Back to Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Animal Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

Animal welfare has been described as a complex, multi-faceted public policy issue which includes important scientific, ethical, and other dimensions. Improving our understanding of animal welfare, involves the fascinating study of animal behavior as well as the challenge of accessing the emotions of animals. This is the On-Demand version of this course, which means you can start the course at any time and work through the course materials at your own pace. The materials and quizzes will always be available to you. You can come and talk about the course on Twitter using the hashtag #EdAniWelf...

AS
Jun 21, 2020

This course was very informative and interesting! I enjoyed the lectures as well as the instructors and also loved that it focused on many different kinds animal welfare issues. Definitely recommend!

PR
Apr 27, 2020

Its a nicely designed course. It sheds light on many animal care practices and welfare. Very well instructions and quiz sessions are arranged. Many important learnings and takeaways from the course.

26 - 50 of 971 Reviews for Animal Behaviour and Welfare

By Usha V G B

Feb 12, 2019

I learned a lot of great information. Well done to my teachers, and thankyou!!!! Usha Valerie Grace Bailey

By Kimberley G

Mar 12, 2019

Well designed, insightful, comprehensive. A great introduction into animal behaviour!

By Hui-Yu W

Oct 20, 2018

Very informative and comprehensive

By David

Apr 10, 2019

well labeled and taught course

By Na Y K

Jul 10, 2018

Fantastic

By azeeza B

Jan 19, 2021

COURSE SHOULD PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WALFARE RELATED TOPICS

By Kathy L

Oct 29, 2017

This course gave me a lot of things to think about. For example, the stereotypies exhibited by animals that have had negative experiences reminded me of how some people with autism display stereotypies in their response to sensory stimulation (either hyporeactivity or hyper-reactivity). That might be an interesting thing to explore neurologically, but I know very little about neurology, so hopefully a specialist somewhere will make the connection. Also, I have eleven indoor cats that I believe are in need of more interaction from me and mental stimulation in their environment. I need to work on this. They are all safe from the crazy drivers where I live, but I want them to have fulfilling lives. I guess that's my conundrum: How do my husband and I work and keep my cats happy at the same time?

By Katie S

Mar 17, 2020

I went into this course thinking it would confirm my beliefs that we shouldn't eat animals. However, I have come to learn that it's not just about the ethics - we're called to look at things from an objective view as well when considering how animal feel, think, react, or why they behave the way they do. It definitely opened my eyes to logical ways of observing and providing for animals that are being raised for foods. I still don't eat meat, but I am more at ease knowing that there are measures put in place for animal welfare based on research and data that suggests animals had a say in how they are housed / treated. I also don't feel as "emotional" or subjectively angry about these things. I'm just glad we've made progress and we're continuing to make progress!

By Alisha D

Jul 22, 2020

As an A-Level student (Year 12), who is hoping to go on and study veterinary medicine, this course was very interesting and informative. Due to the Coronavirus my work experience has been put on hold so this course will provide me with a topic to discuss in my vet school interviews. Although it may seem daunting to start a course with seven weeks, I completed it in five days whilst still taking my time to make notes and fully comprehend the material. I would encourage anyone considering taking this course to do so because it will help with your understanding and view on animals which you can use in your daily life (especially if you have a pet of your own).

By Morgan F

Jul 24, 2020

IF you want a better understanding of what animals of go through this course will provide you with the knowledge and realization. That you might think animals have a pretty nice life, but no. In this course we learn about there welfare needs and there five freedoms that they desire.

Before I took this course I truly believed animals were living a pretty nice live, but after seeing the videos and these amazing perfessors and researches discuss and explain some of the negatives animals have to live with. I am proud to say, this course has opened my eyes to see the true and that everyday people are trying to fix the animals welfare.

By Daniela B P

Jul 18, 2020

The course was amazing, all the content was pertinent but also very interesting, focusing on a lot of topics that even me, as a veterinarian, never put into perspective and never actually gave such deep thought about. All the experts seems very nice and professional, they all talk very fluently with great terminology that, even though english is not my first language (Greetings from Colombia!), it wasn't difficult to understand.

Thank you so much to all the experts for sharing their knowledge with us. Keep the great work!

I enjoyed the course very much and hope to see more in the future!

By Jorge R G C

Feb 10, 2016

The course was very concise and accessible. I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of people involved in the course, each one of them presenting their field of expertise. Sometimes a quiz-based course can be a bit dull, but the hangouts and comments let you question certain topics or practices and add depth to the discussion. I would recommend it to anyone interested in a brief, general introduction to animal behaviour and welfare (do keep in mind that it is not an animal ethics course, but the information provided can help you question or strengthen ethical positions).

By Maria K T M

Aug 22, 2020

Very informative and I appreciate the definitions and terms added for such a limited amount of time. Sources provided are also helpful for additional reading and the course does show that it cares for the learner to be well-informed and to be entertained because this course is also persuasive as each video of the lesson shows visually the environment on what the topic is about-- for example if it is about zoo animals they provide videos related to it and inserts slides as well to show what they are talking about which is very helpful for further understanding.

By asheesh s

Apr 7, 2020

Very very informative and motivational to sensitize us towards the welfare aspects of all animals, most important is that it opens our eyes to see these animals not from our point of views but try to see their world with their eyes and its not important that what we think, more important is what we do for these sentient animals. Thank you very much for opening our eyes, making us to think in a different way, broader way and specially to sensitize us to focus on various welfare issues and giving special attention towards the BEHAVIORAL part of animal welfare.

By Katerina P

Nov 27, 2019

Very helpful, well organized, eye opening course! Loved it! It made me want to study more on the subject of animal welfare and behavior.

I think this course would be beneficial for everyone today, regardless of if they have animals in their life or not, as it gives a very solid perspective, demystification, and understanding of what a good animal welfare means, how to assess it and how to objectively view the problematic of animal welfare in different areas, such as pets, farm/production animals, wild animals in captivity, etc.

I highly recommend this course!

By Desai N H

Feb 10, 2021

Got to know cutting edge research being conducted in animal welfare science. Relevant research crux was shared throughout the course, it is the best part of this learning experience. Covered the animal kingdom which we interact directly or indirectly in great diversity. The professional manner in which all the instructors curated the course is admirable. Mentors' quick and continuous support in discussion forum made the journey more exciting. Tests were also insightful and in a way taught welfare concerns afresh and it will be remembered for long!

By Jana R B

Aug 15, 2016

What an informative course! Your Professors (all women, and which I find very impressive and inspiring) are so knowledgeable, so broad-based, as well as detail-oriented in their quest to bring animal rights to the forefront of worldwide consciousness. I would love to visit University of Edinburgh someday, I'm an alumnus of University of Montana (B.A.) and Gonzaga University (M.A., and Ph.D. candidacy). Thanks so very much for offering this most important course for free and to make it available for certification so that it can be added to any resume.

By Brittany R

Oct 14, 2018

Very informative, and it helped me see aspects of everyday life that were definitely "out of sight, out of mind" as it often is with lifestock (for those not in farming or thinking about what they eat/where it comes from), wild animals in zoos and conservation sites, as well as animals used in lab testing which I had always been curious about since I work at a cancer research journal. I'm interested in learning more and advocating for animals in any way I can while still trying not to anthropomorphize them so much (as humans are wont to do).

By Eddy L

Feb 25, 2016

This is a very nice course. Thank you so very much for it.

It covers so many aspects of Animal Welfare. At the introduction, it is explained on how to have a useful discussion on such a delicate subject.

With so much information and facts given, one can develop their very own opinion on this Animal Welfare.

I find it very important to cover Animal Welfare for anyone, who works with any kind of animals.Alongside this course I studied Dognition and Basic Horse Management. Soon I will be starting Dairy Farm Management and Horse Nutrition.

By Melanie M

Mar 2, 2018

This is a great way of getting some education on the subject. I love animals and hope to work for an animal welfare charity as my next career move. I currently work in an Aquarium but in the operations side so I hope this shows potential employers my passion on the subject. For someone that is older and unfortunately can't afford to study full time, these courses are a great way of testing the brain! Really easy to learn whilst keeping up a hectic lifestyle! Thanks Coursera, I have already signed up to The Truth about Cat's and Dogs!

By Irenke B

Aug 23, 2020

This course was so much more than I expected it to be! I learnt a lot and I'm excited to put the knowledge I gained into use in my new career path. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about AW. The only downside is that a lot of the additional resources aren't accessible unless you can buy/rent the books or have access to research papers (if you're in university maybe?). But the actual course content was informative in itself. I look forward to learning from other Uni of Edinburgh animal-related courses :)

By Hawra F A

Aug 20, 2020

A great introduction to animal welfare! Comprehensive and option to watch previous years' livestreams :)

The discussion forums seem lovely too, but I didn't use them much. But when I did open them, I saw a comprehensive post on goat and sheep care, I think, as an addition to farm animal care which was the week's topic. It was quite comprehensive and also had detailed input from someone with actual goats. I'm sure that might have been more but I didn't out much time going through it, but I would love to someday in the future :)

By Suneet C

The course was very engaging and stimulating. The lectures were very passionate about Animal Welfare and this made it more fun and interesting. The course has also challenged me to think about certain welfare aspects I had no previous knowledge about. In addition, the additional material and optional module were interesting topics to consider and think about especially for a student like me in the veterinary field. I would like to thank all the lectures for their help and for delivering this informative course.

Nov 18, 2015

Five weeks in and this is one of the best courses going, This is a course every potential animal carer should take before considering 'cute' and 'expensive' just because they come with a certificate of pedigree with names one can't pronounce of prize winning ancestry. Drive past the puppy and kitten factories and go down to ones local RSPCA centre or council pound instead, you will never regret it. Rescue animals are the best because they will never forget your kindness for giving them a nice comfortable home.

By Khalisya A P

Nov 21, 2020

As a veterinary medicine student in Indonesia, I feel that subjects about animal behavior are not too emphasized in our studies. Through this course, I have learned many new pieces of information and eye-opening facts about animal behavior and welfare. Even though the standards of how we should treat animals may be different in Asia and Europe, hopefully I will still be able to use this course as a reference in my future career. Thank you to Coursera for letting me learn through this course for free.