Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

GL
Oct 15, 2015

Well presented, wonderful insight into the world of the ancient Greeks. I learnt a lot, and it has whetted my appetite for more. I really loved this course, and enjoyed it very much indeed

101 - 125 of 433 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Mohamed G

Mar 31, 2016

So thanks Prof ,i think that it was a great course and really my hope now is to visit Greece to recall Homer,Socrates,Hesiod,Solon.........................

As a course ,Ancient Greeks resource me much and i advice all students to take this wonderful course.

By Leonard S

Jan 21, 2018

An excellent course taught by a talented professor. The course gave me a better appreciation of the influence of Greece in the classical era to our present day society. It did make me interested to reading more and thinking about visiting Greece one day.

By Natalia K

Jan 28, 2016

An amazing course! I have found many interesting details and also received completely new way of seeing the history of democracy! Special acknowledgment to professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak for his work and generous way to give knowledge to the students!

By Miriam E G

Apr 22, 2018

Un curso super completo para iniciar el estudio de Grecia en tiempos antiguos. Un profesor muy didáctico. Los materiales sugeridos son abundantes para quienes quieran seguir estudiando. Uno de los mejores cursos de historia en Coursera por lejos!!!

By Caitlin B

Sep 13, 2015

What an excellent course! The lecturer sets a good pace and is very engaging. The subject matter is interesting, and the course hours per week are very reasonable. I also really like the MCQs to consolidate your learning at the end of each lecture.

By Jemima P

Feb 18, 2016

This was an excellent course on The Ancient Greeks. I studied Ancient History and Archaeology at University a few years ago and I found this a brilliant refresher to knowledge I had forgotten. It was well structured and interestingly taught.

By Beth

Nov 7, 2018

This course is outstanding!! Professor Andy is full of passion for his subject - and it's a fascinating one! Free quizzes is an act of generosity in this day of restricted access Mooc's. Very active course mentors too! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

By Francine

Jul 30, 2016

An excellent course, one of the best I’ve done at Coursera. I hope Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak will give more courses on this subject, starting with the end of this course, the 4th century BCE, progressing to the 3rd, 2nd etcetera BCE!

By James R M I

Nov 15, 2015

Professor is very knowledgable and honest about the topic. As a student of classical civilizations I loved his simple communication style to explain concepts that tend to become overly complicated by bad professors. Definitely enjoyed

By Corina

Aug 9, 2016

I found Wesleyan University's course "The Ancient Greeks" rich in varied information. Professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak's lectures are particularly thoughtful and the quizzes are clear. An altogether enjoyable, well-worth experience.

By Madhuri L R

Jul 2, 2020

The outlines of the Greek civilization are very well crafted in this course, especially professor Andrew Szegedy is very calm and composed, authoritative as well. Neither he exaggerates the things nor he disowns.

Thank you all...

By Deborah S

Nov 19, 2017

I very much enjoyed this course, which was wide-ranging and informative, while still being accessible for someone (me) who didn't know much about the period. It has definitely inspired me to go on and learn more about the period.

By Agnieszka M C

May 18, 2019

I will recommend this course. I was astonished by how many words, expressions come from greek language. The idea of democracy, the society in the ancient Greece all based up on the sources from that time. I enjoyed all 7 weeks.

By Xiao C

Sep 28, 2020

Absolutely enjoyed this class. The professor is great, knowledgeable, persuasive, very effective. I would take another class of his for sure.

It would be great if the dead links on the reading assignment pages could be fixed.

By Alan A

Jul 25, 2020

This is a wonderful course. I have learnt so much about 1000 years of Greek history, and I am left inspired to find out even more. There is a lot packed into the seven weeks of video lectures, but it never feels overwhelming.

By Alan G

Jun 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course along with the lecturers knowledge, only down side was the transcripts of the lectures. has nobody every though of doing a spell/sense check on these? In one Alcibiades was spelt in about 5 different ways!

By Florence

Jul 31, 2016

Fantastic course. Very enjoyable, quite clear and shed light on quite a lot of complex concepts. It's not hard to follow, but certainly arouses your curiosity and makes you explore more. Thank you for all these great lectures.

By Paul I

Oct 28, 2015

I found The Ancient Greeks course to be excellent, highly informative and well presented. I found the lectures, use of maps and pictures of ancient artifacts to be most useful in supporting the topic. Highly recommended.

By Luis R P R

Apr 2, 2020

Wonderfully given lectures by a great Professor. I'm so happy to have taken this course again and revive the knowledge I acquired when I took it for the first time 7 years ago. This time I'll have a Diploma! Thank you!!

By David D

Aug 7, 2016

Totally excellent and enthralling! The subject matter is well treated and easy to follow. The quality of the videos are top as well. I fell the the mix of lecture, reading and quiz at the end of the week was just right.

By Jared T

I loved the material. It made me interested more in Ancient Greece. some of the links are broken. I also wish the proffesor would give some list of books to read for after the course. Again it was a fantastic class.

By Lorraine H

Oct 5, 2020

Lecturer was very knowledgeable and quite interesting. He varied his intensity from lecture to lecture to give the student a break. His visuals were pretty good although sometimes the maps could have been clearer.

By ziqiang y

Jun 5, 2020

An excellent course! The content is well chosen and organized, the quiz is well designed to help students to grab the main ideas. The professor is a real gentleman! It's very pleasant to listen to his teaching.

By Konstantinos G

Dec 29, 2019

Taking this course was a fantasic jurney to the past learning about the accomplishments of the ancient Greeks. I would dare say that as a Greek myself it was a unique experience and overall an amazing course.

By Nilufer R

Jan 11, 2016

Outstanding course, delivered measuredly, concisely, and clearly. A wonderful panoramic introduction to the Ancient Greeks. Inspires one to dig deeper. Thank you so much for offering this course on Coursera.