Back to Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

The course will cover the topics related to antimicrobial resistance with basic definitions and overview on antimicrobials their use and the emergence and spread of resistance. The course will guide you through the concepts and the importance of resistance spread and dissemination and how that happens. It will show you how bacteria become resistant and which mechanisms they might use for this. And as part of the course you will also receive some training in methods for antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) and detection of specific resistance in the microbiological laboratories with the basic methods available and with focus on the obtention of good quality results which can be interpreted and used for different purposes. Additionally, it will show you how to use genomic analysis tools to analyze whole genome sequencing data to detect resistance genes (and or other genes of interest) in a simple and easy way using online tools freely available. In the new new version an additional module including detection of specific resistance mechanisms was added. After this course you should be able to: 1. Describe the most important families of antimicrobials and mode of action 2. Understand the basic concepts of antimicrobial resistance from several perspectives (clinical, research and microbiological) 3. Enumerate and describe how bacteria can become resistant and the mechanisms that may be involved in that process 4. Describe how antimicrobial resistance emerges and spreads around the world including concepts of antimicrobial resistance transfer, selection and dissemination 5. Enumerate the methods used for antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) 6. Compare dilution and diffusion methods and know the basic techniques of agar disk diffusion, broth dilution and agar dilution methods 7. Have detailed theoretical knowledge on how to perform the main methods in a laboratory 8. Know the basic concepts about analysis and interpretation of results of AST, including different breakpoints, cut-off setting and their applications. 9. Understand the importance and related concepts related to quality management and quality assurance method standardization, applied to AST 10. Relate the information obtained in this course with real cases of resistant bacteria spreading in patients, the community, animals or the environment 11. Relate the phenotypical results with results from genotyping using molecular techniques for detection of resistance mechanisms 12. Understand the concept and be able to apply genomic analysis tools used to detect resistance genes and other relevant genes from Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) data (with demonstration of selected online tools) Disclaimer: Please note that the guidelines and methods referred or links included in these materials are updated when the videos lectures are produced and before the course is released, however these might become outdated with time....

DJ
Nov 14, 2016

It was really a good lectures and please I want to know about my certificate in have already purchased this course and submitted all\n\nThe documents let me know when will I get my certificate .

KD
Aug 30, 2020

I would personally recommend this course to any student aiming for a brief introduction to antimicrobial resistance and also to anyone looking for a very nice and quick brushup of the concepts.

251 - 275 of 334 Reviews for Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods

By Ayse S K

May 7, 2020

Lecture and tutorial (Lina CAVACO) in the first weeks was very fluid and sincere. He even described complex issues in an illustrative way. In general, the course also provided very enlightening information about antimicrobial drugs. However, the topics in recent weeks were a bit detailed and my frequency did not match with the narrators. I would like to thank all the teachers and those who contributed to the course. Good work

By Yuri T C

Apr 10, 2017

Good course, gives a good notion of the basics. Very technical (as in it emphasizes more the technical part of antimicrobial testing) and basic (in the theoretical part). I'm an MD student, currently on my final year. The course brought up new aspects to the antibiogram that I was oblivious about, something that I think is very important for the modern-age physician.

By Marinela V d F M

Jun 19, 2020

The course was very interesting, clear and objective. I learned a lot about AMR, and how to work with AMR at the laboratory and how to report the results with world, now I am more clarified in how to start working in my country in particular in my my lab with AMR.

I want to thank you the Doctors for all the lectures.

By Alpha L

Nov 15, 2020

The course is beneficial to veterinarians like me who have understood the concept of AMR better. Room for improvement though includes better transcript as some transcriptions are erroneous (e.g should be ISOLATE but indicated as ISLETS. All in all a good course for those who would like to understand the importance of AMR.

By Adya S

Jul 7, 2020

The course of Antimicrobial resistance was indeed good. In a short span of time I have learnt great things. I personally expressed my heartfelt gratitute to Covaco ma'am and the team for the perfect demonstration and easy access to modules. Also I liked the design , the pace of lecture delivery and everything.

By Diana M

Oct 28, 2020

I really enjoy this course. The lectures were comprehensive and yet easy to follow. They were able to provide me with plenty of new information and guidance for my professional day to day. The last lectures were a bit too dense but nonetheless interesting.

By Nausheen F

Jun 3, 2017

it was a nice introduction to antimicrobial resistance and how they can be countered. Some parts of the course at the end go into detail which might get boring for someone who just wants to get basic information. Overall, a good starter course!

By Md. S H

Jun 1, 2020

First of all thanks to all course instructor for taking their valuable time to teach us. I have learnt many things but i would highly suggest to improve the presentation of the topic because i didn't understand some point due to its hardness.

By Malarkodi

Dec 27, 2018

Loved the lectures till Week 4 given by Lina Cavaco. I have no prior background in biology hence those were easy to understand. Week 5 lectures got more technical and I could not understand them.

A great course for understanding basics!

By Harini S

Nov 12, 2020

The course focuses on the laboratory methods and understanding of practical terms than the mechanism of action of drugs and drug resistance. Overall very informative. Definitely learnt a lot of new concepts.

By Leandro C

Dec 4, 2016

This course is very interesting but in some points it get repetitive and it gets boring. I recommend to reduce some videos and not to say the same thing too many time even when it's very important

By Divya K

Sep 27, 2020

Though it was an intermediate course, I found it easy enough to keep up with the microbiological terminology used and the themes being explained. It was a good and informative course.

By cristina c d

Dec 5, 2017

I found it a really good course, useful from the basic topics to the more complex ones. I will recommend it undoubtedly to anyone who would be interested in antimicrobial resistance.

By Cristian J R C

Jan 22, 2017

It was a really good course, but I think there´s a lot of repetitions in many lectures. It´d be good to avoid that aspect in order to provide more information to the people.

By Islam M M M

Sep 11, 2018

It was a very helpful and useful course , I enjoyed it very much , but I hope to be more questions during video as in sometimes get boring and too much information, Thanks.

By Soumya G

May 4, 2020

it was very informative course on antimicrobial resistance and helped a lot in learning about the resistance gained by microbials and how it can affect in long terms.

By Rituparna S

Jun 29, 2016

Great Course!! Some lectures were repetitive. So I'd like to suggest the course advisors to cut down on those lectures. Overall it was a great learning experience!!

By Fabio L F

Jul 5, 2017

Excellent content with a rich subject giving us good basis to explore and learn more on the subject and apply the acquired knowledge into many different fields.

By Lydia S

Feb 26, 2017

I did like to course very much. However, the in the last video, although the lecturer tried to speak clearly, I didn't understand all things very well.

By vijay s

Feb 21, 2019

it is really a good course for a microbiology student, i learned lots of things.

please add more practical evidences and discussions, if possible.

By Zion A D

Oct 2, 2020

The explanation was good & the topics covered were really interesting, I found them too important, since it's very much related to my field.

By Jessica L O B

Apr 7, 2020

I learned a lot regarding antimicrobial testing, I work with antibiotic resistance and this course allow me to know and improve my knowledge

By SAYARI D

Dec 31, 2017

Great set of teachers. This course has really helped me in clearing my concepts on Antimicrobial resistance- mechanisms and testing methods.

By PaulaNakase

Aug 15, 2016

I really enjoyed the course, being a complete novice i found it challenging to understand some of the technical terms but learnt alot.

By DIVY S

Oct 9, 2020

I gained some valuable information regarding AMR and came to know about various resistances.

Thus it was great learning with you guys