Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

MH
Sep 3, 2015

Brilliant course. Superbly assembled and presented material. And I love the prof's wry sense of humour!\n\nI've been wanting to learn about this subject for many years. Highly recommended.

76 - 100 of 448 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Gavin R

Dec 27, 2015

An engaging look at Ancient Greece from the Minoan civilisation on Crete through to the death of Socrates (with some bonus material on Alexander the Great by popular demand!). The course is extremely well-designed and presented by first-rate lecturer, Professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak of Wesleyan University. Totally recommended.

By LPP

Jun 8, 2020

Really enjoyed the program. Read both the Odyssey by Homer and Histories by Herodotus, which is something I would never have done. Links need to be updated, purely to tighten up the package. I found myself expanding beyond the recommended reading lists. The timeline covered in the course was a lot, but it was done super well.

By swagata m

Apr 27, 2020

Prof. Szegedy-Maszak's gripping method of conducting the lectures further inflamed my desire for learning more about Ancient Greece. But much of my thirst was quenched, too. Now I am going to find out more about the classical antiquity. Thanks for this fascinating course, sir!! And thank you for the excellent pictures used.

By Wilson F

Aug 17, 2020

Excellent course - a wide subject covered with expertise and in terms accessible for those unfamiliar with the subject, It is introductory, as it had to be considering the broadness of the subject, but carried out in a very respectful way, without generalizations and vulgarisations. Strongly recommended!

By OCTAVIO R

Jul 31, 2020

A fantastic course. I'm very happy with the contents lerned these weeks. Good exposition about the historical events, interesting references and lectures, accurately considerations of differents interpretative's position and definite video's contents (I apologise for my english, need to practice more).

By Gail J

Dec 7, 2017

A fantastic course with so much information and so much modern scholarship about Ancient Greece. The discussion forums are excellent. We covered so much in these lectures. Anyone interested in history would enjoy this class. I wish this professor would cover other parts of ancient history for Coursera.

By Ian T j

A wonderful course presented with clarity and feeling by Professor Szegedy-Maszak. It made the lives and civilization of the Ancient Greeks so much more accessible. I am delighted to have had the opportunity to complete this course - thank you Coursera and Wesleyan University for making it possible.

By Martha P T

Aug 2, 2019

It was a delight to listen to Ph. Szegedy-Mazsack teaching us about the Greek Culture. I recognized the Greek legacy in our world. I enjoyed a lot the beautiful buildings, statues and paintings. So, History, Litterature, Art and Philosophie supported the marvelous Greek Culture view. Thanks a lot!

By Michael S

Mar 15, 2019

Very good course. I had only studied Greece briefly during World History class so some of the topics were familiar but this course fleshed them out in great but easy to understand detail, and there were many topics we had omitted in World History that were covered in the course. Highly recommend!

By Vivek B S

Apr 15, 2020

The Ancient Greeks course was really an eye opener into the greek history. Unfortunately, the educational system portrays greek history to be just Alexander and few philosophers nothing else. This course shows us that there is much more to greek history. One of the best history courses to study.

By Lucy I D L R T

Apr 4, 2017

Estudiar historia, es parte de estudiar lo que es el hombre, y el arte siempre revela la parte más bella de este, su parte creativa. El arte Minoico, Arte Micenica, y los poemas de Homero, son parte de ese arte hermoso que es un legado y un disfrute, para ver, leer, estudiar y comprender.

By Rhonda S H

May 30, 2016

I love this class. So much important history that can be related to current events and people. I highly recommend everyone to take this course and think about it. We still make the mistakes these people did, and the successes are a part of our existence today. Instructor is very pleasant too.

By Joanna C

Dec 8, 2015

Fantastic course. Nicely paced with good lectures and background reading. Highly recommended if you want to learn about history of ancient Greece, with a side order of drama, literature, lives of women, slaves and metics (do the course and you will know who they are). Highly recommended.

By Diane G

Aug 23, 2020

I was thrilled to have the opportunity during the isolation of the pandemic to focus on such an extraordinarily intelligent and transporting material. I struggled through the readings, loved the video lectures and strived to do my best on the reviews. I thought it was time very well spent.

By Maria

Jan 12, 2019

A great course. It gives you a deep idea of the Greek world in those centuries, the way of thinking and behaving. A good base to continue deepening The professor is stupendous: synthetic and critical in his vision of History.

Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to learn.

By Marta F

Sep 8, 2017

Muchísimas gracias a Coursera y a todos los que participaron en la elaboración del curso, principalmente al profesor. Es un gran regalo poder escuchar estas conferencias y aprender con tan grandes maestros. Muy ameno el profesor y muy buena la información. Saludos desde México.

By Priscilla C

Jun 23, 2018

I learned a lot from this well organized and well presented course. I appreciated the lists of readings... but unfortunately a lot of the links to the texts did not work. This was easily remedied by doing internet searches. I wish this professor would have more online courses.

By Angela T

Aug 24, 2017

I found this to be an excellent course and really fascinating. it contains a great deal of information and provides some interesting readings materials and has improved my knowledge of the Ancient Greeks considerably. Very professional presentation and great visual resources.

By José C E

Jan 7, 2018

This course is run by an utter expert on the field. Professor Szegedy-Maszak is a passionate narrator whose approach to Greek culture helps the student get involved and quite interested in it.

I recommend anyone to take this course on such important subject to our culture.

By Stephen M

Dec 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed and gained a greater understanding of Ancient Greece. The lectures were informative and gave great insight to the events of that period. I would strongly recommend taking this course and thank all involved in the creation of this course

Stephen Miller

By Charles C

Sep 6, 2020

I had taken philosophy courses in the past. This course helped me understand the historical and cultural influences at play. I quite enjoyed it and found it broadened my understanding of those times but also the genesis of many political concepts at play in modern times.

By Billy W

Nov 1, 2015

Professor Andy lectures really made me enjoy my time spent learned and studying about the Ancient Greeks, now having skimmed the top of some history of the Ancient Greeks I look to discover more by myself and as suggested in this course. "Think like the Greeks." Good day.

By David H

Aug 22, 2017

This course was very interesting and the way presented was great. By concentrating on the major events and historical figures everything fell into place logically and chronologically. The Prof was good at getting his message across. Thanks for a pleasure able course.

By Shirlei P S N A

Aug 10, 2020

O curso possibilitou o aprendizado aprofundado a respeito dos Gregos Antigos, sua História, sua cultura e as influências até os dias atuais da nossa sociedade. Como sou estudante da Antiguidade, para minha formação esse curso veio a contribuir enormente. Obrigada!