it work.

By Yuting W

Aug 12, 2018

The reading part need to much time to understand.I think the professor need pay some time to introduce it in the video

By Achilleas B

Nov 11, 2020

Some update is needed as many things have changed in the current tableau edition.

By Dominique B

Dec 3, 2017

Not the right course if you're looking for a technical training on Tableau

By Shane T

Dec 21, 2016

Not enough Tableau use for it to be in the title of the course

By David G N A

Aug 25, 2020

Good course, but it's only 50% about Tableau (weeks 2 an 3).

By Sangy

Feb 23, 2020

More feedback on assingments and projects wouldbe good.

By Isha S

By DEBORA M

Jun 4, 2020

not for beginner!

By Sonal A

Pathetic audio quality. no orders or mentions that the in-class assignments will be used later in final project so one needs to save them. Poorly designed course.

By Esther-Alexandra N

Dec 29, 2019

This course is too much time-consuming.

By Wai H T

Feb 4, 2021

I have been a long time user of Coursera, and this is easily one of the worst course in terms of design and moderator support. The quiz is super difficult, not due to the technical level or knowledge required, but the way the course is structured: throughout all the video lectures they use one dataset, and in the practice exercise they use another. Most of the time I don't even know the requirement of the questions to attempt to answer.

That is not even the worst problem, because the practice exercise was presented using paragraphs after paragraphs of TEXT ONLY! Not only that, most other courses would structure the practice exercise as an ungraded quiz so that learners can at least know if they got the approach correct or not, but not this bad course. They just give you pages after pages of text that describe the practice exercise, without even some screen-caps to show you the steps!

Furthermore, the lecture video is using a version of Tableau that is very outdated and no information was provided to assist the learners as far as how they should adapt to the new version of Tableau. You must rely on ploughing through threads of discussion forum for help.

I will never take courses from this from this provider and recommend you to do the same.

By Kristoffer H

Apr 5, 2018

Course moderators delete your posts seeking help regarding access to mandatory software that requires obtaining a key from the moderators for the vague reason of "clarity" as the reason for deleting your post without attempting to seek additional information.

By Scott W

Apr 19, 2020

Very disappointed with the teaching in this course. The software was amazing and with more depth spent on how to use the software the course objectives might have been reached. Very, very disappointed - wasted $360!!

By Arpit G

Dec 5, 2020

no support from moderators or mentors. this course has the potential of be a part of the top courses on coursera but it turns out to be a complete disaster.