Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

GL
Oct 15, 2015

Well presented, wonderful insight into the world of the ancient Greeks. I learnt a lot, and it has whetted my appetite for more. I really loved this course, and enjoyed it very much indeed

101 - 125 of 486 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Vivek B S

Apr 15, 2020

The Ancient Greeks course was really an eye opener into the greek history. Unfortunately, the educational system portrays greek history to be just Alexander and few philosophers nothing else. This course shows us that there is much more to greek history. One of the best history courses to study.

By Lucy I D L R T

Apr 4, 2017

Estudiar historia, es parte de estudiar lo que es el hombre, y el arte siempre revela la parte más bella de este, su parte creativa. El arte Minoico, Arte Micenica, y los poemas de Homero, son parte de ese arte hermoso que es un legado y un disfrute, para ver, leer, estudiar y comprender.

By Rhonda H

May 30, 2016

I love this class. So much important history that can be related to current events and people. I highly recommend everyone to take this course and think about it. We still make the mistakes these people did, and the successes are a part of our existence today. Instructor is very pleasant too.

By Joanna C

Dec 8, 2015

Fantastic course. Nicely paced with good lectures and background reading. Highly recommended if you want to learn about history of ancient Greece, with a side order of drama, literature, lives of women, slaves and metics (do the course and you will know who they are). Highly recommended.

By Diane G

Aug 23, 2020

I was thrilled to have the opportunity during the isolation of the pandemic to focus on such an extraordinarily intelligent and transporting material. I struggled through the readings, loved the video lectures and strived to do my best on the reviews. I thought it was time very well spent.

By Maria

Jan 12, 2019

A great course. It gives you a deep idea of the Greek world in those centuries, the way of thinking and behaving. A good base to continue deepening The professor is stupendous: synthetic and critical in his vision of History.

Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to learn.

By Marta F

Sep 8, 2017

Muchísimas gracias a Coursera y a todos los que participaron en la elaboración del curso, principalmente al profesor. Es un gran regalo poder escuchar estas conferencias y aprender con tan grandes maestros. Muy ameno el profesor y muy buena la información. Saludos desde México.

By Priscilla C

Jun 23, 2018

I learned a lot from this well organized and well presented course. I appreciated the lists of readings... but unfortunately a lot of the links to the texts did not work. This was easily remedied by doing internet searches. I wish this professor would have more online courses.

By Angela T

Aug 24, 2017

I found this to be an excellent course and really fascinating. it contains a great deal of information and provides some interesting readings materials and has improved my knowledge of the Ancient Greeks considerably. Very professional presentation and great visual resources.

By José C E

Jan 7, 2018

This course is run by an utter expert on the field. Professor Szegedy-Maszak is a passionate narrator whose approach to Greek culture helps the student get involved and quite interested in it.

I recommend anyone to take this course on such important subject to our culture.

By styephen m

Dec 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed and gained a greater understanding of Ancient Greece. The lectures were informative and gave great insight to the events of that period. I would strongly recommend taking this course and thank all involved in the creation of this course

Stephen Miller

By Charles C

Sep 6, 2020

I had taken philosophy courses in the past. This course helped me understand the historical and cultural influences at play. I quite enjoyed it and found it broadened my understanding of those times but also the genesis of many political concepts at play in modern times.

By Billy W

Nov 1, 2015

Professor Andy lectures really made me enjoy my time spent learned and studying about the Ancient Greeks, now having skimmed the top of some history of the Ancient Greeks I look to discover more by myself and as suggested in this course. "Think like the Greeks." Good day.

By David H

Aug 22, 2017

This course was very interesting and the way presented was great. By concentrating on the major events and historical figures everything fell into place logically and chronologically. The Prof was good at getting his message across. Thanks for a pleasure able course.

By Shirlei P S N A

Aug 10, 2020

O curso possibilitou o aprendizado aprofundado a respeito dos Gregos Antigos, sua História, sua cultura e as influências até os dias atuais da nossa sociedade. Como sou estudante da Antiguidade, para minha formação esse curso veio a contribuir enormente. Obrigada!

By Elena

Sep 23, 2015

I loved this course and I was a bit sad when I finished it. I found it very interesting and the teacher was very good explaining and making it simple enough. The material used (presentations, maps, photos) really helped to round up the lessons. Overall, a ver

By Germán K

Dec 23, 2019

Excellent course to think about the story. Coordinated with an exhaustive teacher to explore through of the epic, tragedy, comedy, architecture and art in general as elements to get closer to understanding the Ancient Greeks and their democracy and politics.

By mohamed G

Mar 31, 2016

So thanks Prof ,i think that it was a great course and really my hope now is to visit Greece to recall Homer,Socrates,Hesiod,Solon.........................

As a course ,Ancient Greeks resource me much and i advice all students to take this wonderful course.

By Leonard S

Jan 21, 2018

An excellent course taught by a talented professor. The course gave me a better appreciation of the influence of Greece in the classical era to our present day society. It did make me interested to reading more and thinking about visiting Greece one day.

By Natalia K

Jan 28, 2016

An amazing course! I have found many interesting details and also received completely new way of seeing the history of democracy! Special acknowledgment to professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak for his work and generous way to give knowledge to the students!

By Miriam E G

Apr 22, 2018

Un curso super completo para iniciar el estudio de Grecia en tiempos antiguos. Un profesor muy didáctico. Los materiales sugeridos son abundantes para quienes quieran seguir estudiando. Uno de los mejores cursos de historia en Coursera por lejos!!!

By Caitlin B

Sep 13, 2015

What an excellent course! The lecturer sets a good pace and is very engaging. The subject matter is interesting, and the course hours per week are very reasonable. I also really like the MCQs to consolidate your learning at the end of each lecture.

By Jemima P

Feb 18, 2016

This was an excellent course on The Ancient Greeks. I studied Ancient History and Archaeology at University a few years ago and I found this a brilliant refresher to knowledge I had forgotten. It was well structured and interestingly taught.

By Jonathan C

Dec 19, 2020

Outstanding course. A fair amount of work is required for someone with little or no previous background in Ancient Greece, however I thoroughly enjoyed reading and researching the topics. The video lectures are excellent, thank you Andrew.