Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

GL
Oct 15, 2015

Well presented, wonderful insight into the world of the ancient Greeks. I learnt a lot, and it has whetted my appetite for more. I really loved this course, and enjoyed it very much indeed

76 - 100 of 486 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Aline F

Feb 29, 2016

An excellent course for those interested in an introduction to classical studies. I studied roman history and latin at high school, and I was eager to learn more about the ancient greeks. This course provided me a great introduction. And it raised my interest in reading ancient greek authors. That was the strongest point for me: no need of animation, I liked the invitation to read ancient texts.

By Newportfiji

Feb 12, 2017

Excellent overview and introduction to Greek history. I am travelling to Greece later this year and wanted to get a better understanding of Greek history to appreciate the art, literature, architecture and sites which I will be visiting. This course was both educational and entertaining. I highly recommend and look forward to building upon the knowledge acquired in the course. Thank you!

By Laurent G

Oct 28, 2018

This course is in my opinion exceptionally well made. The reading requirements are dense (clearly not to be done in the 10 minutes allocated each time), very informative and well integrated in the course itself. The course is introductive, but goes far enough to give a great background to build upon. I believe this course is a necessary first step for anybody interested in Greek history.

By Frances Y

Jul 29, 2017

Only criticisms would be that a number of the links for the readings are broken and I had to go searching for substitute sites to read them. Luckily being from the fifth century, all the readings are in the public domain. Also the majority if not all the readings are labeled to take 10 minutes but I found many took more than an hour and for the particularly longer works two hours.

By Barry D

Sep 14, 2015

Very interesting class. The readings were helpful in understanding a deep appreciation for the subjects covered. Still dislike the multiple guess questions at the end of each section, think essays would show mastery of the bigger picture, but understand the constrains of time on the professor. Still, I would recommend this class as a basic introduction to Ancie

By Jonathan W

Nov 12, 2015

I've found this course extremely helpful as I teach Greek history to my high school classes. Professor Andy explains crucial events in enough detail yet the videos are concise enough to watch multiple in one evening with good comprehension. Thank you so much for the lectures and great resources! They are invaluable to my planning my unit on Ancient Greece!

By Ion G F

Sep 18, 2015

Even though it covers some topics a little "superficially", this course is of great value for those who want to get more knowledge about the history and development of ancient Greece. It is really interesting that it does not only cover political and military issues, but also daily life and civic aspects of this civilization.

Really recommendable!

By Bruna F

Jun 4, 2020

What an amazing course! I'm actually a bit sad it's over! Ancient Greece is such a passion of mine and I've learned alot from this course, the professor is astonishing and has a really effective way of teaching and explaning events and ideas, I'm truly amazed! Congratulations and many thanks to all envolved in this, I'm really going to miss it!

By Linda H

Apr 25, 2021

Extremely informative; clearly and neatly presented. The professor has enormous knowledge and an obvious enthusiasm for the subject which brings the long story to life. When I looked back, at the end, I was surprised by the volume that we'd covered. Thank you - a topic I've wanted to explore for a long time. What a great introduction

By Spitsyna K

Jan 11, 2017

Ancient History: it is not boring anymore (for me)! Charming Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak gives materials in a way, that you feel an every character (even mithological) was a real person involved in a real story. I also like nice sence of humor and a voice of lecturer! A lot of reading was easy and interesting to learn during the course.

By Sonia S K

Sep 9, 2020

I absolutely loved this amazing course. It provided an outline of ancient Greek history. Though the list of reading materials was exhaustive, there are so much material to go back to and refer.The discussion forum of this course is the most active and responsive ever. Overall, this was a nice experience, thanks to Andy and the mentors.

By May W

Mar 22, 2020

Excellent history course presented in such a way that is both informative and interesting. I visited Greece last summer and feel like going back to see more now that I am equipped with more knowledge about the ancient Greeks. I especially like the professor's cool and composed manner. It has truly been a great learning experience.

By Gavin R

Dec 27, 2015

An engaging look at Ancient Greece from the Minoan civilisation on Crete through to the death of Socrates (with some bonus material on Alexander the Great by popular demand!). The course is extremely well-designed and presented by first-rate lecturer, Professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak of Wesleyan University. Totally recommended.

By Suzanne O

May 3, 2021

This is a great course. Enjoyed the challenge of learning about the Ancient Greeks, made possible by the professor. An awesome teacher, whose presentation held my interest and made it exciting to learn about a topic of study new to me. There's so much more to learn. Many thanks! I would love to take another course with Andrew.

By LPP

Jun 8, 2020

Really enjoyed the program. Read both the Odyssey by Homer and Histories by Herodotus, which is something I would never have done. Links need to be updated, purely to tighten up the package. I found myself expanding beyond the recommended reading lists. The timeline covered in the course was a lot, but it was done super well.

By swagata m

Apr 27, 2020

Prof. Szegedy-Maszak's gripping method of conducting the lectures further inflamed my desire for learning more about Ancient Greece. But much of my thirst was quenched, too. Now I am going to find out more about the classical antiquity. Thanks for this fascinating course, sir!! And thank you for the excellent pictures used.

By JULIE C

Jun 9, 2021

An exceptional course. I had a few problems with links to readings, but was able to find all of them. An interesting and informative mix of lecture and readings (note: the readings will take you much longer than the 10 minutes indicated). Highly recommended for anyone interested in history, politics, or rhetoric.

By Wilson F

Aug 17, 2020

Excellent course - a wide subject covered with expertise and in terms accessible for those unfamiliar with the subject, It is introductory, as it had to be considering the broadness of the subject, but carried out in a very respectful way, without generalizations and vulgarisations. Strongly recommended!

By OCTAVIO R

Jul 31, 2020

A fantastic course. I'm very happy with the contents lerned these weeks. Good exposition about the historical events, interesting references and lectures, accurately considerations of differents interpretative's position and definite video's contents (I apologise for my english, need to practice more).

By Gail J

Dec 7, 2017

A fantastic course with so much information and so much modern scholarship about Ancient Greece. The discussion forums are excellent. We covered so much in these lectures. Anyone interested in history would enjoy this class. I wish this professor would cover other parts of ancient history for Coursera.

By Mischa R

May 26, 2021

This course was everything I hoped it would be. It takes a deep-dive into Greek society from the Bronze Age to the end of the Peloponnesian War. Professor Szegedy-Maszak's lectures are clear, easy to follow, and fun. It's obvious that the lecturer loves this subject and his enthusiasm is infectious.

By Ian T j

A wonderful course presented with clarity and feeling by Professor Szegedy-Maszak. It made the lives and civilization of the Ancient Greeks so much more accessible. I am delighted to have had the opportunity to complete this course - thank you Coursera and Wesleyan University for making it possible.

By Martha P T

Aug 2, 2019

It was a delight to listen to Ph. Szegedy-Mazsack teaching us about the Greek Culture. I recognized the Greek legacy in our world. I enjoyed a lot the beautiful buildings, statues and paintings. So, History, Litterature, Art and Philosophie supported the marvelous Greek Culture view. Thanks a lot!

By Michael S

Mar 15, 2019

Very good course. I had only studied Greece briefly during World History class so some of the topics were familiar but this course fleshed them out in great but easy to understand detail, and there were many topics we had omitted in World History that were covered in the course. Highly recommend!

By Pedro S V

Apr 8, 2021

Increíble!! ha sido uno de los mejores cursos que he hecho. Un gran nivel de contenido, muy completo, interesante y que invita a pensar. El profesor es simplemente extraordinario. Un hombre que le da pasión, tintes reflexivos y una perspectiva crítica al curso y a la comprensión de la historia.