Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

GL
Oct 15, 2015

Well presented, wonderful insight into the world of the ancient Greeks. I learnt a lot, and it has whetted my appetite for more. I really loved this course, and enjoyed it very much indeed

401 - 425 of 433 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Jose A M

May 30, 2018

One of the more challenging and wonderfully thorough Cousera courses that I've taken. I truly enjoyed it. Well done!

By Margreta V d L

Apr 9, 2019

I enjoyed the course. I studied Ancient Greece in high school so the course brought back some memories.

By Frederick L V

Jan 20, 2018

Excellent coverage of the rise and fall of Ancient Athens, particularly Pericles and Alcibiades details.

By David P

Oct 4, 2015

I knew nothing about ancient Greece before. Excellent course. Thanks. David Pearsall, Greenville NC

By Priscila P G d M

Nov 25, 2015

Um excelente panorama da história dos gregos com a indicação de boas leituras complementares.

By Kousay a

Oct 4, 2015

It is a great educational experience that opened the door to the ancient Greek history.

By Johann Q

Sep 5, 2015

The course is ok. But we need really less lectures and more application based courses.

By Daniel S

Apr 3, 2020

Very complete, but could use more multimedia resources to make it more enjoyable.

By Swaroop K

Jul 11, 2018

there could have been a couple of videos on gods and some of the mythic heroes

By Varun N

Course offers amazing insights into the lives and times of the ancient Greeks

By Luis M X d C

Aug 15, 2016

A good starting point to learn more about the "Ancient Greeks"

By Rami A K

Very informative. Ties it all together.

By Kenneth M

Dec 8, 2015

well presented and thought provoking

By Renato F

By John T R

Aug 20, 2020

By Andrew M

Sep 1, 2015

Ancient Greeks is brief overview of Greek civilization from about 1800 to 320 BC, starting with the Minoans of Crete and ending with the death of Alexander the Great. Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak demonstrates great knowledge about the subjects, covering literature, government, and philosophy.

Yet the course has two setbacks: 1) The professor stutters through the lectures, displaying his obvious discomfort being on camera; and 2) the overview is very expansive, so there isn't great study in any single theater of Greek civilization.

There is, however, solid coverage. I also felt the chapter on the 4th cent. BC, done to address complaints about no coverage of Alexander and Macedon, feels tacked on. It's a long, but somehow hurried lecture.

That said, I liked this course. I gained greater knowledge of important political and literary figures, such as Solon and Alcibiades, than I did when I studied the subject back in college.

By Wendi S

Jun 2, 2017

The information was interesting and divided up so that it made a connection between the readings and the lectures. However, the speaker seemed uncomfortable and did not present himself well. More photos and being shown the pictures longer with him speaking behind them would have helped. Looking at little pictures on a computer/TV screen behind the speaker didn't help. Poor presentation although good subject matter.

By Muhammad I

Feb 14, 2016

Very interesting! I wish there is some animation film to explain the narative.

By Gorret F

Oct 12, 2015

A lesson with discussion about the question of quizz.

By Julie C

Apr 12, 2016

The professor certainly knows a lot about this subject, but his delivery is stiff and dry. If he shared his passion for the subject with us it would be more enjoyable. On the plus side, I admire how he shares the Greek language with us so capably and combines art with his lectures.