Back to Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers by Vanderbilt University

4.2

This 4 week MOOC builds upon the overview of Java and Android covered in Course 1 by delving deeper into core Android app components, such as intents, activities, and broadcast receivers. You will learn by example how to program these core Android components together with Android concurrency frameworks and basic Java file I/O classes (such as File and InputStream) and Android storage mechanisms (such as Shared Preferences). You'll also learn how to use the Git source code management system. Throughout this MOOC you'll work incrementally on a project involving downloading, storing, and display images from remote websites. Each week you will add additional capabilities to the project, based on material covered in the lecture videos. You'll spend roughly 4 hours per week watching video lectures, taking quizzes, and programming assignments with Java and Android....

AT
Oct 7, 2018

Very good examples, I recomend taking the optional homework if you can. I couldn't take every but you can learn a lot from this course.

CK
Sep 16, 2017

I really appreciate this course, too good to understand the android framework fundamentals and how they work together.\n\nThanks.

151 - 175 of 191 Reviews for Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers

By Sunil K ( P m

Sep 26, 2021

nice

By Akash G

Oct 24, 2020

good

By Ekta A

Feb 17, 2019

good

By Ajay K

Feb 16, 2017

d

By Ben v d B

Aug 6, 2019

The lessons themselves were excellent. Unfortunately there is a rather large disconnect between the optional programming exercises and the lessons. Unless you have a background in computer programming and/or don't mind Googling for answers quite a bit you will struggle understanding what's going on in these exercises. You can generally complete the exercises and get a running program, but actually knowing what's going on is something else. It would have been better had they used a smaller/simpler project, that didn't offer so much as an app, but at least would have given students a better insight in how their code and the learned material work. This is in stark contrast to the previous MOOC in this same series. It's clear why these exercises are optional and I assume the majority op people don't actually do them. The majority of comments in the forums are related to not understanding what's going on in these exercises and it's not uncommon to see the last instructor comment being over a year old and usually not very helpful. You are on your own in this one!

By Andreas G

Mar 16, 2018

This course might better be called "Android system programming" - and is not even particularly bad at that. Being a beginner at mobile App development, I would have expected some hints on designing a good and userfriendly UI, preparing the basic control flow in an App and - yes - using Intents to tie them together. As the course is designed, the UI is not even mentioned once, let alone designed by the learner - it's just given pre-defined as a "black box" in the - fully optional - "fill in the blanks", non-graded programming exercises

If you are interested in a theoretical overview of the technicalities of Intents and Broadcasts, this course will give you plenty to chew on. If you are looking for some more hands-on practical experience, it would be my advice to look somewhere else.

By Lidiya I

Aug 22, 2017

On one hand, there were simple and explicit things told for a too long time. I regret about attending a few lessons of the course, because it would be enough for me to look at the source code of demo applications, I guess no one would be eager to listen about the source code for minutes instead of looking at it. It's well documented and pretty obvious, why should any other explanations be provided?

On another hand, I learned a few things I missed earlier and got a few ideas for better realizations in my projects, so thank you for that.

By Joshua D

Jan 5, 2017

There is a lot of good information in the course about how different components communicate with each other in android; however, there is way too much information way too fast. I really enjoyed the rhythm in the first course but, this course left me lost more times than not. Its a great course if you plan on spending large amounts of time searching the web for other resources to complete the optional assignments

By Moh. A R

Apr 14, 2020

This course is good but totally theoretical course. You need to self study. Topics are not connected well and a rushed course. If you are a beginner then you will face a lot of issues just like I did. You will also end up crying. Practical stuffs are totally less. If you are ready to do self study then you can do this course or else this course is not for you.

By jesus

Feb 10, 2017

It was a good Mooc, but I think it should imply many more examples to be made by the own students along the course. I really liked the previous one (Java for Android) and of course I´m going to finish the rest of courses. It´s worth it. On the other hand, examples are good and explanations properly presented. Good... but not as good as the previous.

By 曾理

Oct 20, 2021

I don't like the second course of this specialization, the instructor talks too much about the "big picture". when it comes to details of implementing an simple component such as intent, activity,boradcast receiver, the sample code is not simple enough and some code is even depreciated.

By David W

Aug 14, 2020

Would've been a good course when it was released, now all the projects are out of date, causing them to be very difficult to get to build let alone complete the assignments. In addition, there are no project solutions provided to check if the code I wrote is correct or not.

By Ryan C

Nov 27, 2017

I missed having the required programming assignments from the Java for Android course. I feel like I learned more (even though I did the optional assignments). Also feel like the videos barely teach some critical basics that come up in the programming assigment

By Isabelle D

Aug 14, 2019

What happened to the basics of Android development, like how to create a UI and interact with it? Receiving input and so on? I am glad I had those basics down beforehand, but someone new to android would have trouble following along

By greg a

Jul 27, 2020

There were no required programming assignments, therefore the optional assignments were not properly updated, i.e. their testing units failed to compile. I saw little evidence that the instructor responds to any student questions.

By Mandy

Nov 1, 2016

Overall it is OK, but the example framework is more like created for teach purpose which is not practical in industry. Moreover, it seems there are many incorrect part in the assignment especially optional code assignments.

By Ilham

Dec 20, 2020

The content is fantastic but I would've liked more graded assignments with intents and broadcast receivers. Furthermore, the optional assignments have several build issues unlike MOOC1

By Nafi-Us S

Aug 17, 2020

Codes provided were buggy. Could not run in Android Studio. There was no good work-around this issue in forums either. Other than that, a good course. Made a lot of topics clearer.

By Kristopher G

Oct 8, 2017

Great conceptual overview of the topics, although a bit too immersive. The module would benefit from simpler exercises to consolidate a student's understanding

By Margerite B

Jun 25, 2017

I good a overview of the topics but I don't understand them well enough to implement them. For me the course is too fast.