Back to Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

The course will cover the topics related to antimicrobial resistance with basic definitions and overview on antimicrobials their use and the emergence and spread of resistance. The course will guide you through the concepts and the importance of resistance spread and dissemination and how that happens. It will show you how bacteria become resistant and which mechanisms they might use for this. And as part of the course you will also receive some training in methods for antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) and detection of specific resistance in the microbiological laboratories with the basic methods available and with focus on the obtention of good quality results which can be interpreted and used for different purposes. Additionally, it will show you how to use genomic analysis tools to analyze whole genome sequencing data to detect resistance genes (and or other genes of interest) in a simple and easy way using online tools freely available. In the new new version an additional module including detection of specific resistance mechanisms was added. After this course you should be able to: 1. Describe the most important families of antimicrobials and mode of action 2. Understand the basic concepts of antimicrobial resistance from several perspectives (clinical, research and microbiological) 3. Enumerate and describe how bacteria can become resistant and the mechanisms that may be involved in that process 4. Describe how antimicrobial resistance emerges and spreads around the world including concepts of antimicrobial resistance transfer, selection and dissemination 5. Enumerate the methods used for antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) 6. Compare dilution and diffusion methods and know the basic techniques of agar disk diffusion, broth dilution and agar dilution methods 7. Have detailed theoretical knowledge on how to perform the main methods in a laboratory 8. Know the basic concepts about analysis and interpretation of results of AST, including different breakpoints, cut-off setting and their applications. 9. Understand the importance and related concepts related to quality management and quality assurance method standardization, applied to AST 10. Relate the information obtained in this course with real cases of resistant bacteria spreading in patients, the community, animals or the environment 11. Relate the phenotypical results with results from genotyping using molecular techniques for detection of resistance mechanisms 12. Understand the concept and be able to apply genomic analysis tools used to detect resistance genes and other relevant genes from Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) data (with demonstration of selected online tools) Disclaimer: Please note that the guidelines and methods referred or links included in these materials are updated when the videos lectures are produced and before the course is released, however these might become outdated with time....

FH
Dec 30, 2020

As a microbiology student, I can say that I've learned so many theoretical and practical methods involving antimicrobial resistance as well as bacteriology in general. Huge thanks to great lecturers!

MW
Jul 22, 2021

Very clear and informative to give insights about what's happening in the area of antimicrobial resistance, as well as the urgency to do identification and surveilance of antimicrobial resistance

26 - 50 of 384 Reviews for Antimicrobial resistance - theory and methods

By Audrey V

Jul 3, 2018

I learned a lot from this course. Because of the comprehensive lessons and clear explanation of terms and standard protocols, i was and still able to apply such to my Honours and now Master's degree project that i am currently busy with. Thank you so much for the opportunity.

By Francis G

Dec 6, 2020

I really enjoyed all the wonderful and awesome lectures and presentations from all the lecturers in this course. I have also gained a lot of knowledges and skills, hoping to get the best out of it.

Thank you very much for this good opportunity to learn during this hard time.

By Nawel S

Apr 20, 2020

Great thanks for the entire team especially Dr Lina Cavaco for her pedagogical qualities.

I am very pleased with this course, which helped me fill knowledge gaps that I had about microbiology and antimicrobial resistance. See you soon for another course.

Nawel from Algeria.

By Shania F

Sep 20, 2020

This course really explained alot of stuff and the procedures involved in finding the resistance of bacteria!!! Amazing actually and in detail where one can understand better... I truly enjoyed. The matter and the diagrams the pictures!! All were really up to the mark!

By Varun B

This is a very good course. It covers all the basic and essential information related. The methods are very well explained by the lecturers. The quizzes were conducted very nicely with logical questions also. I have gained much new information regarding the subject.

By KUMARESAN K

Thank you very much; excellent course to learn the person who are working in the field of antimicrobial therapeutics and related drug assays. This course will be helpful to learn and update the deep fundamental knowledge of antimicrobial susceptibility assay

By HANY

Jan 21, 2020

Thank you for providing this great lecture with a critical and modern hot topic and sensitive global problem, superbugs. Through your exciting website, we can learn, active, and participate in a comfortable and very efficient way.

We are very appreciated.

By Teresa M

Jun 17, 2020

Me gustó mucho el curso, se explica todo muy claro y se ve que las personas que exponen dominan el tema. Se pueden descargar las diapositivas sin problema. Espero que próximamente se hiciera algo similar pero en hongos. Gracias por este excelente curso.

By Isabel M B

Mar 25, 2020

Overall great course for learning about antimicrobial resistance. Of course you need to have some background in the area to make the most out of the course. This makes it so that it's a wonderful course for people working in this area of expertise.

By kartikey u

Aug 12, 2020

I'm quite new to the field of antimicrobial drug development and this course has given me a useful insight into the thought process that goes on inside the head of the people that excel at this . It has been an exciting journey . Thanks a lot !

By Muhammad D H

Jun 10, 2020

Excellent course, had learnt a lot about antimicrobial resistance its theories, methods, the techniques, technology used in Laboratories and resistance in E.coli, MRSA and others. Thankyou for providing us this course, looking forward for more

By SUMITRA P

Oct 1, 2017

Hello maam,

Really this course is very interesting. I am a veterinary graduate. As in animals also now-a-days, there is deliberate use of antibiotics and knowledge on this is really very much necessary. Thank you so much for your lectures.

By Dr. A D

Jul 17, 2020

The speakers were awesome especially Lina cavaco,she conveyed each point in a very simple manner that we could understand and score well in this course. Loved the course very much and Thank you coursera for giving such a wonderful course.

By HEENABA J

Mar 18, 2021

It was a very very interesting and knowledgeable videos about antimicrobial resistance processes it's concept , about its mechanism and it's good to be a part of such online courses and detail description about all the topics , thank you

By Kanagarajadurai K

Jun 19, 2018

The course was more useful and the contents were appropriate to fulfill the need of the course. The lectures were delivered in a serial manner with a connections between them. The lecturers were confident enough to deliver the lectures.

By ARINDA S

Jan 22, 2021

I want to thank my lecturers, this course has been helpful to me, I have learnt alot about antimicrobial resistance, thoerotical and practical , I have added alot on my skills , I can't thank you enough my instructors. Thank you

By Daniel L

Feb 21, 2021

Soy de ciencias exactas . Buen curso para ser introductorio, gracias a los profesores del DTU; en los test si habían algunas opciones de respuesta no mencionadas en la expo, quizá para los expertos en el área, no importa hoho.

By Amy W

Aug 23, 2020

Overall I thought this course was great! I learned a great deal about specific testing methods and resistance mechanisms which I'll be able to directly apply to my work in surveillance of antimicrobial use and resistance.

By Doralys A R A

Jun 23, 2020

Excellent course! Highly recommended. The techniques, the protocols, everything very well explained. Excellent teachers. I can only thank you for such a valuable effort and for sharing your knowledge with us. Blessings.

By Ricardo E

Oct 7, 2017

I really enjoyed doing this course. Lecturers have a great understanding and vision on the approached subjects and i am sure it will be very useful for my work. I will definitely recommend this course to colleagues

By Dipansu S

Jan 29, 2018

This course has benefitted me well , I'm a history student though i have a keen interest in biological stuffs. I enjoyed this session it enabled me to comprehensive understanding of bacteria and it's resistance

By Ilias A

Jun 26, 2017

A well structured course on Antimicrobial Resistance organized by experts in the field. Highly recommended for beginners in this research area but a good option to refresh and update your knowledge as well.

By Jan K T E

Dec 22, 2016

Thank you to DTU especially to Dr. Lina Cavaco for expanding my knowledge about drug resistance and antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Hoping for more lessons about drug resistance. Thank you once again

By Ghanem M G M

Aug 20, 2019

I have learned that antimicrobial resistance is a big concern in every country and as such necessary steps should be taken to curb this.

I really learned a lot. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity

By Made R D W

Jul 23, 2021

V​ery clear and informative to give insights about what's happening in the area of antimicrobial resistance, as well as the urgency to do identification and surveilance of antimicrobial resistance