Back to Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Animal Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

Animal welfare has been described as a complex, multi-faceted public policy issue which includes important scientific, ethical, and other dimensions. Improving our understanding of animal welfare, involves the fascinating study of animal behavior as well as the challenge of accessing the emotions of animals. This is the On-Demand version of this course, which means you can start the course at any time and work through the course materials at your own pace. The materials and quizzes will always be available to you. You can come and talk about the course on Twitter using the hashtag #EdAniWelf...

AS

Jun 21, 2020

This course was very informative and interesting! I enjoyed the lectures as well as the instructors and also loved that it focused on many different kinds animal welfare issues. Definitely recommend!

PR

Apr 27, 2020

Its a nicely designed course. It sheds light on many animal care practices and welfare. Very well instructions and quiz sessions are arranged. Many important learnings and takeaways from the course.

951 - 975 of 1,080 Reviews for Animal Behaviour and Welfare

By Matthew M

Dec 10, 2021

Excellent and informative course on animal welfare. I was happy to see that the course does not take one single ethical approach and instead allows us to make our own opinions based on evidence-based research. I would rate this 5 stars but unfortunately some of the additional resources no longer work as they rely on Flash player which is no longer supported, and the course is not going to be updated to fix this.

By Marta S

May 16, 2020

I really liked this course! I learned a lot. I'm a biology student so I already knew that we had to do a lot to keep the animals with a good welfare, but didn't had the notion of how much we needed to do. This course really helped me to understand more about things that I hadn't even tought about, for example, how the welfare of animals are measured in a farm and how they do things. Thank you for this course! :)

By Megan T

Jul 22, 2020

A well-designed course; easy to follow and make notes. The questions in the assessments are phrased in such a way to make students really think about the answers, but would also have liked some essay-style/short answer questions. Was slightly disappointed to see in Week 6 that circus-kept animals are deemed acceptable by the course creators. Otherwise, this course was very enjoyable

By Jennessa P

Apr 28, 2020

Great course to explore the issues revolving around animal welfare in a variety of capacities. The instructors were easy to follow and a pleasure to listen to. This is a perfect course for beginners wishing to enter the field of animal care, however even as an individual with extensive knowledge of the work, I still found the course to be stimulating. Thank you team!

By daniela a

Aug 13, 2017

Was a didactic course and was simple to understand for those who are not experts in the subject, for those who do not study anything related to animals but want to have a closer approach to animal welfare.

In my case, I am a passionate yogi, vegan 4 years ago and for this reason I will always be in favor of welfare and animal protection.

Thank you very much.

By Dianne N

Jul 6, 2020

I hope you have watched the movie, "Love and Bananas."

It reveals the treatment of Asian elephants in order to ready them for the tourist industry or logging. They are beaten into submission. I was distressed to see the use of circuses and other animal entertainment as a part of Week 6. It exists, yet at the expense of the welfare of these sentient beings.

By Marisa P

Oct 19, 2021

The course is very informative. It has sparked a real interest in animal welfare for me. My only criticism would have to be the need for the outdated flash player plug in for some of the course material, having to read through the PDF versions doesn't give the same learning outcome. Information is outstanding, the delivery software a little outdated.

By Malak R D

Sep 28, 2021

The course discussed some forgotten subjects that are little talked about.

Its amazing for whomever loves animals and wants to learn some scientific information about, but there is two not very good things n=in it, first the interactive sessions, which do not work at all, next that there is some types of animals that are not discussed fully, like birds.

By Samantha H

Oct 6, 2019

A really interesting course that addressed the major welfare issues of a range of animals, both captive and their wild counterparts. The only thing I would say is some of the questions were worded in a way that was a bit ambiguous and the answers weren't necessarily clear based on the supporting material.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed this course!

By mypatigar

Jul 23, 2020

hello,

thanks for sharing your knowledge. but even on my iPad, I can not see the additional material, it is a shame that we require to use more than one device to know what's inside, and I am sure that was very interesting. For me, the best module was #5 about wildlife in captivity.

Congrats to all.

By Vanessa G O

Sep 17, 2020

En lo personal el curso se me hizo muy enriquecedor, ya que pude aprender muchas cosas nuevas y también pude complementar los conocimientos que tenia. Este curso también me ayudo a tener otra perspectiva acerca del bienestar animal, ya que esto va mas haya de lo que los seres humanos podemos suponer.

By Pelden N

Dec 26, 2020

This basics of animal behavior and welfare course has really bettered my approach towards dealing with animals. It has deepened my knowledge on the animals behaviors, and offered new windows into managing welfare from their point of view.

Thank you course era for providing the course free of cost.

By papp a

Nov 23, 2016

Very interesting and easy going apart of the informal and scientific based lectures. I enjoy it a lot!!

100% recommended not only for thoose who have a pet dog, but for all of us to understand better our four legged friends who live and a pat of human soceity!!! :))))

Well Done!!

By Alex M

May 30, 2021

It is an informative course which gives a broad understanding of the issues related to Animal Behavior and Welfare.

The tests are quite good and helped me in assessing my understanding. The videos were relevant and helpful in explaining the issues related to Animal Welfare.

By Candace T

Feb 29, 2016

Great instructors and good information. I would recommend this course for anyone who is interested in aspects of animal welfare across the board, but especially for someone who is considering getting their first pet. The concepts are explained well, and easy to understand.

By Avril S

Jul 22, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this course! It was fun and continuously peaked my interest towards eithical problems regarding animals, their domestication and their roles within our society. I learned more about the meat industry aswell as certain psychological traits of animals.

By Hernando E

Jul 21, 2020

Very interesting course...the ethical questions are far more numerous and complex than I ever imagined they could be.

A few of the video segments were a little repetitive.

The difficulty level was appropriate for beginners in this field.

Overall a very good course.

By raksha h

Jun 6, 2020

The course is really well structured and informative. I learnt a lot and also enjoyed the course. All the basics of welfare of various animals ranging from street dogs to captive animals in zoos and the domesticated animals, were covered with great insights.

By arushi s

Sep 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed elating about animal welfare issues. It was specifically instructing to me to know about animal farming as that is something we come across a lot but this course did give a very deep understanding of how it works.

By ana b v

Jul 27, 2017

Excellent course, very interesting, great platform, but I am not able to get the free certificate. Excellent course, very interesting, great platform, but I am not able to acquire the free certificate, so I will give only four stars.

By Tanmayi P

Jun 26, 2016

This was a really cool, fun course, and I learned a LOT, but I was hoping that they would talk more about the animals in captivity, and major issues relating to them. Other than that, it was an interesting topic to learn about!

By Vicente A R G

Aug 2, 2020

me pareció en muy buen curso, con harta información y materiales para aprender, lo único que me causo un poco de frustración fue que algunos vídeos NO tenían subtitulo en español, por consecuencia no entendía al 100% el vídeo

By Amanda L

Jul 18, 2021

Very interesting and eye opening. However, I could not access the additional materials that used flash plugin although I have installed it. Nonetheless, the course definitely inspired me to fight for animal welfare issues

By Liz B

Sep 13, 2018

Very informative course, although it is sometimes painful to read as they cover ethical issues and the sad reality of slaughter. However, I found it very well covered, as a vegetarian, this course strengthened my beliefs

By Cara S

Jan 27, 2017

I really enjoyed the perspective and things I learned. I thought I could have scored higher on the quizzes because I was saying the same thing as them, but just in a different way. I would recommend this course.